Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

learning to play like HH

#1 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-11, 08:33

A small spade was led. Trumps are 2-1 (2 with lefty).

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-11, 08:56

It looks like we either need 2-2 or RHO to win the with a stiff.

Win ace, club to Q, spade ruff, diamond ruff, spade ruff, ace of diamonds, diamond ruff, exit a heart. If LHO plays low from KJT or KQT (or holds QJT), RHO will be endplayed. If whoever wins is able to exit with a trump, then we need 2-2.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-11, 09:33

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-April-11, 08:56, said:

It looks like we either need 2-2 or RHO to win the with a stiff.

Win ace, club to Q, spade ruff, diamond ruff, spade ruff, ace of diamonds, diamond ruff, exit a heart. If LHO plays low from KJT or KQT (or holds QJT), RHO will be endplayed. If whoever wins is able to exit with a trump, then we need 2-2.

If you're going to play this line, you may as well start with a low diamond from dummy at trick two. RHO shouldn't play the king, but he might.

Your endplay seems to require a rather unlikely layout - RHO would have to be 5161, or LHO 4171. But that's no reason not to try it.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-April-11, 09:38

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-April-11, 09:54

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-11, 09:33, said:

If you're going to play this line, you may as well start with a low diamond from dummy at trick two. RHO shouldn't play the king, but he might.

Your endplay seems to require a rather unlikely layout - RHO would have to be 5161, or LHO 4171. But that's no reason not to try it.

Is that more likely than playing E for K and singleton K(or 2-2), and allowing him 2 trumps. You can avoid eliminating the pointy suits, draw 2 trumps and play a small , causing him to give you a spade or diamond trick if he has to win a stiff heart honour. Yes you can look stupid if are 2-2 and W has K.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-11, 10:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-April-11, 09:54, said:

Is that more likely than playing E for K and singleton K(or 2-2), and allowing him 2 trumps. You can avoid eliminating the pointy suits, draw 2 trumps and play a small , causing him to give you a spade or diamond trick if he has to win a stiff heart honour. Yes you can look stupid if are 2-2 and W has K.

What will you do with your spade trick once he's given it to you?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-11, 16:48

This was not meant to be a technical hand. Obviously the contract is basically on 2-2 hearts and the extra endplay chances mentioned above exist but are pretty miniscule.

There is one swindle opportunity, as gnasher mentioned, of a low diamond from dummy. This is what I also tried at the table, but I don't think the chances of it working are very high -- it just looks implausible to eschew the finesse (and also righty could have KJ).

There was a hand in one of the Mollo books where the Hideous Hog has a diamond suit of stiff A in hand opposite KJxx in dummy, with basically no dummy entry. He has a chance to take a simple line based on another side suit splitting 3-3, but instead runs all his trumps, has both opponents guarding diamonds in the ending, and claims with his other running side suit. This hand reminded me of it.

Perhaps I should have posted this as a defensive problem, but the one thing that the opponents are not going to play us for on this auction is four hearts, so I think it's a big mistake to take the diamond ruff early. Instead ruff two spades and start running trumps. The opponents will have to be on their feet to realize we've stranded the A. Suppose righty has 4 diamonds and 3 hearts (most plausible). Probably she will think I'm playing for a strip squeeze with xx Ax or perhaps x Axx (with AQ(x) I surely would have finessed). This will be consistent with her partner pitching discouraging diamonds to hang on to hearts (maybe even the count will be right!). Unless she has KQJ, she can just unblock the high honor and let partner win to put a diamond through. That would be a weird 6 bid, sure, but as can perhaps be guessed from the actual auction, this was a partnership with very few agreements, so anything is possible.

Obviously if the opponents have held on to a spade we can reconsider, etc.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-12, 03:09

View Postkarlson, on 2011-April-11, 16:48, said:

Perhaps I should have posted this as a defensive problem, but the one thing that the opponents are not going to play us for on this auction is four hearts, so I think it's a big mistake to take the diamond ruff early. Instead ruff two spades and start running trumps. The opponents will have to be on their feet to realize we've stranded the A. Suppose righty has 4 diamonds and 3 hearts (most plausible). Probably she will think I'm playing for a strip squeeze with xx Ax or perhaps x Axx (with AQ(x) I surely would have finessed). This will be consistent with her partner pitching discouraging diamonds to hang on to hearts (maybe even the count will be right!). Unless she has KQJ, she can just unblock the high honor and let partner win to put a diamond through. That would be a weird 6 bid, sure, but as can perhaps be guessed from the actual auction, this was a partnership with very few agreements, so anything is possible.

I like this idea, but on this deal I don't think it will work very often, if at all. The problem is that you have to use A as an entry for drawing trumps. If RHO has three hearts, he will see his partner play an honour on the first round. Whichever honour it is, it will look like a singleton.

#8 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-12, 03:37

Ah, you're right of course, I was imagining ruffing two spades with a trump reentry left, this obviously doesn't work. I'll put the ace of spades in declarer's hand when I write my book.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-April-12, 07:06

I'd just take A and lead a small . If RHO doesn't play his K I still have chances for 2-2 or an endplay.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users