• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Respond to a Negative Double Inviting your comments

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-13, 05:26

Scoring is Matchpoints. The X shows at least 1 4-card or longer Major and about 8+ points.

Would your bid change if you were a touch weaker?

#2 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-13, 05:32

2NT.
Pass might work well, especially against someone who is known to be an unsound overcaller.

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-13, 06:26

2. I'm too afraid of bidding a Major and play at the 2 level with a 3-3 fit. 2NT with such a lousy stopper, I don't think so. Partner will find another bid if we belong to 3NT.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-July-13, 07:16

With only 8 HCP responder should have both four card majors.
Should have at least 10 HCP with only one four card major.

2 sounds like the best rebid. Responder should not
bid 2NT without clubs doubly stopped. He should call 3
to allow opener to rebid 3NT. With Kxx and Qxx, put the
interventor on opening lead, not his partner.

#5 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-14, 16:56

2D is the least of evils. Some folks bid a 3-card major but that just often ends up in 3-3 fit...no good. The negative doubler may not have both majors and has no idea to correct to spades; besides, he might have diamond support.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 02:39

If you bid 2, you're not very likely to play in a 3-3 fit. Partner will correct with four diamonds, so it will be a 3-3 fit only if he's something like 3433.

A bigger danger of 2 is that parter will raise it, or just that you play there in a 4-3 fit with the long hand being forced or overruffed.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 10:12

2NT looks natural and shows the value and shape of these two hands. Any other bids are not as good as 2NT IMO. those who are afraid of declaring 3-3 2M fit may play a 4-1 fit in 2D facing: KJxx AJxx x xxxx.

View Postjmcw, on 2011-July-13, 05:26, said:

Scoring is Matchpoints. The X shows at least 1 4-card or longer Major and about 8+ points.

Would your bid change if you were a touch weaker?

#8 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 12:28

View Postxxhong, on 2011-July-15, 10:12, said:

2NT looks natural and shows the value and shape of these two hands. Any other bids are not as good as 2NT IMO. those who are afraid of declaring 3-3 2M fit may play a 4-1 fit in 2D facing: KJxx AJxx x xxxx.

I was thinking much the same when this had came up at the local club.

Bidding either red suit runs the significant risk of missing our best fit.

On the other hand 2NT is not ideal on the given stopper, but on balance, I thought the least of evils.

Is there agreement that a 2NT range is 12+/14 and that the detractors rejected solely on the dubious stopper?

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-July-15, 13:15

I usually bid 2NT on these hands, because if partner has a good hand I'd prefer not to have misdescribed my shape. If we belong in game it should probably be 3NT from my side, so I prefer not to plant any other ideas in partner's mind.

However, I don't think 2NT is necessarily better than the alternatives. The main problem with 2NT is that if partner passes it will often go down. Two of any suit has some chance of being the right spot - you may find that it's an eight-card fit, or a seven-card fit may play OK - but 2NT will rarely be best. Also, 2NT doesn't give us a second chance. If we bid 2, partner, with short diamonds, may convert to a 5-card major.

I've considered, but never played, these artificial solutions to this problem:
(1) Swap 2 and 2NT, so 2 shows a weak notrump without a major, and 2NT shows a one-suiter in diamonds.
(2) Play 2 as two-way, either a one-suiter in diamonds or a weak notrump without a major. With short diamonds, responder should remove to something, so sometimes we'll end up one level higher when opener really does have diamond length, but sometimes we'll be able to stop in 2.

There are also ways to sidestep the problem:
- Open 1 on all balanced hands, so that the problem occurs in fewer auctions.
- Play some clever transfer-based method where responder is more specific about his suit lengths. Han?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 13:44

I was planning to rebid 1NT (I guess) so now it's 2NT, unless I've a conventional solution.

#11 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 14:05

Facing some 4-5 or 5-4 majors, you may like to play 2M, still, 2M doesn't have to be good either. The intrinsic problem is that this hand is relatively weak and you are somehow forced to 2NT (unless you want to take risk to pass). I sometimes think that it's wise to play some sort of transfers over 1D 2C, like x showing D fit, 2D shows H, 2H shows S, 2S transfers to 2NT, blabla. The transfer can be based on 4 cards for gf hands, and 5 or 6 for weaker hands. Anyway, this is a good example to show why you want to overcall 2C frequently over 1D.

View Postgnasher, on 2011-July-15, 13:15, said:

I usually bid 2NT on these hands, because if partner has a good hand I'd prefer not to have misdescribed my shape. If we belong in game it should probably be 3NT from my side, so I prefer not to plant any other ideas in partner's mind.

However, I don't think 2NT is necessarily better than the alternatives. The main problem with 2NT is that if partner passes it will often go down. Two of any suit has some chance of being the right spot - you may find that it's an eight-card fit, or a seven-card fit may play OK - but 2NT will rarely be best. Also, 2NT doesn't give us a second chance. If we bid 2, partner, with short diamonds, may convert to a 5-card major.

I've considered, but never played, these artificial solutions to this problem:
(1) Swap 2 and 2NT, so 2 shows a weak notrump without a major, and 2NT shows a one-suiter in diamonds.
(2) Play 2 as two-way, either a one-suiter in diamonds or a weak notrump without a major. With short diamonds, responder should remove to something, so sometimes we'll end up one level higher when opener really does have diamond length, but sometimes we'll be able to stop in 2.

There are also ways to sidestep the problem:
- Open 1 on all balanced hands, so that the problem occurs in fewer auctions.
- Play some clever transfer-based method where responder is more specific about his suit lengths. Han?

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 15:25

View Postjmcw, on 2011-July-15, 12:28, said:

I was thinking much the same when this had came up at the local club.

Bidding either red suit runs the significant risk of missing our best fit.

On the other hand 2NT is not ideal on the given stopper, but on balance, I thought the least of evils.

Is there agreement that a 2NT range is 12+/14 and that the detractors rejected solely on the dubious stopper?

Looking for the ideal spot is the wrong approach toward these hands. You should be scrambling for a plus score. It's rarely right to be in 2NT in a contested auction. 2 is not shutout. Responder with a good hand wont pass it. With 5-4 in the majors, he can now show his five bagger. 2NT may already be too high when responder is minimum.

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-July-15, 16:09

View Postgnasher, on 2011-July-15, 13:15, said:

The agreement I have with my regular partner is not transfer based, and I can't say whether it is clever, but it is more specific about suit lengths. Double promises 4+ spades but does not promise or deny 4+ hearts.

Playing this I'd bid 2S.

Otherwise I'd bid 2NT on the first hand and 2D on the second.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-15, 22:38

View Postjogs, on 2011-July-15, 15:25, said:

Looking for the ideal spot is the wrong approach toward these hands. You should be scrambling for a plus score. It's rarely right to be in 2NT in a contested auction. 2 is not shutout. Responder with a good hand wont pass it. With 5-4 in the majors, he can now show his five bagger. 2NT may already be too high when responder is minimum.

Your point makes sense to me..at least to a point.

A 2 rebid on a 4 card suit runs the considerable risk of missing a much better Major suit fit. If West holds a dub and a 5 card Major should he pull?.
Opener could have 6 and a stiff in the Major!

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-July-16, 02:34

View Postjmcw, on 2011-July-15, 22:38, said:

A 2 rebid on a 4 card suit runs the considerable risk of missing a much better Major suit fit. If West holds a dub and a 5 card Major should he pull?.

Your 2NT bid will also miss that major-suit fit.

#16 User is offline   BriddlesBo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-16, 04:21

Anyone one for "3C" as a Western-Cue (with agreement of having a Partial Stop in Clubs)? Partner can still show a 5-card Major, return to 3D....noting that the NegX bidder should always have an "out" if Opener bids the WRONG Major (i.e. after WRONG Major he has Diamond support or stopper in Clubs....at least that's best treatment by NegX bidder).

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-16, 05:12

I feel like passing, lol.

The problem with 2 is that pard won't be anxious to bid a 5-card suit over it. Perhaps 2 is the best bid, as pard is more likely to have 5-4 with 5 hearts than he is to have 5-4 with 5 spades.

#18 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 06:55

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-July-16, 05:12, said:

I feel like passing, lol.

The problem with 2 is that pard won't be anxious to bid a 5-card suit over it. Perhaps 2 is the best bid, as pard is more likely to have 5-4 with 5 hearts than he is to have 5-4 with 5 spades.

Assuming the OP is not playing neg free bids. With
K43 KQJ76 543 64
Doesn't responder wish to be allowed to show hearts
on the two level?

Or are your minimums for the negX higher?

#19 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 10:30

View Postjogs, on 2011-July-16, 06:55, said:

Assuming the OP is not playing neg free bids. With
K43 KQJ76 543 64
Doesn't responder wish to be allowed to show hearts
on the two level?

Or are your minimums for the negX higher?

A negative free bid was not an option. 2 of a new suit would show 10+ and be F1.

The double showed a minimum of about 8 with no upper limit if balanced.

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-July-16, 11:58

View Posthan, on 2011-July-15, 16:09, said:

The agreement I have with my regular partner is not transfer based, and I can't say whether it is clever, but it is more specific about suit lengths. Double promises 4+ spades but does not promise or deny 4+ hearts.

Would you mind posting the rest of the method please han?
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users