Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

change of call using screens

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-29, 07:08

This hand came up during the final segment of the semi-finals of the Australian Open Team Trials.

Towards the end of the match, West (Nabil Edgtton) pulled 1 out of the box in second seat and then glanced at the vulnerability and realised that as it was favourable which systemically required him to open a mini-1NT (9-12). He hadn't let go of the 1 card but it was touching the bidding tray. The bidding tray hadn't been pushed through to the other side of the screen and the director was called to see whether or not he could change his call to 1NT. The director ruled that he had to leave his 1 bid on the tray and have south push it through. Fortunately, east-west still won an imp on the board as the other room made 120 in 2NT and they won the match 153-102 (good luck in today's final Nubs).

The relevant Australian regulation (which contemplate both written bidding and bidding boxes) are:

Regulations For Play With Screens

2.6 A call is not valid until the player has written the appropriate symbol with an appropriate numeral, if necessary (written bidding) or released the bidding card onto the tray (bidding boxes).

Regulations For Written Bidding and Bidding Boxes

3.5 A call is considered made (without screens) when a bidding card is removed from the bidding box and held face up, touching or nearly touching the table; or maintained in such a position as to indicate that the call has been made.

I think Nabil just got a completely incorrect ruling in this case, but I'm interested to know how this situation would be handled in a Bermuda Bowl, Vanderbilt or European Championship.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 09:00

Strictly speaking, he should not have been asking whether he can change the call, he should have been asking whether he has made any call yet. My reading of the reg is that he hadn't: he hadn't "released the bidding card" so he hadn't made any call.

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-March-29, 09:32

At any level players are not expected to know details of Laws & Regulations, so the question seems entirely reasonable to me. The ruling was just wrong.

In a World Championship or European Championship the TD would consult the regulation and rule accordingly. I do not have the regulation to hand so no doubt someone will quote it.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 12:18

From the current WBF General Conditions of Contest (last updated for the Rosenblum last year)

25.1 .... With screens in use a call is considered 'made' when placed on the tray and released.

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 20:42

View Postbluejak, on 2011-March-29, 09:32, said:

At any level players are not expected to know details of Laws & Regulations

Oh yes they are. For in Beijing on 10th October 2008, the WBF made this infamous pronouncement:

[Law]16A1(d) allows the player use of his memory of information in the laws and regulations. It does not authorize him to look during the auction and play at the printed regulations, the law book, or anyone’s scorecard or the backs of bidding cards etc. as (Law 40C3(a)) an aid to memory.  For system card and notes see Law 20G2. Neither does [Law]78D authorize players to consult during the auction and play printed copies of the information given them under this law.

This means that if you don't know the Laws, you cannot ask what they say, even though you are still expected to abide by them. You are not allowed, for example, to ask for a copy of the IMP or the VP scale currently in force.

This is, of course, abhorrent. Nevertheless, it is the Law, and players are (presumably) expected to know it (and the rest of the Laws and Regulations) in detail before they sit down to play. If not, may God help them, because the Director cannot.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-March-30, 12:27

The quote allows them to use their knowledge of the Laws & Regulations, but it does not decree they have such knowledge.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users