• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Memoriam thread?

#601 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-21, 16:38

Koko, the gorilla who learned sign language.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#602 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-June-21, 17:20

Charles Krauthammer
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#603 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-June-21, 21:29

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-June-21, 17:20, said:

Charles Krauthammer

Thanks, Winston.

Whether you agreed with him or not, he was one most articulate and intelligent political writers/analysts.

#604 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-24, 15:46

Hubert Green. A personal favourite and it is golf season.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#605 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-June-27, 13:48

SCOTUS

#606 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-16, 08:54

https://www.youtube....h?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

#607 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-25, 19:24

John McCain

#608 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-26, 12:23

Neil Simon

My favorite Neil Simon play was The Odd Couple

Oscar Madison: You want… uh… brown sandwiches… or green sandwiches?
Murray: What’s the green?
Oscar Madison: It’s either very new cheese or very old meat.
Murray: I’ll take the brown.

#609 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-August-26, 14:03

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-26, 12:23, said:

Neil Simon

Just read an obit that mentioned all the plays and movies he'd written (not to mention some early TV: "Your Show of Shows" and "The Phil Silvers Show" (aka "Sgt. Bilko"). Wow, he was prolific, and so many of them have become classics. No wonder they renamed a Broadway theatre after him -- if you name a well known Broadway play, there's a good chance he wrote it (maybe only Rogers & Hamerstein's shows have better name recognition).

#610 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-August-26, 14:05

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-August-25, 19:24, said:

John McCain

In my opinion, he may have been the only remaining GOP Senator who had real integrity. His passing is the end of an era.

#611 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-August-26, 17:21

About John McCain. Here are some quotes, full article at https://www.washingt...m=.9d8d757b64ac

"Senator John McCain was an American patriot and hero whose sacrifices for his country, and lifetime of public service, were an inspiration to millions," said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

In Australia, new Prime Minister Scott Morrison — who assumed office on Friday — honored "a true friend of Australia who was committed to strengthening the alliance between our two nations. He was a man of great courage and conviction."

Calling McCain a friend, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted that the senator's support for Israel "sprang from his belief in democracy and freedom."

"Senator John McCain stood for an America that was a reliable and close partner that — because of its strength — shouldered responsibility for others and stood by its values and principles even in difficult moments," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said. "We will remember his voice."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel echoed Maas's comments, saying, "John McCain was led by the firm conviction that the sense of all political work lies in service to freedom, democracy and the rule of law. His death is a loss to all those who share this conviction."

And so on. And on.

McCain wasn't always right, nobody is, but he had beliefs that he thought were important, and I think that's important. He was a good person. Often that's more important than being right.
Ken

#612 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-August-26, 18:23

I enjoyed Robert McFadden's story about McCain which included a picture of the young McCain with his Navy squadron and these lines:

For a Navy man who had always tried to live up to his father’s accomplishments, the Silver and Bronze Stars, the Distinguished Flying Cross and other decorations he received were not enough. But a psychiatrist’s report seemed to capture his happiest moment. “Felt fulfillment,” it said, “when his dad was introduced at a dinner as ‘Commander McCain’s father.’ ”

Seeking the 2000 Republican presidential nomination, Mr. McCain pledged “a fight to take our government back from the power brokers and special interests.” Gov. George W. Bush of Texas was favored, but Mr. McCain won the New Hampshire primary, 49 to 30 percent. South Carolina’s primary then loomed as crucial. It was one of the era’s dirtiest campaigns. Anonymous smears falsely claimed that Mr. McCain had fathered a black child out of wedlock, that his wife was a drug addict and that he was a homosexual, a traitor and mentally unstable. Mr. McCain later said he regretted calling a Confederate flag on the State Capitol in Columbia a “symbol of heritage.” “I feared that if I answered honestly, I could not win the South Carolina primary,” Mr. McCain admitted.

Few of us have been tested the way John once was, or required to show the kind of courage that he did,” Mr. Obama said Saturday. “But all of us can aspire to the courage to put the greater good above our own. At John’s best, he showed us what that means.”

In 1993, Mr. McCain gave the commencement address at Annapolis: the sorcerer’s apprentice, class of 1954, home to inspire the midshipmen. He spoke of Navy aviators hurled from the decks of pitching aircraft carriers, of Navy gunners blazing into the silhouettes of onrushing kamikazes, of trapped Marines battling overwhelming Chinese hordes in a breakout from the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. “I have spent time in the company of heroes,” he said. “I have watched men suffer the anguish of imprisonment, defy appalling cruelty until further resistance is impossible, break for a moment, then recover inhuman strength to defy their enemies once more. All these things and more I have seen. And so will you".

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#613 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-September-06, 18:02

Burt Reynolds

#614 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-September-09, 17:42

A postscript to Dolores O'Riordan, they just had the inquest, it appears she drank so much she drowned in the bath, sad ...

#615 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-September-22, 11:13

Chas Hodges. Known to many for his novelty songs as part of Chas and Dave, but a musician who played with many very well known British musicians in the 60s and 70s and on some things that will surprise a few.

He was one of Joe Meek's session musicians so played with Blackmore, Glover, Lynott etc also backing Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent.

#616 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-29, 19:12

Marty Balin.

#617 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-October-22, 18:22

Joachim Ronneberg, Leader of Raid That Thwarted a Nazi Atomic Bomb

The Norwegian saboteurs skied across the Telemark pine forest in winter whites, phantom apparitions gliding over moonlit snow. They halted at a steep river gorge and gazed down at a humming hydroelectric power plant where Nazi scientists had developed a mysterious, top-secret project.

Lt. Joachim Ronneberg, the 23-year-old resistance fighter in command, and his eight comrades — all carrying cyanide capsules to swallow if captured — had been told by British intelligence only that the plant was distilling something called heavy water, and that it was vital to Hitler’s war effort.

Hours later, in one of the most celebrated commando raids of World War II, Lieutenant Ronneberg and his demolition team sneaked past guards and a barracks full of German troops, stole into the plant, set explosive charges and blew up Hitler’s hopes for a critical ingredient to create the first atomic bomb.

Mr. Ronneberg, the last surviving member of the 1943 raid and one of the most decorated war heroes of a nation renowned for valorous resistance to the 1940-45 German Occupation, died on Sunday in Alesund, Norway, his daughter, Birte Ronneberg, said. He was 99.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#618 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-12, 14:25

Stan Lee

#619 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-November-12, 16:25

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-12, 14:25, said:

I just saw this. Here is an obit from WaPo:
https://www.washingt...m=.0af720fdae8f
In this article they briefly mention the earlier comic book era and how it suffered badly from Senate hearings in the 50s that investigated " the corrupting influence on kids". I had largely moved on by then. I had the largest comic book collection in the neighborhood going back to when Donald, Mickey, Pluto and all were defending the home front against the Nazis. Well, who knows? Perhaps this made me the corrupt being that I am today. Fwiw, I greatly prefer the Spiderman films to other movie portrayals of super heroes, although Becky really liked Wonder Woman. As did I, but Spidey is great.

Ken

#620 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-November-16, 12:30

Musician, Roy Clark. Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

• 49 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users