Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lead against slam

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-11, 20:49

Matchpoints. Unknown opponents in a sectional (you would know most of the top players, though), the auction has been slightly out of tempo with pauses, though none so long as to warrant calling the cops, since there has been some jumping around.

Partner started the day as a solid citizen preempting wise, but has gotten much looser as the game has gone on. This is your first time playing together.

What is your lead against 6?
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 03:57

If pd's 2 denies a side 4 card major, especially , then our opponents have a huge second fit and in fact they maybe playing in wrong slam. I expect overcaller to have something like 6-4 in the majors, if he has 6-3 then south has 6 spade and didnt open weak 2 (probably because he has side 4 card ? ) North is the one who bid slam vs a passed pd, he definetely had 1st round control (due to lack of A)

Leading A with the hope that pd may ruff on 2nd round is reduced by a lot imo. I am not leading A, I would probably lead and hope to get 2 club tricks eventually. But again, leads are worst part of my bridge :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-August-12, 04:44

Hard to imagine ever not leading ace sixth of an unbid suit against a slam with nothing else tbh. This would certainly not be the time.

#4 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 11:20

A seems like a standout to me.

If dummy comes down with KQXX and declarer ruffs, or if it's the only lead that allows the slam to make, c'est-la-bridge.
foobar on BBO

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-August-15, 23:57

Just out of curiosity, what happened in original hand, Chris ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-17, 14:24

diamond lead sets it, ace of clubs lead lets it through (dummy's Qxx of clubs opposite declarer's KT providing a useful pitch to get rid of declarer's spade loser when spades turned out to be Axxxx QJxx Kxx T around the table). I led the club ace.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-20, 10:43

if partner doesnt have a 4cM on the side, he basically has to be 3361. If he does have a 4cM a singleton club is even more likely. Also, then my club ace ont run away. It just doesnt seem close to lead anything else.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-August-22, 03:10

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-August-20, 10:43, said:

if partner doesnt have a 4cM on the side, he basically has to be 3361. If he does have a 4cM a singleton club is even more likely. Also, then my club ace ont run away. It just doesnt seem close to lead anything else.

So you basically listened to this auction and decided one of them overcalled with 5 and other one supported his pd with only 3 card at 5 level, vulnerable, and then the other one lifted to slam with only 5 trumps with a magic hand that was not good enough to start DBL ? Is Opening 2 common with a side 4 card major especially spades in your area ?

I am not against positive thinking but your pd will not have 3 cards sir :)

Tell me you are shooting to cash AK clubs by leading A and i would not have any objection, but you won't find your pd ruffing it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users