Alcoholic

#21 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-June-22, 18:35

helene_t, on Jun 22 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

Jimmy is right.

But whether you are an alcoholic or not, I really think you should stop drinking. The posts you make here when you are drunk are amusing to Josh and maybe to others, but you could end up doing things you would really regret. Alcohol is scary stuff.

I didn't find this one amusing at all. The Trinnu thread is better but still not that memorable. What I am finding more amusing in that one are so many people's over the top reactions.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#22 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-22, 18:39

jdonn, on Jun 22 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

helene_t, on Jun 22 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

Jimmy is right.

But whether you are an alcoholic or not, I really think you should stop drinking. The posts you make here when you are drunk are amusing to Josh and maybe to others, but you could end up doing things you would really regret. Alcohol is scary stuff.

I didn't find this one amusing at all. The Trinnu thread is better but still not that memorable. What I am finding more amusing in that one are so many people's over the top reactions.

I agree and disagree, not necessarily in that order.

#23 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-22, 20:32

jdonn, on Jun 22 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

What I am finding more amusing in that one are so many people's over the top reactions.

ding ding ding!

#24 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2009-June-22, 22:58

A friend of mine suggested I should give up alcohol for a month just to see if I *could* do it.

As it was I went 28 days without it and got bored, but I'd realised that I didn't need to do it, I just enjoyed drinking socially.

However, I would say if you're drinking a lot most nights, cutting down will do your health a lot of good.

#25 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2009-June-25, 02:38

I think even when you make 'funny' comments there is still a serious background, no?
I recently got in touch with that problem because a friend started 'to lose' himself: his drinking carreer started years ago when he got a big box of different bottles of alcohol (wine, Whiskey, Sherry, etc.) as part of an inheritance. Every evening he took a drink, he felt relaxed, the world looked a bit more rosy. Then he drank 2-3 glasses of wine - sometimes more - every evening, in public events as well as at home. Then, whenever he felt a certain tension (job, family, whatever), he drank a glass of vodka and felt better. As a consequence his skin changed, his behaviour against family and friends changed, his barrier of control sank (he made remarks that more often hit the vis-à-vis), his hands began to tremble, he became depressed (therefore needed more alcohol to feel 'happy' again) and many more obvious signs occurred. Fortunately he has some good friends who noticed all this and who spoke seriously with him in a way he could accept his alcoholism without feeling he is 'worthless' because he is an addict. In the meantime he is sober and makes a therapy. He feels very good now and is a much better friend again, although it is not easy to face the problems.
So I think that the background why someone is drinking and the significance of alcohol (when thoughts go more often around the question where to get the next drink and always to have enough handy) plays an important role. To watch whether it is possible to stop drinking - and how it feels then - is a good indicator.
Alcoholism is a way to commit suicide.
Every crisis is also a chance.
We can decide.
Caren :o
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#26 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-25, 07:42

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 01:10 PM, said:

blackshoe, on Jun 22 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

Jlall, on Jun 22 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Can I get a DUI this way? Is it dangerous?

Yes. And yes.

How long does it take before it's out of my system? Like I assume if I sleep 8 hours I'm fine. What about 4 hours? How do I know (because it feels different from being normal drunk)?

8 hours of sleep is not enough.

I am not Swedish, but I have lived there for quite a while. One Saturday morning, I noticed that there were some police cars, hiding around the corner of the parking lot to the grocery store. I was wondering what they were doing there. Well, they were checking alcohol levels. All shoppers that drove in were tested. I asked them why they checked alcohol levels at 10:30 AM on Saturday. Do they really think that people are drinking large amounts of alcohol for breakfast?

They could hear from my accent that I was a foreigner and they explained that they didn't aim for breakfast drinkers. They were rather aiming for "extended desserts" from the night before and were catching large amounts of them, mostly regular family guys (and galls). They also said that, though they tested all drivers (Swedish equality culture), it was very easy to recognize from the driving style who would be over the limit.

One of my friends told me the Swedish police did this regularly and I have been tested several times since while doing my weekend grocery shopping.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#27 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-26, 10:34

Trinidad, on Jun 25 2009, 08:42 AM, said:

...One of my friends told me the Swedish police did this <stop drivers> regularly and I have been tested several times since while doing my weekend grocery shopping.

Rik

Yeah Rik..police have stopped me a lot when i go to the shopping centre at the week-end. I have no idea why....

Maybe next week-end i should put my clothes on before i go out and see if they stop me then. Who knows?
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-28, 14:44

Instinctively I would expect the rate metabolism of alcohol in the body to be logarithmic. I did a bit of googling but could not find a graphical representation. Mind you, I was a bit drunk at the time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#29 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-June-28, 15:07

1eyedjack, on Jun 28 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

Instinctively I would expect the rate metabolism of alcohol in the body to be logarithmic.  I did a bit of googling but could not find a graphical representation.  Mind you, I was a bit drunk at the time.

If you had been sober, you would have said exponential, right?

Many physiologically active materials are removed from the bloodstream (whether by metabolism or excretion) at a rate proportional to the current concentration, so that they exhibit exponential decay with a characteristic halflife (see pharmacokinetics). This is not true for alcohol, however. Typical doses of alcohol actually saturate the enzymes' capacity, so that alcohol is removed from the bloodstream at an approximately constant rate. This rate varies considerably between individuals; experienced male drinkers with a high body mass may process up to 30 grams (38 mL) per hour, but a more typical figure is 10 grams (12.7 mL) per hour.

Source: http://www.duifighte...hol-metabolism/
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-28, 19:56

I got stopped at a "sobriety checkpoint" Saturday night on the way home from a bridge tournament. It was the first time this had ever happened to me.

The police officer noticed my convention card and hand records on the dash board and asked what they were. After I explained, he asked if there was a lot of heavy drinking at a bridge tournament. Then asked: "playing for money?" I guess after finding me to be quite sober he was fishing for some illegal gambling. :-)

#31 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-June-28, 20:05

TimG, on Jun 28 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

I got stopped at a "sobriety checkpoint" Saturday night on the way home from a bridge tournament.  It was the first time this had ever happened to me.

The police officer noticed my convention card and hand records on the dash board and asked what they were.  After I explained, he asked if there was a lot of heavy drinking at a bridge tournament.  Then asked: "playing for money?"  I guess after finding me to be quite sober he was fishing for some illegal gambling. :-)

Assuming about one third of drivers late night are legally drunk/impared, who can blame him/her.

btw is there drinking on a Saturday night at bridge tourneys?

#32 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-28, 20:08

The police officer noticed my convention card and hand records on the dash board and asked what they were. After I explained, he asked if there was a lot of heavy drinking at a bridge tournament. Then asked: "playing for money?" I guess after finding me to be quite sober he was fishing for some illegal gambling. :-)

"just the 3NT my partner bid on board 7"

"step out of the car, sir."

#33 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-June-28, 20:13

matmat, on Jun 28 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

The police officer noticed my convention card and hand records on the dash board and asked what they were.  After I explained, he asked if there was a lot of heavy drinking at a bridge tournament.  Then asked: "playing for money?"  I guess after finding me to be quite sober he was fishing for some illegal gambling. :-)

"just the 3NT my partner bid on board 7"

"step out of the car, sir."

ROFL, LMAO

#34 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-June-28, 20:19

"Then asked: "playing for money?""

You should take this as a huge compliment to yourself. :)

#35 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-29, 13:12

Years ago, Eric Murray defended a Toronto Bridge Club on a gaming charge and at some point told the judge, "The way YOU play the game is gambling, the way I play it, it's a game of skill".

Guilty verdict at the speed of light.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users