Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

call me a sexist, but... demographic

#1 User is offline   kokup 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-May-25, 07:52

being rather new to BBO, and to its tournaments, i was unprepared for the floods of !!hugs and kisses!! that were being broadcast to all and sundry, drowning any attempts by my p and i to say hi to each other. deciding that this must be a friendly bunch, i offered a friendship message of my own: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KyhLE0WXSP0
later that day, i looked to see what effect the message had had, and was very pleased to see the viewership had increased by 100% in one day. really encouraging, only 1,499,964 to go. i wondered where these new viewers were coming from, and clicked on Google's excellent statistics graphics. Mostly USA, a few in Australia and France, and a thin trickle down the western seaboard of South America. Fairly representative of the tournament's geographical distribution, based on the sample of opps that came to our table.

but when i selected the demographics, i had a shock. ALL the viewers were male, aged 45-55. And yet, the tournament had been bombarded throughout its course by female broadcasters, all sending messages of love to the world. Yet none of them had looked up the video about Peace on Earth. What's that all about?

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-May-25, 08:37

Are you sure all the hugs were coming from ladies :)

Probably a lot of the ladies on bbo use their puter to play bridge, do email and then log off maybe, while perhaps more of the men surf a lot. Perhaps...

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-May-25, 08:50

NickRW, on May 25 2008, 07:37 AM, said:

Are you sure all the hugs were coming from ladies :)

Probably a lot of the ladies on bbo use their puter to play bridge, do email and then log off maybe, while perhaps more of the men surf a lot. Perhaps...

Nick

We dont just play bridge, send lots of 's and emails on our PC; you forgot do our nails, touch up our lipstick and chat on the phone.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-25, 14:19

jillybean2, on May 25 2008, 02:50 PM, said:

We dont just play bridge, send lots of 's and emails on our PC; you forgot do our nails, touch up our lipstick and chat on the phone.

Ah. That's a relief. For a minute I thought I'd be getting the third degree about how all the girls have more useful things to do than surf around the net B)

(Which is, of course, 100% true!)

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-May-26, 02:56

And we have to use the webcam to check our makeup is still just right while dummy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users