BBO Discussion Forums: Gib needs to tone down the pulling of 3nt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib needs to tone down the pulling of 3nt

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-23, 23:56

Gib does this a lot. I think a lot of the success with playing with gib is figuring out how to bid in such a way that gib doesn't do things like this. Hence people opening this craptastic 14hcp 1nt. The description states he has 6, he has 5. I have even seen him pull 3nt with a flatter hand, really need to tone this down.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-24, 01:56

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-April-23, 23:56, said:

Gib does this a lot. I think a lot of the success with playing with gib is figuring out how to bid in such a way that gib doesn't do things like this. Hence people opening this craptastic 14hcp 1nt. The description states he has 6, he has 5. I have even seen him pull 3nt with a flatter hand, really need to tone this down.

Its not a craptastic 1NT- its a throughly upgradeable hand- its a bit much upgrading it to 15 (but not an enormous stretch) but its at least worth 14- given playing with a GIB open 1NT at least it hopefully get to transfer you to 2H and even if it forces to the silly 4H then at least you are playing it and it makes comfortably.

#3 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 03:42

View Postcloa513, on 2012-April-24, 01:56, said:

Its not a craptastic 1NT- its a throughly upgradeable hand- its a bit much upgrading it to 15 (but not an enormous stretch) but its at least worth 14- given playing with a GIB open 1NT at least it hopefully get to transfer you to 2H and even if it forces to the silly 4H then at least you are playing it and it makes comfortably.

Gawd, it is a craptastic 1nt, you wouldn't do this opposite a human playing 15-17 nt. The entire problem is that you are so used to doing this with GIB that you don't see it as a problem anymore.

You do this not because it is good bridge, you do this because it avoids putting the gib in a position where it makes mistakes. This is a problem that can be fixed. The gib isn't some static entity for which the only solution is to slavishly adapt too, it can be improved and we shouldn't blind ourselves to its problems just because many have learned to deal with it.

The goal should be good bridge, not good Gib dealing with.

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 05:46

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-April-24, 03:42, said:

Gawd, it is a craptastic 1nt, you wouldn't do this opposite a human playing 15-17 nt. The entire problem is that you are so used to doing this with GIB that you don't see it as a problem anymore.

You do this not because it is good bridge, you do this because it avoids putting the gib in a position where it makes mistakes. This is a problem that can be fixed. The gib isn't some static entity for which the only solution is to slavishly adapt too, it can be improved and we shouldn't blind ourselves to its problems just because many have learned to deal with it.

Its a good hand with those finesses incl aces and a good clubs suit- some might value it as reasonable 1NT. Just give partner 5 poor low hearts and AKx or even Axx(x) clubs and you can already make 1 or 2 NT.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 10:35

A reasonably large # of humans would open 1nt based on 14 HCP and 1 point for the decent 5 cd suit. I think counting a full point is a bit much, but I wouldn't call it "craptastic". It's very much a style issue; when people say 15-17, some really mean "14.5-17". I wouldn't argue with any partner who opened this 1nt playing 15-17, even though I personally don't.

But whether or not one opens 1nt is to me irrelevant. Take away south's CJ and you have GIB doing the same questionable bidding. Probably the adjustment here should be to the meaning of the 3nt bid, so that North doesn't simulate and pull thinking 4h/5c are likely better. The 3nt says 3 hearts are still possible; it shouldn't be on this sequence. Is restricting to 2 hearts enough to keep it from pulling? Maybe it also needs to have some minimum diamond holding.

The 3c bid is also fairly questionable. Is it clear that this is forcing, rather than just competitive in clubs? I think it should bid 3d here.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-April-24, 11:17

I have some news for folks playing with robots. The South hand is a CLEAR 1NT opening.

I wouldn't do this playing with a human, but playing with robots you should open 1NT on any excuse.

#7 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 13:20

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-April-24, 03:42, said:

Kudos to your comment :rolleyes:

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-24, 20:14

South looks like a 1NT opening to me, playing with a human or a robot.

#9 User is offline   levier17 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-26, 03:31

I think the discussion here shouldn't be if it is a 1NT bid or not. It should be that GIB pulls the 3NT bids a lot and it shouldn't.

#10 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 01:48

Yes, you could have a slightly different hand people would not tell you to open 1NT, and GIB would do the same thing if you bid it this way, so saying to open 1NT does not solve the problem. The problem seems to be that GIB pulls from 3NT with a singleton and a 7-card fit almost every time it possibly can it seems, definitely too often anyway. It underrates how good the 3NT contract is. With a 7-card fit 3NT is almost always easier than 4 in that suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users