• You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#881 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-July-31, 15:12

Bill Russell
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#882 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-31, 17:33

View PostWinstonm, on 2022-July-31, 15:12, said:

Bill Russell

I actually casually met Bill Russell several times. This was long after his playing days, and many years after his last coaching job, but he played a lot of golf on public courses in my area. He always used a cart and zipped around the course playing with his friends, and you could hear his cackling laugh just like when he commentated on TV from many yards away before you could see him. He certainly seemed to be enjoying his retirement.

#883 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-August-01, 06:44

View Postjohnu, on 2022-July-31, 17:33, said:

when
I actually casually met Bill Russell several times. This was long after his playing days, and many years after his last coaching job, but he played a lot of golf on public courses in my area. He always used a cart and zipped around the course playing with his friends, and you could hear his cackling laugh just like when he commentated on TV from many yards away before you could see him. He certainly seemed to be enjoying his retirement.

I was a huge Laker fan when he was playing. Greatest who ever played and my bad luck to have to root against him.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#884 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 21:23

The Bill Russell I Knew for 60 Years by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#885 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-August-03, 07:37

Vin Scully

#886 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-August-03, 17:01

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#887 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-August-08, 18:56

Olivia Newton-John

#888 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-08, 20:16

View Posty66, on 2022-August-08, 18:56, said:

I guess mine is not the first heart broken
My eyes are not the first to cry

As the posted obit notes, the critics were not fond of her. That's ok.

Meditate, in my direction.
OK, I'll do that.
Ken

#889 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-August-09, 09:56

Lamont Dozier, responsible for writing things like https://www.youtube....h?v=Bnih1-VX74M

#890 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-August-25, 17:10

Tim Page, Photographer

#891 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2022-August-29, 11:32

Very sad to report that Nigel Guthrie has passed away, peacefully in a care home in Glasgow.

My relationship with Nigel has revolved purely around bridge since we met in the mid-1980s at Reading Bridge Club. I've never met his wife or family and we rarely discussed work, although I know he worked for DEC on their office software product. He has met my wife, but then she plays bridge.

He learned bridge in the 1960s at a time of great Scottish players. He was a contemporary of Victor Silverstone and, according to Nigel, he taught Liz McGowan how to play :) (I'm sure Liz will be writing a proper obituary in the near future).

At that time, he played in the traditional conservative Scottish style: get through the bidding as quickly as possible, it was the play that was the heart of the game. This served him well as he became a much stronger pairs player.

However he did change and became fascinated with system development as he got older and had more time on his hands. He was always fiddling, tweaking, and seeking victims who would play his latest ideas.

In terms of bridge achievements, he won the British Mixed Pairs three times, each time with a different woman: Carolyn Peploe in 1970, Liz McGowan in 1973 and Hedy Brown in 1997 (when Hedy was in her eighties); and the EBU Grand Master Pairs with long-time friend David Barnes in 2008. He represented Scotland in the Seniors Camrose in 2018, playing with Jim Forsyth.

His primary partner at Reading was Stuart Maurice and I played in their team for a few years. Stuart always complained that Nigel took far more time at the table than anyone else; a problem that he never overcame although falling asleep at the table didn't help!

Nigel loved playing bridge and, if he could not play, then discussing bridge. He was well-known on various forums for his strong, and often eclectic, views. His desire for a simpler law book was insatiable, but struggled to articulate how it could be done. He was forever disappointed that the WBF did not enforce a uniform set of rules and regulations on all the NBOs: he did not support different system and alert policies around the world, seeing them as allowing local politicians too much sway. I'm unclear if he had a view on Scottish devolution :)

His ability to comment on the world of bridge confused me, given that he'd hardly ever played outside the UK. Why did he care that countries had different rules? He never played in America, despite his strong views of how the ACBL should run things. But he was a avid online player, initially on OKBridge and then BBO, and we played on many online teams together. This got him some international experience.

In the days before double dummy solvers, if you ever played with Nigel, either as a partner or teammate, you'd always receive comments about interesting hands afterwards. There was never blame, but it was always about the beauty of a hand or position.

nige1 will be missed.

https://www.sbu.org....d-nigel-guthrie
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#892 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-August-29, 17:47

Sad news, RIP nige1
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#893 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-August-30, 01:59

Thanks, Paul.

Nigel is one of the few forum posters that I considered a friend, even though I never meat him. When I started working in Glasgow this February, I thought I might have a chance to meet him IRL, but he said that he was "old and useless" but maybe I would get a chance to meet his wife. Clearly he was in a lot of pain the last few years of his life. So I think it is better for him that he got rest now.

But impressingly, he continued playing bridge at a high level until a few months ago I think.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#894 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-August-30, 15:01

Mikhail Gorbachev (Washington Post obituary).

#895 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-30, 16:11

View PostPeterAlan, on 2022-August-30, 15:01, said:

Mikhail Gorbachev (Washington Post obituary).

My favourite Gorbachev related memory was as a young impressionable traveller among those taken in by the changes in Russia/Soviet Union enthusiastically raising the topic in conversation with some Polish entrepreneurs. Met with a retort along the lines of "Gorbachev. He is just a mouth. The people cannot eat words"

I would love to give more circumstances of the conversation but wish to protect the innocent. It may also have involved Bridge, vodka and various other goodies seemingly not available to everyone. I was very impressed as you can tell :)

#896 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-September-08, 11:37

Queen Elizabeth

#897 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2022-September-08, 12:10

View Postbarmar, on 2022-September-08, 11:37, said:

Queen Elizabeth

I saw her coronation on television, sitting at the dinner table. I had just turned 13 [oops, she became queen when I was 13, I father I was 14 for the coronation ceremony. No matter.]. Television was in its infancy, I believe there was some sort of new cable to get footage from Europe to North America and then some further new technology for getting it to St. Paul. Not quite live, but sort of live in that it was not delayed or edited. The point being that this was a long lifetime ago, a different era in many ways. There just are not that many people for whom I can say "Oh yes, I remember her from when I was 13".

I will follow the remembrances of her with interest. Best wishes to her family and to all.
Ken

#898 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-08, 15:53

View Postbarmar, on 2022-September-08, 11:37, said:

Queen Elizabeth

My favourite story about her https://www.vox.com/...lah-queen-drive

#899 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-September-09, 01:39

https://www.npr.org/...i-dead-balmoral
HM Queen Elizabeth II

#900 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2022-September-09, 13:46

Seen a lot of changes in the world in my lifetime. For some strange reason, the death of Queen Elizabeth is not one that I expected. She seemed, I don't know, endless.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users