BBO Discussion Forums: 3nt, matchpoint line vs. IMP line - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3nt, matchpoint line vs. IMP line

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-31, 13:45

3-4-T-? (opps playing 4th best leads)

What's the best MP line?
IMPs?

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 15:24

If our objective is to make:

A club to the jack works when clubs are 3-2 with the queen onside, or singleton queen onside, or Qxxx onside but the spades coming in. Ignoring inferences from the lead, that's about 34 + 3 + 6 = 43%.

Playing spades from the top works when spades come in, and either Q comes down in two or LHO has A. That's about 52 x (0.5 x (2/5 x 0.68 + 1/5 x 0.28) + 0.5) ~= 35%. However, you also survive when spades don't come in but there's a singleton queen of clubs on the left, so that gets us up to about 36%.

At IMPs, a club to the jack is clearly best.

Considering the matchpoint problem:

If the club finesse works, we may then find the spades coming in too, and make 11 tricks. Or if spades are xx-Jxxx offside but LHO has A, we will still make at least 10 tricks. If the club finesse loses, we lose a club, probably four hearts, and a diamond for two off.

If the spade line works, we might get one overtrick if LHO has the red aces and J (cash the spades, cash two top clubs, lead Q), but two overtricks will need everything working. If the spade line fails, we lose two black-suit tricks.

So a club to the jack is still better than playing spades.

Playing for one off might be reasonable if we had a good line for one off, but we don't.

Hence a club to the jack is best at matchpoints too.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-31, 16:41

There is also a line of playing club to the ace and running J of clubs. This wins whenever clubs comes in or W has Qxx/Qx/Txx of clubs and A.
Looks like 45+% to me.

Even better would be to play spade to the ace first I think and then run J. Additional chance is that RHO won't put his Qx on this.
If he does play the queen then we play Ace and King of clubs if T won't come up then we try spades "knowing" T is on the right. If spades provide 5 tricks then we just play diamonds.
I don't know how much % is that but looks like 50+ easily.

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 02:55

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-31, 16:41, said:

There is also a line of playing club to the ace and running J of clubs. This wins whenever clubs comes in or W has Qxx/Qx/Txx of clubs and A.
Looks like 45+% to me.

Even better would be to play spade to the ace first I think and then run J. Additional chance is that RHO won't put his Qx on this.
If he does play the queen then we play Ace and King of clubs if T won't come up then we try spades "knowing" T is on the right. If spades provide 5 tricks then we just play diamonds.
I don't know how much % is that but looks like 50+ easily.

Yes, that does look better. If J is covered and the 10 doesn't fall, you should switch to spades. If the spades come in, now you just need LHO to have A, and if he doesn't you've only gone one down. If the spades don't come in, you can still play another club, hoping to find LHO with xx AJ9xx Axx 10xx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users