• You cannot reply to this topic

Of course this seems standard

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-April-08, 20:08

There seems to be some development of unusual bidding systems recently.

After I opened 1 on one deal, wife responding 4NT Blackwood, then 5NT Kings, she bid 6, which turned out to be a relay to 6NT because 6NT would have asked for Queens.

On another, after 1-1NT-P-2; P-2-2-3; 3-?, the next person bid 5 to show a great club suit, jumping because 4 is always Gerber.

I am studying this new system of bidding, and some of it seems really good. Another, however, same up last night, and I'm still not sure that I understand the theory. But, it seems incredibly sound.

After two passes, I opened 2 with 9xxxx2 AQxx Qx x. LHO overcalled 2NT, partner passed, and my RHO bid 3:

P-P-2-2NT
P-3?

At this point, I thought this was showing hearts. But, my LHO started muttering that this made no sense. I suggested that perhaps it was a transfer to spades, and the LHO maybe should super-accept. LHO ultimately shrugged his shoulders and bid 3NT, mystified by this 3 call.

Before partner's lead, RHO chimed in that 3 is and should be rather obvious. He very sincerely shook his head, commenting that it can only mean one thing and that this should not be that difficult.

So, partner tabled the spade Ace, and this dummy hit:

xx Jxx xx AQJ9xx

Now, at this point, I was a tad perplexed. RHO swore that this was obviously the correct bid with this hand. LHO then responded, "Oh yeah -- steps." Apparently, this was a steps response to 2NT, showing maybe 7-9 HCP. Maybe 6-8. Does anyone know what the standard steps are here?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-08, 22:01

0-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13+. Outside the psychiatric ward, I like to play this as asking for double stop. Probably not optimum, but it's what it is.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-09, 11:45

Before I respond, I have to say that these aren't developments to systems as they are to certain sequences and conventions (sorry to point that out, but I have OCD and it's a pet peeve of mine). I find it interesting to see these little changes, and it promoted me to pitch an idea for how to respond over (2M)-2NT-P:
3 = Stayman ask
3 = Asking for a 2nd stop over 2; Transfer to Hearts over 2
3 = Transfer to Spades over 2; Asking for a 2nd stop over 2
3 = Transfer to a minor - really weak

If partner is asking for a 2nd stop, then (s)he should have a long, strong minor. An alternative structure, which might be better, would be:
3 = Sign-off
3 = Sign-off
3 = Sign-off over 2; Asking for a 2nd stop over 2
3 = Asking for a 2nd stop over 2; Sign-off over 2
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-April-09, 11:49

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-April-08, 20:08, said:

Now, at this point, I was a tad perplexed. RHO swore that this was obviously the correct bid with this hand. LHO then responded, "Oh yeah -- steps." Apparently, this was a steps response to 2NT, showing maybe 7-9 HCP. Maybe 6-8. Does anyone know what the standard steps are here?

I believe that the standard steps here are 13, as in the number of steps leading to the gallows.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-09, 13:42

Did anyone else smile about 6NT asking for queens?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-April-13, 14:21

You may not believe this Ken, but I play that 3H shows clubs. We play transfers. After 2H - 2NT we play that 3D is "stayman", and 3H shows spades. But after 2H - 2NT the straghtforward transfers would wrongside hearts after Stayman, so we play that 3S is stayman and 3H shows clubs. I don't think this is farfetched and I'm sure that many people play this.

Having said that, I would just bid 3NT on the given hand.

Sorry Aqua, I don't think I smiled.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 11:00

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-April-09, 13:42, said:

Did anyone else smile about 6NT asking for queens?

For what it's worth, with one partner, we've agreed that 6 in a gerber auction asks for queens (not my idea)
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-April-14, 11:05

View Postmanudude03, on 2011-April-14, 11:00, said:

For what it's worth, with one partner, we've agreed that 6 in a gerber auction asks for queens (not my idea)

Yeh, we did that back in the 60's, and I am sure some still do. That is different from when the answer has to come at the 7-level. But I was really just being silly. It still might be a way of deciding whether to play 7-suit or 7NT.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-April-14, 11:55

View Posthan, on 2011-April-13, 14:21, said:

You may not believe this Ken, but I play that 3H shows clubs. We play transfers. After 2H - 2NT we play that 3D is "stayman", and 3H shows spades. But after 2H - 2NT the straghtforward transfers would wrongside hearts after Stayman, so we play that 3S is stayman and 3H shows clubs. I don't think this is farfetched and I'm sure that many people play this.

Having said that, I would just bid 3NT on the given hand.

Sorry Aqua, I don't think I smiled.

Actually, that's not at all that weird. This is somewhat similar to a structure I came up with for dealing with a 2NT opening (or delayed 2NT "opening") when the length of one major is known (e.g., denying four spades or promising 4-5 spades). In that scenario, 3H for clubs, 3S for diamonds as "flags" makes a lot of sense, which is a similar concept.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users