BBO Discussion Forums: One last plea for allowing downvoting - BBO Discussion Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One last plea for allowing downvoting

#161 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-16, 17:54

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-16, 17:40, said:

I found it a bit unsavoury that another member chose to make his very first post in support of the guy.

It is conceivable (I only speculate) that he was motivated to do so by reason of the OP receiving a vote of -3. Certainly, if I had had positive experiences of lessons with him and saw that reaction to his advertisement I can imagine that I would have posted in his defence.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#162 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 18:11

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-June-16, 16:50, said:

So what you appear to be saying (and by all means correct me) is that the forum admin have decided that this sort of post is OK but as a forum member in order to express displeasure at that decision it is appropriate to vote down any post that applies that policy. Just wanted to be clear on that point.

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-16, 17:31, said:

Is there something wrong with that? Or would you prefer that you get the job of filtering every downvote and deciding whether the reason is good enough?

FWIW. I don't think the one-eyed person was volunteering for a monitor job. Rather, it seems he/she was saying that it is distasteful when someone posts, in accordance with the rules of the site, that person is subjected to downvotes ---which to the rest of us don't matter much, but to him might adversely affect his income.

And for no other reason than that the voter objects to the policy of the site and/or to professionism in-general. The analogy to a fart on a train might well be applied to the voter and his current right to downvote anything he chooses, for any reason whether others like it or not.

If I don't like the advertisement, I might recognize that there are others to might find it useful --and, thus simply go on to another forum.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#163 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-June-16, 20:06

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-16, 17:40, said:

I found it a bit unsavoury that another member chose to make his very first post in support of the guy.

I don't have a problem with that, except for the fact that Supporter is anonymous. OP signed his real name at the bottom of his post, so prospective students can research him; Supporter did not. Maybe "real name" should be a standard (but optional) field in everyone's profile?

#164 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 21:28

View Postmatmat, on 2011-June-16, 01:40, said:

And if the ones that I do want to hear from only have sufficient time to reply "agree with the pinkbunnyrabbit," then so be it.

Some sort of dig at me? C'mon matmat, just come out and say it. :P
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#165 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-June-16, 21:46

View Postmatmat, on 2011-June-16, 01:40, said:

And if the ones that I do want to hear from only have sufficient time to reply "agree with the pinkbunnyrabbit," then so be it.

It takes even less time for them to simply upvote the bunny's post.

#166 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-16, 22:07

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-June-16, 21:28, said:

Some sort of dig at me? C'mon matmat, just come out and say it. :P

i thought you were the tealbunnyrabbit.

#167 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-21, 07:09

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-June-16, 08:25, said:

Sorting the member list by most recent join date and filtering for at least 10 posts, you'll see the following reputations: -2, 0, 0, -4, +1, 0, +2, +1, 0, -8, 0, 0, +3, 0, +2, 0, +3, +1, +1, 0.

But I suppose it never occurred to you to check your facts before making this kind of claim.

You're right, it never occurred to me to check this because I didn't realize this was available in the search function. I stand corrected and I'm sorry, no need to get bitchy about it.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook