BBO Discussion Forums: Matter of style? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matter of style? Getting 9 Tricks at NT

Poll: Matter of style? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Answer to part B is:

1. Play for 3-3 diamonds (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Sp 7 at trick 1, win and play another spade right away (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

3. Run clubs first, then do something else (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

4. Play hearts in one way or another (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 06:46

IMPs. You receive the 5 (4th best) as the lead.
Spoiler
Assume opponents will Smith echo if given the opportunity.

A) Comment on use of puppet/puppet derivatives here
B) How do you plan on stopping them from running hearts before you take 9 tricks? (Take the chances of blockage into account if you'd like)
C) Does your answer to B change if the auction had gone 1NT-3NT? (Same lead)

Edit: to be clear, I'm not interested in the correct technical line necessarily, but as to what line gives them the least chance of finding a heart switch.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   mike gill 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 09:30

A) I think bidding puppet is bad with Qx in the other major - this makes defending a lot easier here.
B) Unfortunately, since we've given the show away during the auction I think good opponents will always find the switch.
I would play the sQ at trick 1 since if that holds I'm cold. When it gets covered, I'm essentially playing for 3-3 diamonds. If they always card honestly you could try cK (to get the smith signal out of the way), then play a diamond to the K and see if they both show even. If you're convinced they both have even count, you could try "running the hJ" now and see if all this switching suits injects some confusion. But yeah this really shouldn't work.
C) Yes I would just play low at T1, then play back a spade if they play the J. JTx isn't a particularly inviting shift for a lot of holdings they could have. Seems like they might just defend passively, especially if the person who has the spade winner doesn't have the 9 (so he won't know I'm only getting 1 trick from my spade play)

#3 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-21, 09:30

A. I'd just bid 3NT and not give away info. Your spades aren't a small doubleton and you have healthy enough values.

B. I feel I have to make the play of a low spade though a high one is likely better given the actual position. After low spade, J, A, it's clear I have the King or 10, so even without smith echo, West knows the position, and East's opinion of the suit's prospects can only improve.

I think I would run the clubs, hoping someone pitches from 4 of a red suit, and then guess whether to exit a spade or try for diamonds 3-3.

It may be better to try playing hearts. The heart play looks suspect, given that we're known to only have three, but it could work, especially if whoever wins gets the feeling you were trying to steal a heart trick.

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-23, 05:27

With the auction given, I'd cash the clubs, then cash the diamonds unless I think they've thrown the long heart. That works not only with diamonds 3-3, but also if one player has the spade honour, four hearts, and four diamonds.

After 1NT-3NT, I like the idea of crossing to K and running J. This works better against good opponents, because West will be more likely to believe that East has ducked A. If they're playing normal Smith, I should play 4, to make it more likely that West has started a Smith Echo.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-July-23, 09:46

I would play low at trick 1. It's a complete guess whether LHO has underled the J or the K.
If I did play the Q at trick 1, I would not try the 'running the jack of hearts' line, because RHO might play a heart honour in order to play a spade through.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users