BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#3501 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-21, 16:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-February-21, 15:54, said:

The overall amount is not what's the issue here, it's just that 3 months worth falls in a day

In my region of the world, "atmospheric river" is a term that has become common on the weather segments of local news programs. This is usually followed by days of torrential rainfall.

#3502 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-08, 11:24

Noah Smith interviews David Roberts

I like these guys and I enjoy reading their stuff - Roberts at volts.wtf on climate change and Smith on economics at Bloomberg and https://noahpinion.substack.com/. One of Roberts' strengths which is also a weakness is that he lets the politics and media craziness get to him which comes across in the interview, mostly to his credit IMO.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3503 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-09, 05:56

Here is a short discussion of a 3900 page report from the UN IPCC (intergovernmental report on climate change).
It came out in August 2021 and has been viewed 156 times and liked (up until now) by nobody.
It features some people that appear to know what they're talking about.

#3504 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-10, 05:21

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-April-09, 05:56, said:

It features some people that appear to know what they're talking about.

Maybe rather too many and for too many years

Has the IPCC and broader Climate Change industry compared their footprint to Bitcoin

Does it name all the robots and algorithms that did the ghostwriting

#3505 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-April-10, 10:13

Scientists react: What are the key new insights from the IPCC’s WG3 report? (April 7, 2022)
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3506 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-10, 17:46

Is there anything new
I downloaded it all but read the drafts last year which didn't hold any new insights at all

Or maybe that was a different working group.

#3507 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-May-18, 06:05

David Wallace-Wells at NYT said:

https://www.nytimes....896ed87b2d9c72a

It doesn’t take the end of the world to upend the way billions live in it. The punishing weather we are uneasily learning to call “normal” is doing that already.

Late last month, a heat wave swallowed South Asia, bringing temperatures to more than a billion people — one-fifth of the entire human population — 10 degrees warmer than the one imagined in the opening pages of Kim Stanley Robinson’s celebrated climate novel, “The Ministry for the Future,” where a similar event on the subcontinent quickly kills 20 million. It is now weeks later, and the heat wave is still continuing. Real relief probably won’t come before the monsoons in June.

Mercifully, according to the young science of “heat death,” air moisture is as important as temperature for triggering human mortality, and when thermometers hit 115 degrees Fahrenheit in India and 120 in Pakistan in April, the humidity was quite low. But even so, in parts of India, humidity was still high enough that if the day’s peak moisture had coincided with its peak heat, the combination would have produced “wet-bulb temperatures” — which integrate measures of both into a single figure — already at or past the limit for human survivability. Birds fell dead from the sky.

In Pakistan, the heat melted enough of the Shipsher glacier to produce what’s called a “glacial lake outburst flood,” destroying two power stations and the historic Hassanabad Bridge, on the road to China.

After a brief lull, the temperatures and humidity began to rise again. On May 14, it was 51 degrees Celsius in Jacobabad, a city of almost 200,000, with a “wet-bulb” reading of 33.1 — just below the conventional estimate for the threshold of human survival, which is 35. More recently, scientists have suggested a lower threshold, even for the young and healthy, of just 31 degrees Celsius. Ten weeks in, the heat wave is testing those limits.

But just as remarkable as the intensity and duration of the South Asian heat wave is the fact that it is, already, not much of an anomaly at all.

We want to call events like this “extreme,” but technically we can’t, “because they’re not rare anymore,” Friederike Otto told me, from London, just as the heat wave reached its April peak.

Dr. Otto is a senior lecturer at the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at the Imperial College of London, whose World Weather Attribution group just published a “state of the science” briefing. Among other things, it concluded that climate change has made every single heat wave in the world both more intense and more likely.

She is herself a leading figure in the emerging field of climate attribution, which has grown increasingly central to the messy project of making sense of environmental and ecological disarray. With the impacts of warming growing evermore unmistakable, we no longer ask science only what to expect from further warming, but also how to quantify, categorize, conceptualize and narrativize the climatic anomalies we now encounter, somewhere in the world, almost daily.

A U.N. report published in April suggested that by just 2030 the world would be experiencing more than 500 major disasters each year. And the quickening frequency of what were once called “generational disasters” or “500-year storms” or even “acts of God” disorients us, too, so that it becomes hard to distinguish once-a-decade events from once-a-century ones — our disaster depth of field blurred by climate disruption. “What used to be a very extreme event is now probably not a very extreme event but something that we expect in this warmer climate quite frequently,” Dr. Otto said. “We really are in a quite different world.”

#3508 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-19, 17:39

U.K. Heat Wave Sends Temperatures to Record Highs

A provisional reading of 40.3 degrees Celsius was recorded in the village of Coningsby in eastern England, according to the national meteorological service, surpassing the previous record of 38.7 degrees set in July 2019.

Over the course of the day, at least 34 places across the country broke the previous record, the service said.

Climate change deniers thoroughly debunked the idea that these high temperatures were a result of global warming.

Denier #1 explained that this was due to the inflation and high gas prices caused by Biden's ill advised policies.

Denier #2 blamed the record temperatures on the metric system and faulty thermometers with the wrong scale conversions.

Denier #3 explained that record daily highs don't mean anything and neither do average annual temperatures and that facebook will announce when global warming starts.

#3509 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-20, 00:53

View Postjohnu, on 2022-July-19, 17:39, said:

U.K. Heat Wave Sends Temperatures to Record Highs

Climate change deniers thoroughly debunked the idea that these high temperatures were a result of global warming.

Denier #1 explained that this was due to the inflation and high gas prices caused by Biden's ill advised policies.

Denier #2 blamed the record temperatures on the metric system and faulty thermometers with the wrong scale conversions.

Denier #3 explained that record daily highs don't mean anything and neither do average annual temperatures and that facebook will announce when global warming starts.

The meteorologist on BBC radio said that he was taught to never predict record temperatures because they were always broken by 0.1 degrees and you can't really predict to that degree of accuracy. To have the record broken by 1.5 degrees is unprecedented. I'm only 20 miles from the coast so it only got to 37 or 38 where I am, and that was not good (my computer is in my loft, and that room is like an oven in the heat).

#3510 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-July-20, 06:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-July-20, 00:53, said:

The meteorologist on BBC radio said that he was taught to never predict record temperatures because they were always broken by 0.1 degrees and you can't really predict to that degree of accuracy. To have the record broken by 1.5 degrees is unprecedented. I'm only 20 miles from the coast so it only got to 37 or 38 where I am, and that was not good (my computer is in my loft, and that room is like an oven in the heat).

If you people would use the Fahrenheit scale instead of the silly Celsius you would know that heat is a scam created by the Democrats in order to take away your freedom, which is why you need to arm yourselves with more guns .So we strongly encourage you to pray (to the right God) about it and see the light of muzzle flashes and Donald Trump’s fake tan. Amen.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3511 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2023-March-20, 07:44

The consequences of decades of dithering over our response to global warming -- already being felt -- are going to get worse: World is on brink of climate calamity, definitive U.N. climate report warns

Human activities have transformed the planet at a pace and scale unmatched in recorded history, causing irreversible damage to communities and ecosystems, according to one of the most definitive reports ever published about climate change. Leading scientists warned that the world’s plans to combat these changes are inadequate and that more aggressive actions must be taken to avert catastrophic warming.

The report released Monday from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change found the world is likely to miss its most ambitious climate target — limiting warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial temperatures — within a decade. Beyond that threshold, scientists have found, climate disasters will become so extreme people cannot adapt. Heat waves, famines and infectious diseases will claim millions of additional lives. Basic components of the Earth system will be fundamentally, irrevocably altered.

Monday’s assessment synthesizes years of studies on the causes and consequences of rising temperatures, leading U.N. Secretary General António Guterres to demand that developed countries like the United States eliminate carbon emissions by 2040 — a decade earlier than the rest of the world.

With few nations on track to fulfill their climate commitments and with the developing world already suffering disproportionately from climate disasters, he said, rich countries have a responsibility to act faster than their low-income counterparts.

The world already has all the knowledge, tools and financial resources needed to achieve its climate goals, according to the IPCC. But after decades of disregarding scientific warnings and delaying climate efforts, it adds, humanity’s window for action is rapidly closing.

“Climate change is a threat to human wellbeing and planetary health,” the report says. “The choices and actions implemented in this decade will have impacts now and for thousands of years.”

Calling the report a “how-to guide to defuse the climate time-bomb,” Guterres announced on Monday an “acceleration agenda” that would speed up global actions on climate.

Of course we can fix this, but Satan and his minions are still working hard to stop us -- and so far very successfully.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3512 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-July-05, 03:04

Monday was Earth's hottest day on record, initial measurements show

Monday was the world's hottest day on record, exceeding an average of 62.6 degrees Fahrenheit for the first time, according to initial measurements taken on Tuesday by U.S. meteorologists.

That measurement surpasses the previous daily record of 62.456 degrees set on July 24 last year, according to data from NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Prediction going back to 1979.

#3513 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2023-July-14, 06:13

The ultimate irony: all these fossil-fuel fan Christians make the earth uninhabitable only to discover there is no life after death.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3514 User is offline   taxisquad3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-August-05, 09:58

yes there is climate change, but does anyone know that there have been 21 ice ages and we are still coming out of the last Ice age, the Pleistocene. One of the reasons the global temperatures are still rising minimally. Science.

#3515 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2023-August-07, 19:23

View Posttaxisquad3, on 2023-August-05, 09:58, said:

yes there is climate change, but does anyone know that there have been 21 ice ages and we are still coming out of the last Ice age, the Pleistocene. One of the reasons the global temperatures are still rising minimally. Science.

It's true that I have no idea whether there have been 15 or 30 or 21 ice ages. My ignorance can be astounding. Having acknowledged this, I am still concerned about what is happening. I am currently reading The Light Pirate. Just the right thing to cheer a guy up. Actually, it's a very good novel, regardless of one's pessimism/optimism about the future.

Ken

#3516 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2023-August-08, 15:18

And in 5 billion years our sun will have expanded as it begins to die and earth will be the next Venus, too hot to sustain any known form of life. I also have no point.

#3517 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-August-09, 01:52

The pace of "natural" climate change is extremely slow. While we might see a gradual warming, it's not something you'd notice during a single human lifetime. Due to human actions, we've seen almost a full degree of warming during my life and I'm not even fifty yet! This is a much faster (and more dangerous) pace than we'd see in nature.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3518 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2023-August-09, 11:39

I have been thinking a bit about this. It seems natural to divide the problem There is the slowly growing part that comes from deep inside the earth, nothing to be done about that, and then there is the change coming from human activity that we can address. But can we address it? Theoretically yes, the problem comes from human choices, we are humans, we should address it. And, as a matter of practice, there are things we can do. But there are 7+ billion of us, all with widely different circumstances and intentions. What we should do and what we will do are apt to be very different.

I mentioned that I was reading The Light Pirate, and now I have finished it. It is set in the future, starting not that long from now and then going on for maybe 80 years. The author, Lily Brooks-Dalton, spends little if any time assessing blame, the story is about how civilization, and specific people, do or do not cope. A little magical in spots but I am ok with that.She is, IMO, very good at looking at how a variety of people assess reality. Often I found myself saying "Yep, that sounds just right".

One of the themes, and my thinking for some time now, is the importance of the concept of "Too late".
Ken

#3519 User is offline   taxisquad3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-August-24, 17:24

View Postawm, on 2023-August-09, 01:52, said:

The pace of "natural" climate change is extremely slow. While we might see a gradual warming, it's not something you'd notice during a single human lifetime. Due to human actions, we've seen almost a full degree of warming during my life and I'm not even fifty yet! This is a much faster (and more dangerous) pace than we'd see in nature.

What % of that almost 1 degree in the past 50 years was due to human's

#3520 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-August-24, 17:31

View Posttaxisquad3, on 2023-August-24, 17:24, said:

What % of that almost 1 degree in the past 50 years was due to human's

It varies depending on how many UFO's fly past and the number of active space lasers.

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users