BBO Discussion Forums: double or not - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

double or not

Poll: double or not (20 member(s) have cast votes)

now...

1. pass (14 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. double! (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-20, 17:14

IMPs, we deal, we are vulnerable opponents aren't
Q972
Q1098
KJ3

pass-(1)- 1 -(double)
3-(double)-pass-(pass)
3 -(pass) -pass-( 4)
???

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-20, 19:21

I would certainly find this question interesting if it were Matchpoints.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 21:23

That was still a vul 1. I'm smashing them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 21:42

View PostFluffy, on 2012-March-20, 17:14, said:

Q972
Q1098
KJ3

pass-(1)- 1 -(double)
3-(double)-pass-(pass)
3 -(pass) -pass-( 4)
???

Gonzalo, why would someone think of doubling them with this in imps bro ?

- Are we sure that we can defeat them ? NO
- Are we protecting ourside for our game bonus or do we think we may make a game after we settled in 3? NO
- Even if we get lucky and defeat them, are we expecting to defeat them by 2 tricks good amount of time ? NO
- Even if they are going down 2 and we get +100 instead of our +140 or +300 is this a big loss ? NO
- Does the win/lose ratio justify this DBL ? NO
- In the hands where the fate of 4 depends on how declarer will play it, arent we replacing our +50 with -510 by doubling and alerting declarer ? YES

No need to mantion that letting them make a doubled partscore will definetely give other side a momentum that maybe more costly than the score of this board itself. I can tell that from my hand they are probably going down 1 or 2 but i aint doubling them.

If opponents are sane players, pd is likely to be single in and he didnt bid game, isnt this some sort of hint that he doesnt have much ? If opps are insane and bid 4 4-3 fit, even with a 4-4 fit, what do we lose ? We take 100 insteada 140, big deal, but we now know that we will win this match if we dont do stupid things like doubling this kinda partscores which may change things for us.

Maybe partner, due to vulnerability or due to side hearts didnt wanna make a weak 2 bid and didnt wanna pass either with a hand like

AJ9xxx Qxxx x xx

I dunn others but this is a legit 1 overcall to me in red.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-20, 21:44

Depends on, in your style, what the pass by partner meant last round. For us, it would be a minimum overcall AND no particular shape. She could also have bid 3S with a bit of extra offense. They don't have as many diamonds as it would normally sound, and likely opener made one of those "noise" doubles misinterpreted by his partner.

I hope my 3D was a mixed raise
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   r_prah 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-21, 02:37

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-March-20, 21:44, said:

Depends on, in your style, what the pass by partner meant last round. For us, it would be a minimum overcall AND no particular shape. She could also have bid 3S with a bit of extra offense. They don't have as many diamonds as it would normally sound, and likely opener made one of those "noise" doubles misinterpreted by his partner.

I hope my 3D was a mixed raise

I agree with the flavor of this post. In my style, 3 by partner would have been the minimum hand, and pass denies a complete dog. It looks like RHO has chosen an inopportune moment to compete, and I wield the ax.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-21, 03:31

View PostFluffy, on 2012-March-20, 17:14, said:

Q972
Q1098
KJ3

pass-(1)- 1 -(double)
3-(double)-pass-(pass)
3 -(pass) -pass-( 4)
???

Posted Image DONT DOUBLE !!

Since you asked this question and it is not MP, i am predicting it to go down 2 or 3. Thats apprx what u would get if u were making 3
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 04:57

I agree with others who say it depends on what pass of the double meant. If pass is at least a mild game try
which it would be for me, then I would double. If pass was a minimum hand I would let them have it undoubled.

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 05:56

View PostMrAce, on 2012-March-20, 21:42, said:

AJ9xxx Qxxx x xx

I dunn others but this is a legit 1 overcall to me in red.

Looks more like a 2 bid to me, but even if it's a 1 bid for you, surely it's not a legit Pass over 3x?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 06:25

I don't understand the urge to double. I may well have only one trump trick, and perhaps one other defensive trick pending location of AQ. Furthermore partner is yet to speak over 4 and I have already shown roughly these values. True I have a decent trump holding that partner doesn't know about, but IMO this only brings my defense potential up to average for my bid. Lastly I remember what SJ Simon said, double gives away one trick.

Easy pass for me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 06:26

oops ninja self quote, lol
-gwnn

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 08:39

Partner can still pull with the extremely rare distributional hand severely lacking in defence. If they don't have at least that it's a pass first balance later hand in my partnertship style.

One of those is 5-5 in the blacks that we can't show over 1 and he is allowed to pull but won't go for a boatload opposite my clubs.

If it's a long imp match and an early hand I'm not about to tell them I can be pushed around.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:25

View Postgordontd, on 2012-March-21, 05:56, said:

Looks more like a 2 bid to me, but even if it's a 1 bid for you, surely it's not a legit Pass over 3x?

Some people dont preempt with side 4 card major.

It has nothing to do with what pd should have done, could have done, must have done over 3 doubled. Idk what his pass meant in this topic. He passed 3 thats what matters to me.

It is a matter of what level is your opponents. Good ones usually dont bid this 4 to give you 300 or 500. Because all u were trying to get was +140. It is not like u shd never double good opps, but i wld be more careful if they voluntarily bid 4. I dont expect spades to divide 2-2 when they bid 4 even if they are playing 4-3 fit. If they are doing something stupid and if they are down 2, yes i miss that extra 200 points and settle with 100.

I can easily see how things can go wrong when;

Pd has

AKxxx
Kxxx
x
xxx

Opener has

xxx
xx
AKJx
AQTx

Responder has

x
AQJxx
xxxx
xxx

And i can also see how DBL can be very good if pd has stiff J or something and/or they are suicidal and bid that with 2-2 s. But if thats the case arent we going to win the match anyway ?

Perhaps i am too cautious/sissy and a wimp :P

#14 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 11:44

Fluffy, do you have an agreement about whether the pass over 3-X showed a minimum or extras?

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-21, 14:50

I am just now noticing that this was stated up front as IMP scoring, red on white. Gosh how on earth can double be right? We aren't protecting a game, and we have to set them two to show any worthwhile profit - which the double itself may prevent. On top of which, we may already have won the board if 3 was going down.

But if they make 4? Egads. The IMP odds seem like 2:1 against even assuming down two, and excluding redouble when someone is void spades.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something ...
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-21, 15:08

I would rip it at MP, but at IMPs, I'm scurred.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-21, 17:08

View Postwyman, on 2012-March-21, 15:08, said:

I would rip it at MP, but at IMPs, I'm scurred.

Oh at MP i would rip it too, no doubt about it.

And i am sure those who voted for pass like me and you also knows this is very likely to go down in 4, we just say "screw it" at imps.

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-March-22, 15:19

I suspect partner passed 3 because he wasn't fully sure of the meaning of it, and had it been mini splinter he didn't want to discourage me on bidding game. On our meta agreements advancing the call we are forced to play is weak.

#19 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-22, 21:37

I voted double based on agreements I have, his pass of the X shows a mild interest (3S weak, XX strong pen orientated and 3H shape game try) my bid of 3s shows the lower end of my range and since he's not a minimum overcall I want to collect!

If not a regularly partnership with these agreements I would pass.

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-March-24, 05:25

I passed and put 3 down, partner had AKJ10x xxxxx K xx

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users