BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 192 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#3821 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-07, 06:43

View Posty66, on 2021-September-06, 19:28, said:

Thanks, I pursued the links a bit. For example https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns001540/

I knew a bit about the battle, but not much. An uncle was an iron miner, as was my first wife's father, but they did not much speak of "issues". My history classes in elementary school and high school seldom got much past Teddy Roosevelt. I kept thinking "Next time through, could we skip the damn pilgrims so we can make it into the 20th century?" "Speak for yourself, John". Got that, I got that. Now how about speakeasies, the roaring 20s, prohibition, the depression, and two world wars? Maybe some time for that? I suppose they would have had to re-write the syllabus that was maybe created in 1912. And maybe some little things, such as "Taft means well, but he means well feebly". Basic TR.
Ken

#3822 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-07, 09:39

I watched a couple videos on the Criterion Channel about the making of "Harlan County" by Barbara Koppple (director) and John Sayles (fan). Kopple and her crew were viewed initially as a bunch of hippies from New York. After putting their lives on the line to make their documentary they ended up winning the respect of a lot of the locals and the 1977 Academy Award for best documentary feature. After watching the Sayles video, I re-watched "Return of the Secaucus Seven". Wow. So good.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3823 User is offline   pilowsky 

• pilowsky
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, Learning, History, Politics

Posted 2021-September-08, 04:58

Speaking of cheating - here are a few easy ways to solve a Rubik's cube quickly.
non est deus ex machina; även maskiner behöver lite kärlek, J'ai toujours misé sur l'étrange gentillesse des robots.

#3824 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-September-17, 15:03

My wife got her hair cut today and I was slow to complement the new look. So she asked if I liked it and I said it was nice but I really liked the way so and so had cut it, couldn't she go back to his salon? Now she keeps imitating David Bowie imitating Mick Jagger.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3825 User is offline   y66 

Posted Yesterday, 05:26

Good read: https://www.nytimes....mic-advice.html

Some of the world’s best extreme athletes shared what they do when they think they’ve reached their last straw. How do they not only endure, but thrive in daily challenges?

One message they all had: You are stronger than you think you are, and everyone is able to adapt in ways they didn’t think possible. But there are a few techniques to help you along — 100-mile race not required.

Share this topic:

• 192 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users