• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Good bid!

#361 User is offline   jkdood 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:19

PeterGill, on Aug 3 2010, 09:12 AM, said:

About 5 years ago, a highly imaginative client of mine (who liked to make bids that shock) held 10, AKQJ, void, AKQ109542. 1S on her right, Dbl by her, 1NT by her LHO, Pass by me ... I passed a lot in this partnership :) ....

Pass by her RHO, 7C, down one. She reasoned correctly that we needed a top, and with her marked spade void on this bidding, there was no way that her LHO would lead a spade. She got that right, but forgot there was nowhere for the spade loser to go in 7C. I .

Welcome to the FRAY Peter.

Uhh (just a M here) but how is LHO to be considered "having marked spade void" in this auction?

#362 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:20

PeterGill, on Aug 3 2010, 09:12 AM, said:

Either the 6D bidder is highly imaginative, or else he did something wrong.

As a newbie to this thread who has just completed a marathon read, I think the initial reactions are understandable and human, but the obvious conclusion 24 pages later is that the 6D bidder is highly imaginative and has a brain type that is not afraid to depart (considerably) from the mainstream. Einstein had his hecklers too.

About 5 years ago, a highly imaginative client of mine (who liked to make bids that shock) held 10, AKQJ, void, AKQ109542. 1S on her right, Dbl by her, 1NT by her LHO, Pass by me ... I passed a lot in this partnership :) ....

Pass by her RHO, 7C, down one. She reasoned correctly that we needed a top, and with her marked spade void on this bidding, there was no way that her LHO would lead a spade. She got that right, but forgot there was nowhere for the spade loser to go in 7C. I had 9xxxx, 9xxx, 10xx, x. Hearts were 3-2. I have to admit that it didn't occur to boring me at the time to correct to 7H. I'm not that imaginative. Our partnership has won three National Championships, including two Open Pairs titles.

Being a dutiful pro, I said nothing at the table (of course), but after the game I pointed out that she might have done better to try 7H, as that contract provides more opportunity for the spade loser to vanish, when I'm marked on the bidding to have few high cards.

Returning to the Spingold, it is the visible Axx holding in hearts that makes 6D non-loony to those who think very differently from the mainstream. I personally regard the 6D call in a similar category to displaying a placard "We did not vote for Bush" at a dinner and expecting no repercussions. Unusual actions attract discussion. That does not necessarily make the unusual action bad. although many will criticize unusual actions.

6D might also make opposite AKxx, xxxxxx, Kx, x or the like, when 6C fails on a club lead with clubs 4-2 and diamonds 4-3. My clients have made stranger bids than the 6D bid. Not this week, but there was one a few months ago.

Someone asked: "Can anyone cite one instance (prior to last Monday) in which any bridge commentator even discussed the possibility of a leap to slam on a 4 card suit in direct seat over a 3 level preempt?"

No, but perhaps after my post mortem above, my then partner may have tried this stunt with another partner? I certainly fit the description of "bridge commentator", being a frequent BBO Vugraph Commentator.

Thanks for the post, Peter.

As you no doubt pointed out to your partner, it is one thing to see after the fact that 7 would have worked out better than 7, or even considering making a 7 call rather than 7 prior to taking the plunge, but it is an entirely different thing to actually make the 7 call.

#363 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:23

foo, on Aug 3 2010, 09:06 AM, said:

High level players have always done things based on Table Feel, visualization, and sheer gall that the rest of us simply do not consider.

Oh really? Thanks for the input.

Foo, just out of curiosity, I obviously openly admit to being biased in discussing this matter. Do you feel that you are biased at all for any reason?

#364 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:32

ArtK78, on Aug 3 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

Hey when did foo come back? I feel like I've missed so much! No thread is epic until foo in da house!

What Mr Piltch did is not anywhere as unique, or even extreme, as some things that have happened in high level bridge over the years.

OK, foo. You have the book. Please provide an example of an action similar to the one taken by Mr. Piltch in a serious tournament.

I =read= the book. Some time ago. if I still =had= the book, would I have been so unsure as to the spelling of the author's name?
I may still have at somewhere and will look around for it.

OTOH,
ask Mr Rodwell about the 3-3 "Rodwell" fit and the history of support doubles.

ask Alan Sontag to tell you some stories about "frisky" actions ATT.

go look up some of the more notorious actions Zia has meade ATT.

etc etc.

There are players whose forte' is to "generate action".
They are not the Bill Root's or Norman Kay's of the Bridge world.

...and just about any time they do something unusual that works spectacularly, they get accused of being unethical or cheating.

One of the thing this thread has NOT said is that Mr Piltch's team was about -50 at the half and then proceeded to be every bit as aggressive in the last half to try and get back to parity. It did not work.
=THAT= is why they ended the match <= -100 IMPs.

None of those actions are being discussed or examined. Just the one that worked.

The very definition of biased sampling.

#365 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:38

foo, on Aug 3 2010, 09:32 AM, said:

ArtK78, on Aug 3 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 08:48 AM, said:

Hey when did foo come back? I feel like I've missed so much! No thread is epic until foo in da house!

What Mr Piltch did is not anywhere as unique, or even extreme, as some things that have happened in high level bridge over the years.

OK, foo. You have the book. Please provide an example of an action similar to the one taken by Mr. Piltch in a serious tournament.

I =read= the book. Some time ago. if I still =had= the book, would I have been so unsure as to the spelling of the author's name?
I may still have at somewhere and will look around for it.

OTOH,
ask Mr Rodwell about the 3-3 "Rodwell" fit and the history of support doubles.

ask Alan Sontag to tell you some stories about "frisky" actions ATT.

go look up some of the more notorious actions Zia has meade ATT.

etc etc.

There are players whose forte' is to "generate action".
They are not the Bill Root's or Norman Kay's of the Bridge world.

...and just about any time they do something unusual that works spectacularly, they get accused of being unethical or cheating.

One of the thing this thread has NOT said is that Mr Piltch's team was about -50 at the half and then proceeded to be every bit as aggressive in the last half to try and get back to parity. It did not work.

None of those actions are being discussed or examined. Just the one that worked.

The very definition of biased sampling.

Foo, I am not concerned about Meckwell and 3-3 fits.

I am not concerned about Alan Sontag and frisky actions at the table.

I am not concerned about Zia and some of his unusual actions.

I am not concerned about what happened in the second half of the match, since the hand we are discussing occurred early in the second quarter.

I am concerned solely about this one hand. If you can find any reported hand similar to the one being discussed, please present it. Otherwise, we are just wasting time.

Peter Gill presented a hand which had the potential for being similar to the posted hand, but his partner was not quite as "imaginitive" as Mr. Piltch. Perhaps you can show us an example of a hand where someone demonstrated the same level of imagination.

#366 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:48

One of the thing this thread has NOT said is that Mr Piltch's team was about -50 at the half and then proceeded to be every bit as aggressive in the last half to try and get back to parity.  It did not work.

This is a complete lie. They were down ~45 after the first quarter, and WON imps in the 2nd quarter (including on this board), to be down only ~25, not 50.

As I (who played the match) have reported here, Mr Piltch did nothing that would be considered insane on this level by most until the FOURTH quarter. That means the rest of the 2nd quarter, and all of the 3rd quarter, nothing. Starting the 4th quarter he was now down ~50 with 16 boards to go (a lot different than ~45 with 45 boards to go). He was indeed swinging at that point.

Foo if you would like to report the facts of a match you did not play in in an event you did not play in at a tournament you did not play in, at least get them right.

Also, Foo I will ask again are your posts on this matter biased at all? I think it is important for people who might give credit to anything you say to realize that other than being your usual foo self, you are also completely biased in this matter.

Thanks.

#367 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:56

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 09:23 AM, said:

Foo, just out of curiosity, I obviously openly admit to being biased in discussing this matter. Do you feel that you are biased at all for any reason?

If I have any bias, I am trying very hard not to have it affect me.

1= I waited quite some time and did some investigating before I made even one comment on this. I did not post "knee jerk" or emotionally.
Nor did I post until I had a reasonable grasp on the facts.

2= I am "calling the dogs off" you just as hard as I am off Mr Piltch.

Neither you nor Mr Piltch should be hauled before a C & E because of public outcry to do so.
Nor should either of you be "tried by the public".
I repeat. We have established formal procedures for dealing with these issues.
They should be used instead of what amounts to public lynch mobs.

3= Over the years I have heard about or seen a number of miscarriages of justice with regards to cheating or unethical behavior in Bridge.
In some cases a guilty party got away with it (at least that time) because of politics or a breakdown in the process.
In other cases an innocent party was railroaded due to the same causes.
In still others, we can =never= be sure what the truth is because of those causes.

So if I have any strong bias, it is towards the Bridge community dealing with these issues "in the right way".

In short, I am biased towards there being a fair and objective process; and towards that process being rigorously enforced.

What's going on here, on rgb, and elsewhere doesn't look to fit the bill to me.
Just the emotional extremes of the some of the positions ("lynch Piltch!" "no, lynch Lall!") is IMHO adequate evidence of that.
How about we don't lynch anybody and not go off "half cocked"?
How about we let those who are trained and authorised to deal with this do so?

#368 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:58

foo, on Aug 3 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

Sure, everyone tries to. It should still be known what those biases are.

Was Mr. Piltch involved in your wedding?

Did you used to play bridge with Mr. Piltch?

Etc. These are useful things to know for people reading your posts, thanks.

#369 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:59

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 09:48 AM, said:

One of the thing this thread has NOT said is that Mr Piltch's team was about -50 at the half and then proceeded to be every bit as aggressive in the last half to try and get back to parity.  It did not work.

This is a complete lie. They were down ~45 after the first quarter, and WON imps in the 2nd quarter (including on this board), to be down only ~25, not 50.

As I (who played the match) have reported here, Mr Piltch did nothing that would be considered insane on this level by most until the FOURTH quarter. That means the rest of the 2nd quarter, and all of the 3rd quarter, nothing. Starting the 4th quarter he was now down ~50 with 16 boards to go (a lot different than ~45 with 45 boards to go). He was indeed swinging at that point.

Foo if you would like to report the facts of a match you did not play in in an event you did not play in at a tournament you did not play in, at least get them right.

Also, Foo I will ask again are your posts on this matter biased at all? I think it is important for people who might give credit to anything you say to realize that other than being your usual foo self, you are also completely biased in this matter.

Thanks.

pardon the typo. I said last half when meant last 1/4. and was too busy answering another post to notice and edit it fast enough.

*sigh* I am not the world's best or fastest typist.

Justin's account is indeed what I was told about the sequence of events.

#370 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:02

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 09:58 AM, said:

foo, on Aug 3 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

Sure, everyone tries to. It should still be known what those biases are.

Was Mr. Piltch involved in your wedding?

Did you used to play bridge with Mr. Piltch?

Etc. These are useful things to know for people reading your posts, thanks.

WHAT IN THE WORLD?

#371 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:13

I AM A PSYCHOPATH BUT MIKEH IS GIVING ME THE HELP I NEED

#372 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:14

ArtK78, on Aug 3 2010, 09:38 AM, said:

Foo, I am not concerned about Meckwell and 3-3 fits.

I am not concerned about Alan Sontag and frisky actions at the table.

I am not concerned about Zia and some of his unusual actions.

I am not concerned about what happened in the second half of the match, since the hand we are discussing occurred early in the second quarter.

I am concerned solely about this one hand. If you can find any reported hand similar to the one being discussed, please present it. Otherwise, we are just wasting time.

Peter Gill presented a hand which had the potential for being similar to the posted hand, but his partner was not quite as "imaginitive" as Mr. Piltch. Perhaps you can show us an example of a hand where someone demonstrated the same level of imagination.

you do realize that's an impossible standard right?

unless I can find a situation that is an exact clone of this one, you can always claim it is not "close enough" to be valid to you.

I simply do not have that kind of database available to me.
I do not know if anyone does.
40 years from now we might if the present ability to record every board and every card played continues to be used and expanded.

But even if we had such a thing, why should I spend hours or days hunting for something to satisfy your curiosity?
Go do your own homework! :D

If people taking what looks to be anti-percentage actions in high level competition is the issue, it's easy to bring examples to the discussion.

If you want this =exact= situation, the laws of probability make it very unlikely since what you are asking for is
a= an exact match to this board plus
b= an exact match to the conditions of contest and state of the match plus
c= a similar player to be sitting in each of the decision makers seats.

#373 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:17

#374 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:23

enough. I've said my piece. time for me to exit rather than repeat myself or have the thread go off topic.

It's clear that some nerves are still raw and some emotions still too high.

IMNSHO, this thread should be locked. So should the rgb one on this topic.

and we should be DONE with this unless or until the appropriate folk make a ruling or otherwise public statement.

The way this is going I do not envy those whose job it is to properly deal with it.

#375 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:31

What ruling? The ruling is, there is no evidence of UI so the table result stands. The ruling as far as a C&E hearing is that there will be none, because this hand is not evidence of any misconduct. The recorder has taken down the facts in case they are relevant for a future hearing. That's it. This has been settled for a while.

Bye foo, nice to see you again!

#376 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:35

foo, on Aug 3 2010, 01:50 AM, said:

But there should be a way to stop inappropriate posts ASAP.

I've been running forums like this one for nearly twenty years. IME, the only way to do that is to have the software intercept all posts, and require manual vetting by an administrator. That's very manpower intensive, and in 90% of cases a waste of time. I very much doubt it's ever going to happen.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#377 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:37

Aside from the main issues in this thread, it really helps to be at the table when this sort of thing happens.

Apparently I'm not as imaginative as Mr. Piltch, but occasionally I make a 'creative' call. If I am monumentally lucky and my opponents give me a funny look like something is amiss, my reaction is more of embarrassment than say defiance or enthusiasm. If I felt like I was taking a view and got lucky, I might say something IMOD.

Think of it as making a truly terrible call on the turn and getting what you need on the river. You usually kind of sheepishly turn over your hand. While winning is fun, you kind of want to disappear because you know that you will get some sh** from the other players.

Even on BBO, how often have you made a bad call and ended up in a nearly hopeless slam that rolls because of some far-fetched distribution. A "sorry opps" is usually in order, because bad bridge was rewarded. Without saying, it is horrible form to gloat about a result like this.

Right after Piltch claimed, I wonder if he said "sorry opponents, I felt like I needed to generate a swing and this seemed like a good opportunity". Or did he simply put his cards in the board as if nothing strange had happened? A criminal does not want to call attention to his actions, although its delusional to think that there won't be repercussions, even if it happens after the set. A nonplussed reaction would cast dispersions in my mind.

Perhaps almost as important was Mr. Hinckley (sp?) reaction. Did he feel embarrassed as if he is thinking to himself (oh *****, I've seen him pull this crap in a regional, and now he's doing it HERE?). Did he look at Howard's hand afterward and say "how did you think of that?". Did he say, "Great bid Howard, you are a true genius"? Whenever my partner makes a leap to slam I'm going to take more of an interest in whats going on, then I would if I were pulling the dummy in 1N. Will Mr. Hinckley the defender continue to play with Mr. Piltch?

All of this presupposes a love for the game, and respect for your opponents. I do not know if this was the case.

Justin, I would love to hear what your teammates account of the situation was.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#378 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:43

JLOGIC, on Aug 3 2010, 10:17 AM, said:

Is this a denial or confirmation?

If it is a denial, what are the reasons that you "might be biased" (your words). Clearly you are attached since you came back to the forums during this episode (paraphrasing you), and have heard accounts from the other side about this.

If it is a non denial/non confirmation, are you still trying to deny who you are since you got laughed off of RGB?

It would be an interesting coincidence that you have insider information and were moved enough to come back to BBF and defend Mr. Piltch when the person who everyone thinks you are and you post exactly like was a former partner of Mr. Piltch, and who had Mr. Piltch attend his wedding.

Lots of coincidences in the world though!

a= my primary sources of information about this are not on any of the teams involved.
The whole Bridge world is discussing this situation. That is more than a little due to your efforts to "spread the word". It even got to me ;-)

If anything, I am late to it compared to most (consider the dates of the incident, the beginning of the online threads, and when I first posted in them. Page =4= of this thread IIRC.)

b= I have never been "laughed off" RGB

c= MOST IMPORTANTLY, I am not defending either you or Mr Piltch.
-I called for fair process.
-I pointed out what the typical playing pro's attitude and responsibilities are.
-I reminded some of some bridge issues that I thought were not being given enough credence or weight.
-I said one data point does not a pattern make.
-I have pointed out other such actions and noted the furor they caused in their day.
-I said that a public forum is an inappropriate place to try a cheating accusation.
None of these statements is unique to me. Others have also said some or all of these point in this thread. and on rgb.

Now you seem to be attacking me because I am not "supporting" your PoV strongly enough to satisfy you.

That's really bad. It implies that your emotions are so out of control on this issue that it will not matter what decisions are made or advice is given to you.
You've made up your mind and the rest of the world had better conform to Justin's PoV! That is a very dangerous attitude.

I am sure you are more logical than that at heart.

Given the emotional reactions of some involved, this thread really does need to get locked.

#379 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:48

#380 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:52