Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web version crashes Crashes in Chrome but not in IE

#1 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-19, 21:12

I have just replaced my Windows XP laptop (old and crippled - like its owner) with shiny new Windows 7 desktop. The older computer had problems with both the Windows client version of BBO (it would freeze after a random amount of online time) and the web version (shockwave flash crashes). Now, the web version appears to be working properly when launched from IE but crashes quite quickly under Google Chrome. I much prefer Chrome over IE but for now I must use IE for bridge - bummer. (No browser or version of BBO client has managed to make me into an expert - but fixing that can wait for a while :rolleyes: )
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-20, 11:51

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Flash?

#3 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-27, 15:21

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-20, 11:51, said:

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Flash?

I reported this exact same problem separately. Note that BillHiggin described IE in Windows 7 as working for BBO.

So it is not really a Flash installation problem per se. If it were, then Google Chrome would work as well as IE. Flash support apparently is somehow "built-in" to browsers. If you have a Windows 7 installation, you might just try confirming what we have reported for yourself. This problem has persisted since late November 2011. Updating Chrome to the latest and greatest does not solve the problem. This is a real pain, because Chrome is far and away faster for almost anything on the web, especially if it has a significant amount of javascript in it.

Chrome and BBO work fine AFAIK on XP, and Mac, but not on Windows 7.

#4 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-10, 09:19

Here is a suggestion that may get Chrome Browser working for BBO.

I tried it on my friend's Windows 7 laptop this morning and it worked.

Clear the browser cache - just cache - no need to clear anything else. Not sure why, but perhaps there are some .swf file downloads that have been updated, but that you are not getting from the server.

I got this idea when the announced "Teaching Board Options" failed to work yesterday and a fix was posted on BBO to clear it up.

#5 User is offline   RR3MUS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-05, 16:54

BBO crashes frequently in Chrome on my XP PC. BBO support have been very helpful with volumes of advice though the problem persists. I have been with BBO for 7 years and I can only think of only one change which could be responsible I recently downloaded 'CHROME'.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-05, 19:24

What version of Chrome? If it's failing with Chrome 19, try Chrome 20 beta.

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-06, 02:15

Like many I have found Flash a constant problem on Chrome, not just for BBO but other flash sites too. The fix that most people adopt is to disable the built-in Flash provided in Chrome and use the 'external' one (this is described here). In my experience this improves life considerably.

One explanation I've heard, that sounds very plausible, is that Chrome gets confused with the two Flashs installed especially when two different sites use them.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users