BBO Discussion Forums: Climate change - BBO Discussion Forums

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Climate change a different take on what to do about it.

#3481 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-02, 09:29

From The bell is tolling on Heathrow expansion (Feb 28):

In the biggest victory ever won by environmental campaigners in Britain the court of appeal yesterday declared that the long disputed third runway at Heathrow is illegal. The government had failed to adequately consider its own commitments to tackle the climate crisis and the pledges it made to the Paris climate agreement – which is to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3482 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-15, 13:02

Warmest winter on record gives way to extra-early signs of spring

If this winter season was not very wintery where you live, you're certainly not alone — that was the experience for most of the people in the Northern Hemisphere. According to NOAA, the winter of 2019-2020 was the warmest on record across all continents north of the equator.

The warmth has been even more astonishing in Europe. According to the Copernicus Climate Change Service, Europe just experienced its warmest winter on record by far — 6 degrees Fahrenheit above normal — shattering the old record by 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Record hot air from the White House denying the potential for a meltdown from the Coronavirus pandemic contributed by raising the average temperatures at least a degree.

#3483 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-14, 18:47

CLIMATE CHANGE OVER

At a roundtable discussion about the wildfires, California Secretary for Natural Resources Wade Crowfoot said Trump’s focus on forest management was obscuring the grim reality that climate change was behind the historically high temperatures and years of drought.

“It will start getting cooler. You just watch,” Trump fired back at Crowfoot

I don't see how anybody can disagree with that "argument". The Grifter in Chief said the virus would disappear in the heat of summer in the early days of coronavirus. The Manchurian President would never lie, so it is obvious that cool spring and summer temperatures this year are the only reason coronavirus didn't disappear but actually got worse in the last 6 months. I fully expect that the Stable Genius will unleash campaign ads blaming the 200K deaths from coronavirus on Global Cooling and climate change activists who have tried to stop Global Warming.

#3484 User is offline   Richbart 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-07, 15:00

View Postonoway, on 2010-November-12, 11:54, said:

This video (filmed in Ireland last year) is almost an hour but what he has to say is backed up by some rather compelling long term evidence. http://vimeo.com/8239427 The organisation he founded has won the 2010 Buckminster Fuller Challenge award.

Oh! We are told by our esteemed leaders that climate change is fake news. I recently saw a video of DJT assuring scientists “that is will get cooler soon,very quickly.”

#3485 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-14, 15:07

Earth has warmest September on record, and 2020 may clinch hottest year

#3486 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-15, 03:38

View Postjohnu, on 2020-October-14, 15:07, said:

Posted Image

EDIT apologies for not putting a hyperlink but the image has a URL at www.climate.gov

#3487 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-15, 18:31

View Postthepossum, on 2020-October-15, 03:38, said:

Posted Image

The article was more detailed and said

The planet just recorded its hottest September since at least 1880

But your graph does reinforce one fact. The world is currently seeing temperature changes that have rarely been seen in the history of the planet.

#3488 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-15, 21:50

View Postjohnu, on 2020-October-15, 18:31, said:

The article was more detailed and said

But your graph does reinforce one fact. The world is currently seeing temperature changes that have rarely been seen in the history of the planet.

Indeed and heading towards some alarming type of temperatures and conditions

Come to think of it. September is a fairly recent invention is it not, or could it be argued to exist millions of years ago

#3489 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-October-21, 09:06

David Roberts at Vox said:

After many years of failure to launch, new companies and technologies have brought geothermal out of its doldrums, to the point that it may finally be ready to scale up and become a major player in clean energy. In fact, if its more enthusiastic backers are correct, geothermal may hold the key to making 100 percent clean electricity available to everyone in the world. And as a bonus, it’s an opportunity for the struggling oil and gas industry to put its capital and skills to work on something that won’t degrade the planet.

Vik Rao, former chief technology officer at Halliburton, the oil field service giant, recently told the geothermal blog Heat Beat, “geothermal is no longer a niche play. It’s scalable, potentially in a highly material way. Scalability gets the attention of the [oil services] industry.”

In this post, I’m going to cover technologies meant to mine heat deep from the Earth, which can then be used as direct heat for communities, to generate electricity, or to do both through “cogeneration” of heat and electricity. (Note that ground-source heat pumps, which take advantage of steady shallow-earth temperatures to heat buildings or groups of buildings, are sometimes included among geothermal technologies, but I’m going to leave them aside for a separate post.)

https://www.vox.com/...s-supercritical

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3490 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-21, 10:23

View Postthepossum, on 2020-October-15, 21:50, said:

Come to think of it. September is a fairly recent invention is it not, or could it be argued to exist millions of years ago

This is a little like arguing that trilobites are a recent invention, since the name has only existed since 1771.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3491 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2020-October-27, 13:39

'Sleeping giant' Arctic methane deposits starting to release, scientists find

High levels of the potent greenhouse gas have been detected down to a depth of 350 metres in the Laptev Sea near Russia, prompting concern among researchers that a new climate feedback loop may have been triggered that could accelerate the pace of global heating.

The slope sediments in the Arctic contain a huge quantity of frozen methane and other gases – known as hydrates. Methane has a warming effect 80 times stronger than carbon dioxide over 20 years. The United States Geological Survey has previously listed Arctic hydrate destabilisation as one of four most serious scenarios for abrupt climate change.

The international team onboard the Russian research ship R/V Akademik Keldysh said most of the bubbles were currently dissolving in the water but methane levels at the surface were four to eight times what would normally be expected and this was venting into the atmosphere.

We can tamp down CO2 emissions, and we should, but the warming already in progress will get a lot worse before it gets better.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3492 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-13, 17:41

July 2021 Was Officially The Hottest Month On Record

Between the wildfires, the floods, the draughts and the hurricane, it was hard to ignore climate change in July, which now has the unfortunate distinction of being the hottest month on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Friday that last month saw the highest temperatures since record keeping began 142 years ago.

The combined land and ocean surface temperature was 1.67 degrees Fahrenheit (or 0.93 degree Celsius) above the 20th-century average of 60.4 degrees Fahrenheit (or 15.8 degrees Celsius). The hottest month on record had previously been tied between July 2016, July 2019 and July 2020, according to the NOAA.

The picture is particularly bleak for the Northern Hemisphere, where the land temperature was 2.77 degrees Fahrenheit (or 1.54 degrees Celsius) above the 20th-century average.

What an amazing "coincidence" that the previous 3 hottest months are all in the last 6 years. What are the odds of that happening?

#3493 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-15, 04:43

But what I don't understand is. All these headlines are ... the hottest something since a few years ago

#3494 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2021-August-15, 05:46

View Postthepossum, on 2021-August-15, 04:43, said:

But what I don't understand is. All these headlines are ... the hottest something since a few years ago

Actually I think the report was that this last July was the hottest July on record, or maybe the hottest any month on record. But I am not sure if this is for the US or what.

I am fine with not jumping to conclusions and I certainly have not studied the issue with sufficient depth to hold my own in a debate. Still, I strongly advise against a dismissive attitude. The world population is some 7.6 billion and many of the adults drive cars. Without an ounce of evidence, a person might worry about the long term effect. Same with burning coal, same with cutting down forests. Why on earth would anyone think these things will not have an effect?

And the evidence, as accepted by a great many scientists, is that it is having an effect.

So we have a problem. And we have a responsibility to address it.
Ken

#3495 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-15, 08:01

Hi Ken

Of course. Sometimes my attitude doesn't communicate well 🙂

#3496 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-15, 09:10

View Postkenberg, on 2021-August-15, 05:46, said:

Actually I think the report was that this last July was the hottest July on record, or maybe the hottest any month on record. But I am not sure if this is for the US or what.

According to the NOAA data it is only the 13th hottest for the USA and the 6th warmest month for North America as a whole. In their data record (142 years) it is the hottest for Asia and for the world. Some others - Europe 2nd, Africa 7th, South America 10th, Oceania "Top 10". I have not yet seen anything released for Antarctica or for the oceans but logic dictates that they are both likely to be lower since the Northern Hemisphere land-only figure was higher than the average.

It is worth noting that this is not the largest temperature anomaly in the NOAA dataset but as it is the largest anomaly for July, and July is the warmest month, it works out 0.01C warmer than the previous maxima. Sceptics are already pointing to satellite data that supposedly (I have not checked) shows a lower anomaly but obviously you will not see those claims reported in MSM channels. What is clear is that it was a very hot month globally however you want to spin it. Whether it was really the hottest is, I think, uncertain. There is no way that our current measurements are really accurate to 2 decimal places. And things are even less certain when you go to the 2000 year mark as several media outlets have confidently reported; but headlines are headlines.

Personally I am less interested in whether things are getting warmer (they surely are) but rather how fast, ie what the sensitivity factor is. The evidence seems to suggest (to me at least) that the real value is a little lower than the majority of the IPCC-approved models are currently using. There seems to be some reluctance in re-calibrating though, which I personally find disappointing. You go where the scientific data takes you, not where the money wants you to be.

#3497 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2022-February-19, 22:22

Prof. Stefan Rahmstorf, Head of Earth System Analysis at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research said:

Fun fact: yesterday German wind power produced more electricity than French nuclear. And French wind produced more than German nuclear!

#3498 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-February-20, 05:09

View Postthepossum, on 2021-August-15, 04:43, said:

For heat yes (although we are getting some "highest ever" events, the problem here is flooding where you're getting "once in 150 years" flooding events 3 times in 10 years in some places. It's clear something is changing fast.

#3499 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-21, 13:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-February-20, 05:09, said:

It's clear something is changing fast.

About 3cm per year. Whether that is "fast" probably depends on where you live - historically "fast" would be a good description. The "something" is a combination of ice melt and thermal expansion.

#3500 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-February-21, 15:54

View PostGilithin, on 2022-February-21, 13:57, said:

About 3cm per year. Whether that is "fast" probably depends on where you live - historically "fast" would be a good description. The "something" is a combination of ice melt and thermal expansion.

The overall amount is not what's the issue here, it's just that 3 months worth falls in a day

• 177 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google