BBO Discussion Forums: Man or Mouse? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Man or Mouse?

Poll: Man or Mouse? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you play jump shift?

1. Strong (17-18 Soloway style) (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

2. Weak (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Both, varies as to whom I'm playing with (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Both, " but I prefer strong (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Both, " but I prefer weak (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

6. I have another meaning for the bid (explain) (8 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-June-27, 19:28

I have always played Soloway style SJS and even after changing from SAYC to 2/1 I still play them, and like them.
We use SJS M/m and S/H.

I'm interested to know how others are playing it and if there is a better use.

tyia
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-27, 19:36

I play reverse flannery for M/m. What it is:

1m-2H is 5+Sp and 4+ He and constructive values
1m-2S is 5+Sp 4+He and limit raise
1m-1S; blah-2H is now game forcing with 5+ Sp and 4+ He.

I don't do anything fancy with 1H-2S. Just a weak jump shift.

We do play:

P-1H
2S
as an anonymous splinter. Maybe we should play it that way in all seats...

Edit: Like Timo, I play support jump shift by passed hand for every jump except 1H-2S (and 1H-2NT is our spade jump shift).

This post has been edited by BunnyGo: 2011-June-27, 20:31

Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-June-27, 19:55

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-June-27, 19:36, said:

I play reverse flannery for M/m. What it is:

1m-2H is 5+Sp and 4+ He and constructive values
1m-2S is 5+Sp 4+He and limit raise
1m-1S; blah-2H is now game forcing with 5+ Sp and 4+ He.

I don't do anything fancy with 1H-2S. Just a weak jump shift.

We do play:

P-1H
2S
as an anonymous splinter. Maybe we should play it that way in all seats...

The F word!
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-27, 20:16

View Postjillybean, on 2011-June-27, 19:55, said:

The F word!

Why don't you like this convention?

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-27, 20:28

View Postjillybean, on 2011-June-27, 19:28, said:

I have always played Solway style SJS and even after changing from SAYC to 2/1 I still play them, and like them.
We use SJS M/m and S/H.

I'm interested to know how others are playing it and if there is a better use.

tyia

By unpassed hand I play 9-11 6 cards invitational hands Kathryn. It not only comes frequent, but also helps when it doesnt come in other auctions knowing pd had the availibity to use it but didnt. As well as takes some weight on standart invitation bids. Not a fancy way i know but, easy to remember and easy to judge when used by any level of player.

By passed hand i play it "support jump shift"
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-28, 02:22

I used to play Bergen raises and then I analysed the results I and others achieved with them in comparison to not using them. There was no advantage whatsoever. So we went back to strong jump shifts, not as strong as Soloway JS, but about a minimum of about 15+ with a very good 6 card suit, or alternatively a very good 5 card suit together with Hxx (+) support for partner's opened suit. This has made slam bidding and also game bidding far easier.

I have a lot of time for intermediate js, particularly in the minors, (about 9-11 with a good 6 carder). I did play this for a while with a Polish partner who played it as part of Strefa.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-28, 02:28

View PostMrAce, on 2011-June-27, 20:28, said:

By unpassed hand I play 9-11 6 cards invitational hands Kathryn. It not only comes frequent, but also helps when it doesnt come in other auctions knowing pd had the availibity to use it but didnt.

Especially when playing 2/1, you get these hands out of 1NT, which you can then play as semiforcing.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-28, 02:36

View Postjillybean, on 2011-June-27, 19:55, said:

The F word!

It's "reverse F", so that doesn't count :P

I also like reverse flannery, although I play the weak version only:
1m-2 = 5-9HCP, 5+, 4+
1m-2 = 5+-9HCP, 5+m (1m-3m is 0-5 with support)

This way opener can find out about min/max and shortness in responder's hand,... with a 2NT relay. It's more useful than the INV 5+ 4+ imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-28, 02:50

View PostFree, on 2011-June-28, 02:36, said:

It's "reverse F", so that doesn't count :P

I also like reverse flannery, although I play the weak version only:
1m-2 = 5-9HCP, 5+, 4+
1m-2 = 5+-9HCP, 5+m (1m-3m is 0-5 with support)

This way opener can find out about min/max and shortness in responder's hand,... with a 2NT relay. It's more useful than the INV 5+ 4+ imo.

interesting treatment. What do you do with INV? bid 1S and then some NMF (or NMF-like) bid?

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-28, 03:10

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-June-28, 02:50, said:

interesting treatment. What do you do with INV? bid 1S and then some NMF (or NMF-like) bid?

We start with 1. Usually partner rebids 1NT after which we play XYZ (and have 2 ways of inviting: good INV via 2 or bad INV immediately). Partner supports on a 3 card regularly, after which we can still find the 4-4 fit. And if opener rebids his minor, the 2 rebid as INV+ and forcing for 1 round. Works ok.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-June-28, 04:39

(edit: almost) Completely agree with BunnyGo! Reverse Flannery is a very good convention opposite 1m! BTW jillybean, fred is one of the most outspoken supporters of it.

edit: sorry but I don't like 1-2 WJS and I really don't like anonymous splinter :( 1-2 as IJS is better.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-June-28, 07:58

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-June-27, 20:16, said:

Why don't you like this convention?

Sorry. It's not the convention it's the F word that has such a bad rep, especially on forums. We will look at this.

View PostMrAce, on 2011-June-27, 20:28, said:

By unpassed hand I play 9-11 6 cards invitational hands Kathryn. It not only comes frequent, but also helps when it doesnt come in other auctions knowing pd had the availibity to use it but didnt. As well as takes some weight on standart invitation bids. Not a fancy way i know but, easy to remember and easy to judge when used by any level of player.

By passed hand i play it "support jump shift"

Thanks, I like the sounds of this and having these hands out of the 1N response.

View Postthe hog, on 2011-June-28, 02:22, said:

I used to play Bergen raises and then I analysed the results I and others achieved with them in comparison to not using them. There was no advantage whatsoever. So we went back to strong jump shifts, not as strong as Soloway JS, but about a minimum of about 15+ with a very good 6 card suit, or alternatively a very good 5 card suit together with Hxx (+) support for partner's opened suit. This has made slam bidding and also game bidding far easier.

I have a lot of time for intermediate js, particularly in the minors, (about 9-11 with a good 6 carder). I did play this for a while with a Polish partner who played it as part of Strefa.

We still play Bergen since we can use 2m/1M to force game, our SJS is only M/m and S/H.
What do you use instead, a natural 1M:3M ?
(still learning)

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-28, 08:29

Reverse Flannery does not have a bad reputation on the forums. I thought mike777 was the only regular forum poster that still played Bergen raises. I play invitational jump shifts.

I like the idea of playing 1H - 2S as 5-9 so that 1H - 1S - 2red-2S can be used as an artificial GF, but I have never played this.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-28, 08:42

Ya I play full bergen.

Also:
1m=2h=reverse flannery.
1m=2s=invitational in minor(crisscross)
1m=jump in other minor gf(crisscross)
1h=2s=stiff somewhere;2nt asks;about a 7 loser hand;
1h=3s=void somewhere;3nt asks, etc.
1s=3h=stiff or void somewhere;3s asks;etc.
----

that throws a lot of the invitational hands into sf 1nt that others use as inv j/s. So far this is seldom an issue at the table and of course if pard is a passed hand then 1M=2minor does not become an issue. Also if LHO overcalls then 2/1 with an invite hand becomes less of an issue.

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-June-28, 08:47

Always invitational at the 3 level.

Reverse Flannery and invitational JS's at the 2 level both have their wins, but since the Reverse Flannery is an 'impossible hand' to show sometimes, that's my preference.

I scratch my head at people that like SJS over majors playing 2/1.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-June-28, 09:11

View PostPhil, on 2011-June-28, 08:47, said:

I scratch my head at people that like SJS playing over majors playing 2/1.

We only play 1:2 as a SJS, I like being able to show this hand with one bid.
Having said that, it's not needed now that we play xyz, I think the only auction that causes trouble is 1:1 2.
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-June-28, 09:13

Over 1M I prefer all jump shifts to show support (good hands can relay or 2/1 depending on system). Over 1D (and 1C if natural) I prefer weak jump shifts. For me, even if SJS are seen as a necessity (why, especially playing 2/1 or relays, is a mystery), devoting 3 bids to them is a luxury. It seems a no-brainer to use the lowest jump shift as a general strong jump shift (which can be resolved) and use the other 2 for something else.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-28, 12:19

View Postgwnn, on 2011-June-28, 04:39, said:

(edit: almost) Completely agree with BunnyGo! Reverse Flannery is a very good convention opposite 1m! BTW jillybean, fred is one of the most outspoken supporters of it.

edit: sorry but I don't like 1-2 WJS and I really don't like anonymous splinter :( 1-2 as IJS is better.

Yes, my new partner is having me play 2S as invitational.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-28, 14:37

View Postjillybean, on 2011-June-28, 07:58, said:

Sorry. It's not the convention it's the F word that has such a bad rep, especially on forums. We will look at this.

Thanks, I like the sounds of this and having these hands out of the 1N response.

We still play Bergen since we can use 2m/1M to force game, our SJS is only M/m and S/H.
What do you use instead, a natural 1M:3M ?

1M 2NT = invit+
Don't really know of many people who play Bergen these days, and even fewer who really know it.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-June-28, 15:52

View Postthe hog, on 2011-June-28, 14:37, said:

1M 2NT = invit+
Don't really know of many people who play Bergen these days, and even fewer who really know it.

Funny, most players at the club here play Bergen but now that I think about it, maybe not the really good players.

How does 1M 2N invit+ work. Is 1M:2N 3x:3M inviational?

I've just discovered my partner plays Reverse Flannery with some of his other partners, so we could play..

RF or IJS (unpassed hand) and
Fit jump (passed hand) and
1M:2C* clubs, balanced gf, or 4M gf and
1M:2N inv+

Is that correct?
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users