IMP pairs
Vul vs NV.
2/1 systems, when the bidding goes as
Pass Pass Pass 1
Pass 1NT  Pass 2
Pass Pass  3   X
Pass ?
Questions:
1.How do you understand this double? Is it for penalty?
2.If you are the opener, holding: KQxxx, AKxx, A, xxx, how would you continue in the third round? (Is double one of your choices?)
3.If your partner is the opener and you hold: Jx, Qxxx, Qx, QJxxx, how would you have bid? Would you have PASSed your partner’s 2H?
Thanks!

#2 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-November-28, 09:51

1) Add. Values, optional, penalty oriented
2) Pass, where do you want to go, if partner
hold 6 HCP and a 4 card heart suit
3) Yes, 3H should show 10-12HCP, bal. shape
and 4 card support
I would have passed partners double

Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-November-28, 10:29

(1) Extra values. Not really penalty, but suggests defending if no major-suit fit.

(2) Double is okay, just says "it's our hand." Partner will not expect a big stack of diamonds since nine of my thirteen cards are known to be in the majors.

(3) Yes, I would pass 2. Admittedly this can miss a game when partner is super-max (good reason to play strong club or gazilli) but with slow values in the minors pass will be right much more often than not. After partner's double I would bid 3. Give me one more diamond and one less heart and I would pass.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-November-28, 11:36

extra values, cooperative. I would expect 5422 17 count on average. RHO deserves to be penalized for his bidding :lol:

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-November-28, 11:46

penalty to me, doesn't show 4 card though.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2005-November-28, 12:02

Double is cards: denies 5th , and shows top of range for the non-forcing 2

I don't mind double at all: I have an easy lead, since partner almost certainly lacks 3 cards there, and I have the trump Ace. If partner sits, 3 rates to do very badly.

As for responder, I would pass 2: while I do not need 10 hcp to raise, I do need something more than a flat hand with quacks

On the auction, I pull to 3, because I have almost nothing to offer defensively.

3 is the type of bid that deserves to catch responder having passed 2 with 1=3=4=5 shape, but it happens to be catching a good dummy if we try to defend.

Sure, opener would bid the same way with 5=4=4=0 or 5=4=3=1, but the odds favour 5422 or this hand, and bridge is a game of percentages. With the clear desire of defending, opener should pass.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2005-November-28, 12:07

Double is 'penalties', but in the context of having shown 9 major suit cards and made a non-forcing 2H bid. So it says "I am maximum and I have some good cards in diamonds if you fancy defending, but I don't mind if you want to bid 3H".

One of my "what do doubles mean" rules is
- After opener has defined his hand with a rebid all doubles are penalties
another is
- After we have explicitly found a fit, all doubles are penalties

both of them apply here!

#8 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-November-28, 13:05

mikeh, on Nov 28 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

On the auction, I pull to 3, because I have almost nothing to offer defensively.

3 is the type of bid that deserves to catch responder having passed 2 with 1=3=4=5 shape, but it happens to be catching a good dummy if we try to defend.

Ditto and then some. They have 9+ diamonds and shape......you won't kill 3D and they may make it, so pull and take your lumps (he has extras and you have a decent hand that may just make.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#9 User is offline   Kalvan14 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-November-28, 17:48

Double shows a maximum for 2 and denies a 5th heart.

Yes. It is really the minimum hand pard could have for his double.

pass over 2 (close, but there are just Quacks. If I had both major Queens and 4 hearts I might give a raise).

3 now, happily.

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-November-28, 23:32

This is classic "Do something intelligent" double. It shows a hand too good to pass without a clear cut direction - with a fit and no quick defensive values in your hand I would not pass but would surely want to and hope there would be a next time for this bad bid from the opponents.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11 User is offline   Robert 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Science fiction, science fantasy, military history, bridge<br>Bidding systems nut, I like to learn them and/or build them.<br>History in general(some is dull, but my interests are fairly wide ranging)<br>

Posted 2005-November-29, 00:58

Hello everyone

1. Partner is showing 'extra values' and wants you to 'look at your hand' and make a decision. Partner wants you to bid higher with a fit or pass with defensive type values.

2. "X" Good example for this auction. :)

3. I would have passed partner's 2H rebid with this hand. Partenr has shown nine cards in the majors and your minor Queens and Jacks will often be worthless 'if' your side plays the hand.

4. Change you hand to Jx Qxx QJxx Qxxx and you will 'see' why partner should double to show extra values. Your side likely has no game and 3Ds is going down a lot.

Regards,
Robert

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users