• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-29, 07:51

mmm aji

#102 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-29, 09:24

View Postawm, on 2011-May-25, 00:29, said:

I used to get into bridge arguments on the forums all the time, and maybe this somehow made my game better, but I wouldn't bet on it. You see, before BBF I used to be able to follow suit...

I have enjoyed and learned from your many, many thoughtful posts on this forum. Thank you. Congratulations on the new job. Hope you enjoy the change of scene and find time after settling in to post occasionally.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#103 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-10, 09:13

Since this thread seems to be a good place for academic bragging, I'd like to note that I got a PhD position in the Netherlands and I'll start in September :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#104 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-June-10, 09:25

Congratulations :)

#105 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-14, 05:09

View Postgwnn, on 2011-June-10, 09:13, said:

Since this thread seems to be a good place for academic bragging, I'd like to note that I got a PhD position in the Netherlands and I'll start in September :)

w00t!
Alderaan delenda est

#106 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-14, 11:33

Well done Csaba, good luck!

#107 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2011-September-27, 18:57

View Postmatmat, on 2011-July-14, 11:33, said:

Well done Csaba, good luck!

That's Dr. Csaba to you!
Kevin Fay

#108 User is offline   Xiaolongnu 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cats, playing and directing bridge, MSN, strategy games, fantasy RPGs, shooting games, adventure games, mathematics, google.

Posted 2011-October-20, 01:17

Hi everyone. My name is Kane Tan, though my fellow Singaporeans will know me by my Chinese name Wen Yuan, or my BBO name Xiaolongnu. I am 25 this year. I started bridge 7 years ago but only started seriously playing 4 years ago, that is, during my university days (: I just graduated and the future is both bright and uncertain for me. I like cats very much, almost as much as I like bridge.

Singapore is a country with a good balance of greenery and economy. The bridge field in Singapore (from what I observe) is made of more guys than ladies, among the younger players, about 50-50 among the middle aged and a little more guys by percentage among the senior players.

I have very little overseas bridge experience except online play, and would like to have some exposure to the outside world some day.

#109 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-October-28, 08:20

View PostXiaolongnu, on 2011-October-20, 01:17, said:

I like cats very much, almost as much as I like bridge.

You will fit right in. ;)
      George Carlin

#110 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-November-11, 08:14

I just joined BBO. Howdy, everyone!

I've been playing bridge since I was 15, mostly when I'm on the road (as my wife and kids don't play). I'm experienced, but rusty. My preference runs toward Kaplan-Sheinwold.

When I'm not playing bridge I consult in project risk management, teach finance and mathematics, write software to analyze investment portfolios, train and ride Arabian horses, and am a professional magician.

In my career I've also written software to run numerical control systems (milling machines, lathes, punch presses, coordinate measuring machines, and so on), programmed the cameras that watch the freeways in Orange County, CA, written software for navigation using GPS and deep-ocean transponders, designed warheads, analyzed mortgage-backed securities, and taught courses in project risk management, cost management, quality management, cash flow analysis, problem solving and decision making, and portfolio management, as well as review courses for the Chartered Financial Analyst exams.

In short, therefore, I'm somewhat scatterbrained.

I'd wanted my username to be "S2000magician", but it was too long. Sigh.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#111 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-November-11, 10:01

View PostS2000magic, on 2011-November-11, 08:14, said:

I'd wanted my username to be "S2000magician", but it was too long. Sigh.

So is your signature, sorry! Other than that, welcome to the forums and I hope you will like it here.
      George Carlin

#112 User is offline   mwalimu02 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-December-10, 23:23

Paul here! showing some from africa :D

#113 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-December-11, 16:13

Welcome to the forums!
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#114 User is offline   JGrim 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sea Kayaking
    Hiking
    Scale Modeling

Posted 2011-December-27, 17:55

Hi folks!

My wife and I just started learning bridge. The original idea was to learn just enough so we can play socially with a group of friends. Best laid plans and all, but we both are finding it so enjoyable and fascinating that we're quickly developing a happy and benign addiction. One evening a week is now cleared for bridge!

We are lucky enough to have a local club where we can play and take lessons. After six weeks of introductory lessons, I feel like I'm just starting to grasp the basics of bidding and play of the hand. We played our first boards of "gentle" bridge last week and had a blast, even while tanking spectacularly. The other players were very gracious.

BBO seems like a great resource and a friendly community. I'm impressed with the quality of the posts I've seen so far and I look forward to playing, kibitzing and eventually contributing to the discussions.

#115 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-December-27, 20:03

Welcome! B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#116 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-January-31, 19:49

Hi, I've been stalking these forums for years, and just saw this thread. My name is Chris Gibson, I am 32 years old & living in the suburbs of Portland, OR. My bridge life started when I was 8, around a kitchen table in Ohio, and I had never heard of the ACBL or bridge tournaments until a lady making a deposit at the bank I worked at when I moved to Portland explained that she owned a bridge club. That was 9 years ago, and I've been a regular ever since - now I'm gradually breaking into the ranks of players who are expected to represent the district in open events, though I still qualify for flight B and will for a few more years in all likelihood.

Outside of bridge I play in pool leagues, & love to travel & watch sports (american football & basketball are my favorites). I was an exchange student to Japan while in high school, and have been to most of the 50 states, and traveled a bit through Europe also. I am single, have never been married, was raised a Christian Scientist but no longer adhere to prayer as my preferred form of health care, and it would take a lot for me to move outside of the Portland area because I love it here. Other random facts: I have a BS in physics with no intention of ever using it; I procrastinate freely; My current bridge goal is to finish in the top 10 of a nationally rated event, with top 3 and winning being the goals after that - and I have every intention of meeting those goals.
Chris Gibson

#117 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-31, 20:11

Greetings, Chris, welcome to the forums. B-)
--------------------

#118 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-03, 05:00

Nice bio Chris, I'm sure you'll meet those goals also.

#119 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-February-03, 05:42

Congrats.

To add another, having spent my time at university first time round basically playing bridge, chess and D&D, and not doing enough chemistry, I've just graduated in maths/statistics having studied at home with the open university. Only 25 years late.

#120 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-04, 20:17

I met Chris and Atul in Portland when I visited for the regional. Both really great guys, great bridge minds, tough competitors, and a true pleasure to have met.

It makes me a little sad that the ACBL junior program and youngsters like Chris and Meg Massie can't get together before the whole age thing sets in. Now that I'm effectively too old to play bridge, I can sort of speak about how silly the junior program is in some regards. Maybe Chris can elaborate further, but I assume, given his history of traveling around the country and world, had he been offered sponsored trips to bridge tournaments in his late teens he'd be a great addition to those teams. So why didn't that happen?
OK
bed

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users