BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding Contest ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Contest ATB CtC Nov 2011 #7

#21 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-February-22, 07:48

A x .............. J 10
A 9 x x ........ Q J x x
A x x x x ...... K x
Q x .............. A K x x x

The slam isnt that awful even on a S lead. Youre ok if south has Kxx,Kx, and some case of Kxxx/KTxx. If they dont bid S the chance H break goes up.

In a M fit I think there is no reason in 2012 not to play frivolous 3nt/serious cuebid especially in A/E forum. But before those times, my point of view is dont bypass a cuebid unless you hand is dead minimum (or partner is limited). Playing 1995 2/1 it would go

1D-2C
2D-2H
3H-4C
4D-4H
pass or
5H (my H are poor)--6H

I think its clear that EAST must make a cuebid in face of a unlimited partner. West has no singleton and minimum values (for 1995 :) ) so he might surely pass the 4H) knowing partner has extras only for 1 cuebid.

Note that if 4D cue is a denial (showing S asking for D) its tougher.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-22, 09:14

View Postrhm, on 2012-February-22, 05:05, said:

I never understood the concept of a frivolous Cue. Does this mean do not take me seriously? Then why give the defense information in the first place?

If you play Frivolous 3NT (or 3 for hearts) and serious cues then "frivolous" is practically synonymous with "slam-try" and a cue says you want to be in a slam whenever we hold 4-5 key cards and controls in all suits. I do not think this is giving unnecessary information to the defence. If you play Serious 3NT then a cue is simply a slam try with a control. In this case you are giving away unnecessary information if partner declines the slam try. I suspect you know all this very well though and are just using humour to make a point.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-22, 10:34

Frivolous is not frivolous. It shows willingness to cooperate with partner's slam probe, and good cards for the previous bidding context. Serious is better than that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-24, 04:32

View Postgnasher, on 2012-February-21, 03:55, said:

According to the description in the diagram, 2 denied five diamonds. It is therefore most likely to be a weak notrump, and East should bid on that assumption. East's decision to go past 4 was simply wrong.

Absolutely, but there should be some way for opener to say that he has a 12-14 balanced hand.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users