• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bin Laden

#81 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-May-06, 08:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-May-06, 07:41, said:

Today is Friday, May 6th, 2011, and Osama Bin Ladin is still dead.

Is this an SNL update, a la Generalísimo Francisco Franco?

"Generalísimo Francisco Franco is still clinging tenaciously to death!"

This is from 36 years ago, but it is still funny. It even has a Wikipedia entry (google "Francisco Franco and SNL").

#82 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-May-06, 09:18

View PostFree, on 2011-May-06, 08:27, said:

Personally I don't believe everything they say. There are too many loose ends and contradictions, not to mention the poor arguments for not proving he's actually dead.

First he was armed, later it got out that he wasn't armed. Why would they kill him if they can capture him alive? Everyone knows it's worse for Al-Qaida if he's dead, while it's better for the USA if they capture him alive to extract information and make him pay.

Al-Qaida confirms bin Laden's death

CAIRO — Al-Qaida on Friday confirmed the killing of Osama bin Laden and warned of retaliation, saying America's "happiness will turn to sadness."

The confirmation came in an Internet statement posted on militant websites, signed by "the general leadership" of al-Qaida.

The announcement opens the way for the group to name a successor to bin Laden. His deputy Ayman al-Zawahri is now the most prominent figure in the group and is a very likely contender to take his place. The U.S.-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, thought to be hiding in Yemen, has also been mentioned as a possible successor.

Looks like al Qaeda is in on the conspiracy with the US. What is the world coming to?
:rolleyes:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#83 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-06, 10:07

Not everything is a damn conspiracy.

Not everything goes according to plan, particularly when you're talking about military ops.

Not everything about an op in progress or just completed is immediately known with certainty to the NCA.

If you want to believe the US government, from Obama all the way down to low ranking sailors on the carrier from which Bin Ladin was buried at sea, is lying about what happened and about the fate of Bin Ladin, you go right ahead. Personally, I think you're out of your mind.

"Removed Bin Ladin from earth's surface", eh? What, they took him to the moon?

As to whether AQ is still an effective organization, I'm not so sure it is, at least wrt attacks in the US, but only time will tell.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#84 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-May-06, 10:28

I don't claim that this is possible or remotelly likelly, but I think that getting Osama out alive, making the world believe he is death, and torturing him to get info about Al Qaeda would be better than just killing him.

#85 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-May-06, 11:40

View PostFluffy, on 2011-May-06, 10:28, said:

I don't claim that this is possible or remotelly likelly, but I think that getting Osama out alive, making the world believe he is death, and torturing him to get info about Al Qaeda would be better than just killing him.

And to think, someone just claimed that Franco was still dead...

Looks like his spirit is alive and well.
Alderaan delenda est

#86 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-May-06, 12:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-May-06, 11:40, said:

And to think, someone just claimed that Franco was still dead...

Looks like his spirit is alive and well.

Personally, I'm still pissed that the Inquisition was called off.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#87 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2011-May-06, 15:40

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-May-06, 12:46, said:

wait, what?
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#88 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-May-06, 17:58

View Postluke warm, on 2011-May-06, 15:40, said:

wait, what?

I know how you feel. Give them the best 400 years of your life and this is the thanks you get?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#89 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-May-06, 18:12

Pentagon Backtracks on Claims That bin Laden Put Up a Fight - now says it was more on the lines of a disagreement about whether or not the Arab translation of "Freeze, Asshole!" should use the present or the future perfect tense.

#90 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-06, 21:33

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-May-06, 10:07, said:

As to whether AQ is still an effective organization, I'm not so sure it is, at least wrt attacks in the US, but only time will tell.

Bin Laden had his 15 minutes of fame and I wouldn't give him a second more.

The principles that the arab world are demonstrating in support of are so far removed from an AQ position that this bum has been irrelevant for a long time. Good riddance.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#91 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-06, 22:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-May-06, 18:12, said:

Pentagon Backtracks on Claims That bin Laden Put Up a Fight - now says it was more on the lines of a disagreement about whether or not the Arab translation of "Freeze, Asshole!" should use the present or the future perfect tense.

curious if you could provide an example of future perfect for us, in plain english. you know, the joke might be funnier with an example. I don't know much about English, but what I do know suggests that Antoine Dodson would have some comment about the quality of this joke. Just sayin'.

meanwhile, politards, let us briefly discuss how badass the SEAL dogs are that allegedly participated in this mission:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and further, some interesting info about the chopper:

ArmyTimes.com
May 4, 2011

Mission Helo Was Secret Stealth Black Hawk

By Sean D. Naylor, Staff writer

The helicopters that flew the Navy SEALs on the mission to kill Osama bin Laden were a radar-evading variant of the special operations MH-60 Black Hawk, according to a retired special operations aviator.

The helicopter’s low-observable technology is similar to that of the F-117 Stealth Fighter the retired special operations aviator said. “It really didn’t look like a traditional Black Hawk,” he said. It had “hard edges, sort of like an … F-117, you know how they have those distinctive edges and angles — that’s what they had on this one.”

In addition, “in order to keep the radar cross-section down, you have to do something to treat the windshield,” he said. If a special coating was applied to the windshield it is “very plausible” that would make the helicopter more difficult to fly for pilots wearing night-vision goggles, he said. The helicopters carrying the SEALs arrived over the bin Laden compound at about 1 a.m. Monday local time. One crash-landed in the courtyard and was so badly damaged it was unable to take off again.

That crash landing might have been caused by a phenomenon known as “settling with power,” which occurs when a helicopter descends too quickly because its rotors cannot get the lift required from the turbulent air of their own downwash. “It’s hard to settle with power in a Black Hawk, but then again, if they were using one of these [low-observable helicopters], working at max gross weight, it’s certainly plausible that they could have because they would have been flying so heavy,” the retired special operations aviator said, noting that low-observable modifications added “several hundred pounds” to the weight of the MH-60, which already weighs about 500 to 1000 pounds more than a regular UH-60 Black Hawk.

The special operations troops on the bin Laden mission destroyed the stricken aircraft — most likely using thermite grenades — but the resultant fire left the helicopter’s tail boom, tail rotor assembly and horizontal stabilizers intact in the compound’s courtyard.

Photographs of the wreckage taken the next day raced around the Internet, creating a firestorm of speculation among military aviation enthusiasts because the tail of the helicopter did not resemble any officially acknowledged U.S. military airframe.

This was to be expected, the retired special operations aviator said. “Certain parts of the fuselage, the nose and the tail had these various almost like snap-on parts to them that gave it the very unique appearance,” he said. He and another source referred to the disc-shaped device that is seen covering the tail rotor in the photographs as a “hubcap.”

If the radar-evading technology worked, it “would be a true statement” to say that the use of the low-observable Black Hawks was evidence that the United States gave Pakistani authorities no advance warning of the mission, the retired special operations aviator added.

The low-observable program started with AH-6 Little Bird special operations attack helicopters in the 1980s, said the aviator. During the 1990s U.S. Special Operations Command worked with the Lockheed-Martin Skunk Works division, which also designed the F-117, to refine the radar-evading technology and apply it to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment’s MH-60s, he said. USSOCOM awarded a contract to Boeing to modify several MH-60s to the low-observable design “in the ’99 to 2000 timeframe,” he said.

Initial plans called for the low-observable Black Hawks to be formed into a new unit commanded by a lieutenant colonel and located at a military facility in Nevada, the retired special operations aviator said. “The intent was always to move it out west where it could be kept in a covered capability,” he said.

USSOCOM planned to assign about 35 to 50 personnel to the unit, the retired special operations aviator said. “There were going to be four [low-observable] aircraft, they were going to have a couple of ‘slick’ unmodified Black Hawks, and that was going to be their job was to fly the low-observables.”

SOCOM canceled those plans “within the last two years,” but not before at least some of the low-observable helicopters had been delivered to the Nevada facility, the retired aviator said. “I don’t know if it was for money or if it was because the technology was not achieving the reduction in the radar cross-section that they were hoping for,” he said. In the meantime, MH-60 Black Hawk crews from the 160th’s 1st Battalion, headquartered at Fort Campbell, Ky., would rotate to Nevada to train on the stealthy aircraft, he said.

The low-observable MH-60s were armed with the same sort of door mini-guns as standard MH-60s, he said. “There was not a DAP conversion,” he added, referring to the MH-60 variant known as the Direct Action Penetrator, which is equipped with stub wings upon which can be fitted a variety of armaments.

The early versions of the low-observable Black Hawks were not fitted with air-to-air refueling probes, the retired special operations aviator said. “The probe would disrupt the ability to reduce the radar cross-section,” he added. “There was no way to put some kind of a hub or cowling over the probe that would make it stealthy.” However, he said he did not know whether the models that flew the bin Laden mission had been equipped with such probes.

USSOCOM spokesman Army Col. Tim Nye said his command had no comment for this story.

Marcus Weisgerber contributed to this story.

OK
bed

#92 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-07, 01:31

View PostPassedOut, on 2011-May-06, 09:18, said:

Al-Qaida confirms bin Laden's death

Looks like al Qaeda is in on the conspiracy with the US. What is the world coming to?
:rolleyes:

Yeah, the media always tell the truth... Ever heard of propaganda (like the guy in Iraq who claimed the Americans were running away like little children - he was very funny btw)? :rolleyes: And emails are so difficult to fake ofcourse.

Let me ask you: HOW do they know he's dead? Did they get pictures, movies,... as proof?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#93 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-07, 02:17

View PostFree, on 2011-May-07, 01:31, said:

Yeah, the media always tell the truth... Ever heard of propaganda (like the guy in Iraq who claimed the Americans were running away like little children - he was very funny btw)? :rolleyes: And emails are so difficult to fake ofcourse.

Let me ask you: HOW do they know he's dead? Did they get pictures, movies,... as proof?

Are you asking how can anyone prove the pictures or movies are not super duper computer fakes? super beyond your computer knowledge?
----------------

lets start with the pics and movies are beyond your computer expertise.....

I hope the usa does not buy cheap and we use those moon fakers from 1969.

--------------------

Also I hope we use those Seals who are expert lawyers and only shoot when legal......

#94 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-07, 05:07

It wasn't, it still works but under new name and with different methodes. No more waterboardings, but the tormenta de toca is not forgotten, modern bigots use it to find the one and only truth.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#95 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-May-07, 06:04

Vindication, at last!

Ahmadinjead allies arrested on suspicion of sorcery
By JPOST.COM STAFF AND REUTERS
05/06/2011 12:35

#96 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-May-07, 08:43

View PostFree, on 2011-May-07, 01:31, said:

They talked with people that they know and trust who actually witnessed what happened.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#97 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-May-07, 10:56

View Postbarmar, on 2011-May-06, 01:17, said:

Yes, due process even for Bin Laden. That's how we show our moral superiority. Even if the outcome of the trial is a virtual certainty, we should still go through the motions, because it's the right thing to do. The worse the perpetrator, the more we demonstrate our righteousness by not abandoning our principles.
On the whole, Barmar seems right (except that I'm not sure about "superior" morality). Under the exigencies of pragmatic pressure. it's human-nature for us to rationalize the jettison of moral principles. Sadly, we often throw the baby out with the bathwater.

#98 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-May-07, 11:06

View PostFluffy, on 2011-May-06, 10:28, said:

Are you a werebear, Fluffy? Do you really advocate torture?

#99 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-07, 13:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-May-06, 18:12, said:

This so takes me back to life of brian
"Romanes eunt domus" - er, no. "Romani ite domum"

Mind you, if someone in khaki points an assault rifle at me and shouts "you are frozen, asshole", I might get the gist,
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#100 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-May-07, 14:09

Not everything is a damn conspiracy.

So much for my subscription to "Conspiracy Today" magazine. B-)

If that vast secret organization of right wing like-minded ideologues hadn't secretly agreed and implemented their strategy to ban all government regulations, that ad would have had a disclaimer on it somewhere. :P

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users