#1 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-December-04, 11:10

The opponent held:

Q854
AQJ84

The bidding started P-P-1-P;-2-? to the opp, and there were no alerts. Many in this event would play 2 as Drury.

At this point the opp asked what is 2?

Reply was "natural, non-forcing, we play a weak two in diamonds, and then by a passed hand two diamonds is Drury, not two clubs"

Should the opp have asked what two clubs is, or should he have checked out the convention card, or just waited for the auction to continue?
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-04, 13:09

According to the appeals report in the daily bulletin, they didn't ask what 2 was.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-04, 13:53

I would assume that an unalerted 2 is a natural 2 and pass. Asking would just cause trouble, and it is the Director's job to protect me if the unalerted 2 was Drury. If the auction continues with 2 on my left, passed around to me, I would pass since, to my mind, 2 was/is still natural. If after my my pass the rho informs us that there was a missed alert, I call for the director to let him sort it out. If nothing has been said and partner leads, I still do not ask. If a dummy with spades but not clubs comes down, I now call the director. Surely I would have a good case: Lho should have alerted and rho should have announced the missed alert.

As I have often said, I don't spend my time reading the laws but this makes sense to me.
Ken

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-December-04, 19:09

The big sticking point in this issue was ACBL's directive that experienced players are expected to protect themselves if they have reason to believe that the opponents failed to alert.

But the AC recognized two things: 1) If the player asks, and it's not Drury, it practically bars his partner from leading the suit. 2) Many players don't play Drury, and holding AQJxx doesn't mean that RHO can't have a natural 2 bid.

Today my partner opened 4, and one of the opponents held AKxxx; I and the other opponent were both void.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users