• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confederate statues My view

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-August-18, 09:08

Let's get this straight once and for all: Robert E. Lee and all other confederates were traitors, by the very definition of treason in the U.S. Constitution: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them....".

Their purpose in warring was to ensure a southern way of life, i.e., to continue an economic system based on slave-labor, treating slaves - fellow human beings - as property. There is nothing heroic or admirable about what they did. They should be remembered, all right, but only as black marks in history books.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-18, 11:35

https://www.facebook...?type=3

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-18, 13:13

It is interesting to note while some of these monuments went up decades and decades after the civil war, many others were built in the North right after the end of the war to honor all soldiers, rebels and union solders. Many may not be aware there is a section in Arlington Cemetery, a Union cemetery to honor the rebel soldiers who were buried there.

Confederate Memorial (Arlington National Cemetery
https://en.wikipedia...tional_Cemetery)

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-18, 14:21

You also shouldn't forget many of the Presidents and politicians prior to 1863 were slave owners or in favour of slavery including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
It is also ironic that what was then the Democratic party was the political party most against abolition of slavery.
Things do change which is good.
By the way I am not an American.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-18, 14:37

It should be emphasized that bad behavior does not justify other bad behavior.

If we are discussing history from many decades ago let us not forget the monuments to slave owners in the UK, Rome, Greece and Egypt to name a few. People may forget that Native Americans took slaves.

With all of that said if your local community wishes to remove their local monument for whatever reasons I have no issue with that.

If Winston wishes to remember Lee as ONLY A Black Mark in History I would hope he might reconsider. I would hope Winston would take a look at Lee's life before and after the war.

Side note. You may wish to take a look at the life of the Union General Sherman who after the civil war took control of the war against the Plain Indians. He gave them a choice, assimilate or be exterminated. This was under the leadership of Grant and others.

#6 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-18, 15:22

The "winners" do get to write the history. Lee was first and foremost a "Virginian" who felt more loyalty to his home state than a bunch of federal bureaucrats. (If Ken Burn's Civil War can be believed.) Slavery was part of their life and they felt it belonged there, as repugnant as the practice is. Mike is right in that all past societies relied on slave-labor to enhance their economies. Part of war and plunder. Nowadays, economic slavery is more the practice by the winners.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#7 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-18, 15:27

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-August-18, 09:08, said:

Let's get this straight once and for all: Robert E. Lee and all other confederates were traitors, by the very definition of treason in the U.S. Constitution: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them....".

Their purpose in warring was to ensure a southern way of life, i.e., to continue an economic system based on slave-labor, treating slaves - fellow human beings - as property. There is nothing heroic or admirable about what they did. They should be remembered, all right, but only as black marks in history books.

Washington and Jefferson and all signers of the Declanration of Independence were traitors that rebelled against their lawful king.

Slave holders are bad so the great black kingdoms of Africa with their large slave holdings were very bad.

For most of history nations held slaves up till very recently. Greece and Rome guilty.

Egypt guilty. Persian Empire quilty

#8 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-18, 16:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-August-18, 09:08, said:

to continue an economic system based on slave-labor, treating slaves - fellow human beings - as property. There is nothing heroic or admirable about what they did. They should be remembered, all right, but only as black marks in history books.

We should tear down whatever is left of the Coliseum right now ...
Let's ask ISIS to do it, they already did such a good job at Palmyra.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-18, 17:35

It is always a difficult but worthwhile discussion to discuss history even through the lens of modern morality.

In 20 years or 50 years will we look back at the consumption of meat, all meat, the slaughter of animals for meat as some horrible moral weakness?
In 50 years will there be a discussion of treating robots as property to use as we wish including for slave work or sex or bridge or some ethical issue to debate?

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:09

View Postspotlight7, on 2017-August-18, 15:27, said:

Washington and Jefferson and all signers of the Declanration of Independence were traitors that rebelled against their lawful king.

Slave holders are bad so the great black kingdoms of Africa with their large slave holdings were very bad.

For most of history nations held slaves up till very recently. Greece and Rome guilty.

Egypt guilty. Persian Empire quilty

If you will notice, in my statement I made two arguments against memorializing Lee: 1) the legal argument (he committed treason) and 2) the moral argument (his treason was in support of continued slavery). Even if you disagree with the second, how can anyone argue against the first? Or should Wisconsin memorialize Aldrich Ames for his 31 years of service to the C.I.A.?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:10

View Postmike777, on 2017-August-18, 17:35, said:

It is always a difficult but worthwhile discussion to discuss history even through the lens of modern morality.

In 20 years or 50 years will we look back at the consumption of meat, all meat, the slaughter of animals for meat as some horrible moral weakness?
In 50 years will there be a discussion of treating robots as property to use as we wish including for slave work or sex or bridge or some ethical issue to debate?

You might weigh in on my response above - the legal argument against memorializing a treasonous traitor.

#12 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:48

The American Constitution was written and signed by traitors to their English king.

Lee was pardoned after the Civil War so he is not legally a traitor as you claim.

Slavery has existed for thousands of years and in many nations/empires.

The great black empires in Africa held large numbers of slaves.

Greece and Rome held huge numbers of slaves.

#13 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-18, 19:06

Washington and Jefferson are not remembered because they were slaveholders. We honor them in spite of this fact and, at least here in the North, when we recall these individuals we point out the hypocrisy and the tragedy that the constitution that Jefferson helped to draft didn't not treat blacks as humans.

The only reason that Lee is remembered is that he was a traitor who went to war against the United States to defend slavery.
Had he never done so nor be so successful in his cause he would be no more venerated than any other random major or colonel from the 19th century.

Let us not forget that, by and large, the statutes that we are fighting over today were erected in the 1920s in an attempt to celebrate the end of reconstruction and remind blacks that they had once again been disenfranchised.
Alderaan delenda est

#14 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-18, 19:27

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-August-18, 18:10, said:

You might weigh in on my response above - the legal argument against memorializing a treasonous traitor.

I doubt there is a law in US against memorializing a traitor. If you find one I stand corrected.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#15 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-August-18, 20:25

https://www.bing.com...north&FORM=IGRE

I believe this is a partial list of confederate statues in the north, to say the least there are many of them.

As I said in my first post.

This was certainly a hot topic after the war, should we just say the hell with south, the rebels, the traitors or should we offer Grace, undeserved forgiveness and reach out.

Again I add the Arlington Cemetery a sacred Union cemetery where the rebels, traitors if you prefer were buried with honor at the time.

Many of these monuments to the rebels were erected in the north .... the purpose to honor the fallen including the traitors in the hope of reconciliation...many more were erected esp in the south as testament to discrimination and racism and hate in the south decades later.

If your local community would prefer to take them down for whatever reason, no issue here, if you prefer to maintain them, you decide.

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-18, 20:36

1984 illustrates how victors write and rewrite history.

Were you to remove monuments to terrorists and slave-owners, few old statues would survive.

A lot of old art is religious and has merit even it's fashionable to blame religion for the world's ills.

Also, ethics are always a bit arbitrary and evolve over time, so we must be wary of judging historical figures by current concepts of right and wrong.

For example, you can imagine a future society condemning us for our
  • Cruel enslavement of animals to eat and for pets. Subjecting them to foul eugenics programs. Brain-washing them. Perverting their natural growth and instincts.
  • Disgraceful mistreatment of robots and AI programs. or
  • Squandering precious resources on chimera like the millennium bug and global warming
  • Bigoted prevention of church/state recognition of human-marriage to a sheep or to an Apache helicopter.

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-August-18, 22:24

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-18, 19:27, said:

I doubt there is a law in US against memorializing a traitor. If you find one I stand corrected.

Do you fail to understand that the legality I mentioned was the act of treason? If you think treasonous behavior should be memorialized, you have that right. Perhaps we should add Robert Hannsen and Aldrich Ames to your list, as well.

#18 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-August-19, 01:06

Charlie Daniels: Confederate Statue Removal Is Like 'What Isis Is Doing'

"There were pieces of history that they didn't like, they were taking them down," says the country and Southern rock veteran.

As Daniels sees it, the answer isn't in removing Civil War statues of Lee, Jackson and the like, but simply turning away.

"If you don't like it, don't look at it," he says. "I walk past movie posters I don't like … there's all kinds of symbolism in this country that I don't like, but I'm not going to go tear them down. I just don't look at them … These statues aren't preaching or shouting out some kind of crazy epithets or something. They're just sitting there. Just turn around and don't look at them."

Daniels remains one of country music's most politically vocal figures. "Wonder if any of the radicals fomenting chaos would consider marching to save the lives of the millions of unborn that are murdered each year," he tweeted today, along with his regular tweets about the terror attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya. "Benghazi ain't going away!" he wrote.

My view: Rewriting history by burying it or destroying it does us no favours at all. Even if I agree that what the Confederate States stood for was morally wrong.

#19 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-19, 02:17

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-August-19, 01:06, said:

"If you don't like it, don't look at it," he says. "I walk past movie posters I don't like … there's all kinds of symbolism in this country that I don't like, but I'm not going to go tear them down. I just don't look at them … These statues aren't preaching or shouting out some kind of crazy epithets or something. They're just sitting there. Just turn around and don't look at them."

The statues are on public lands and represent deliberate and continual speech by the state.
This is very different than private speech by a movie theater.
Alderaan delenda est

#20 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-August-19, 03:12

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-19, 02:17, said:

The statues are on public lands and represent deliberate and continual speech by the state.
This is very different than private speech by a movie theater.

Yes, I agree that Daniels remarks are clichéd at best comparing Confederate Statues to movie posters. But many of these statues were erected in the late 1800s/early 1900s and are part of the history of the USA.

As a traditional left-wing Labour (Democrat) voter myself, I would definitely veto any attempt to erect any divisive symbolism such as Confederate Statues in this day and age.

However, given that the USA has participated in numerous wars around the world, some very divisive, killing millions of ordinary people, shouldn't the Statue of Liberty be dismantled too?

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users