BBO Discussion Forums: Romney vs. Obama - BBO Discussion Forums

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Romney vs. Obama Can Nate Silver be correct?

#961 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:26

I'm interested in how the republicans react to the election because I think it would be good for the country to have a sensible republican alternative on the national level. Saw this from Iowan Steve Deace: GOP needs to embrace the base

Republicans could not overcome a Democrat base energized to vote for Obama. As a result, Republicans saw their majority in the Iowa House diminished, and they failed to capture a majority in the Iowa Senate that was thought to be a sure thing just 48 hours ago.

On Election Day I watched at least six hours of coverage on MSNBC to find out what the other side of the aisle thinks. Never once were the pro-Obama analysts wringing their hands about independents or swing voters like the Karl Roves of the GOP say are required for victory. Exit polls showed Romney won independents in crucial battleground states like Ohio and Virginia that he ended up losing anyway.

Instead, the other side was focused on the principles that led them to support Obama in the 2008 primary and then turning out the base — which Obama did. Remember all those "skewed" mainstream media polls we conservatives were told were frauds by Rove and his acolytes? Remember how we were told there was no way Obama could do again what he did in 2008, and the Obama coalition was falling apart? It turns out the mainstream polls were all true and Nate Silver at The New York Times knows what he is doing.

Obama won by re-energizing his base. The CNN exit polls showed registered Democrats turned out in greater numbers than registered Republicans in battlegrounds Ohio and Florida.

Deace seems to assume that there is a large enough base of far right voters to contest a national election. I hope more sensible heads prevail.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#962 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:28

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-07, 08:59, said:

i do believe a candidate can get a lot of support by understanding and articulating a plan that caps spending in some way, maybe as a % of gdp, on *all* programs, while selling to the people a plan to use technology more and people less in the military... this is actually happening now, and the idea should be preempted by conservatives as their own

... however, for those non-criminal immigrants already in our country, none will be rounded up and sent home... all who wish to stay and become american citizens will have the right and opportunity to do so, either thru existing citizenship avenues or military service"

If technology were the be-all, end-all answer to the cost of our military, we could disband all services except the Air Force, and just let them drop bombs on anybody we don't like. That said, it may be that there are technologies available now that could be used to "streamline" the military and reduce the defense budget, but it's not nearly as simple as "technology will fix it, we don't need the troops".

Military service is an existing citizenship avenue.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#963 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:43

found this interesting..

Romney got the same % of the white vote as BUSH the first. Bush the first got 400 elec. votes..in 1988...romney lost easily...

426-111 votes.

If Romney just got the paltry Hispanic vote that McCain got, around 35%....

If nothing else I hope Republicans learn to be more than the party of anti abortion and cut the deficit and white males.

#964 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:50

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-07, 14:07, said:

To me this is unbelievably arrogant.

I think so too, embarrassingly so. Every candidate does it, but it would be nice if once elected to a second term, Obama could cut back on the rhetoric.

The "God bless America" part is also annoying to me. But again, every candidate does it.

#965 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:51

Until this thread started I had never heard of Nate Silver. As far as I know, Florida has not yet been officially called. but just out of curiosity, has Morning Joe had any second thoughts? I also had never heard of Morning Joe until recently.
Ken

#966 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 16:56

View Postkenberg, on 2012-November-07, 16:51, said:

Until this thread started I had never heard of Nate Silver. As far as I know, Florida has not yet been officially called. but just out of curiosity, has Morning Joe had any second thoughts? I also had never heard of Morning Joe until recently.

They are still counting absentee ballots in Miami-Dade. Results might be ready tonight.

Latest count: O -- 4,143,534 R -- 4,096,439
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#967 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:12

Some preelection predictions.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2081639.html
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#968 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:25

Did anyone do the maths on what % chance did Nate Silver give himself of getting all 50 states right? (i.e. if I say event A has a 70% chance and B has a 60% chance of happening, then I will get both "right" 42% of the time). If all 50 states were predicted by him with 95% confidence, that is still only 7.7% of happening. So 50/50 seems very lucky (or his model was underestimating his confidence intervals).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#969 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:28

View Postgwnn, on 2012-November-07, 17:25, said:

Did anyone do the maths on what % chance did Nate Silver give himself of getting all 50 states right? (i.e. if I say event A has a 70% chance and B has a 60% chance of happening, then I will get both "right" 42% of the time). If all 50 states were predicted by him with 95% confidence, that is still only 7.7% of happening. So 50/50 seems very lucky (or his model was underestimating his confidence intervals).

What were the odds that Silver was going to get Texas wrong?

In reality, there were only six or so states in play.
Silver did a phenomenal job. The actual result is probably his mode result which is very impressive.
However, this 50 out of 50 thing is over stated.
Alderaan delenda est

#970 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:30

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-07, 16:56, said:

They are still counting absentee ballots in Miami-Dade. Results might be ready tonight.

Latest count: O -- 4,143,534 R -- 4,096,439

Has the hanging chad vote come in yet? I think hanging chads usually go Democratic.
Ken

#971 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:38

332 was 20%, 303 was 16%. Obviously that assumes that the results in state A and the results in state B aren't completely independent.

#972 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:41

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-07, 17:28, said:

In reality, there were only six or so states in play.
Silver did a phenomenal job. The actual result is probably his mode result which is very impressive.
However, this 50 out of 50 thing is over stated.

That reminds me. The guy who runs UnskewedPolls.com reduced his prediction from 311 EV for Romney on Thursday to 275 EV by election day. Then he argued today that his results weren't that much worse than Nate's: "I only missed four states -- Colorado, Ohio, Virginia, and Florida."
:D

#973 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 17:59

View Postkenberg, on 2012-November-07, 14:46, said:

It seemed to me an enthusiastic speech, but I really do not think I would be offended if I were from another country. I can't say for sure, of course, but I doubt it.

Before I say anything, let me acknowledge that it was an excellent speech and that I was not offended by it. I saw the whole speech and I found it impressive rather than offensive. Please keep that in mind when you read my answer to your question:

View Postkenberg, on 2012-November-07, 14:46, said:

I guess I am a little surprised this sounds offensive. Do other leaders, after they have won election as president or prime minister, say something like "Gee, thanks. Of course you can't expect much from me, and my country is really second rate, but I do thank you"?

Well yes, that is typically what leaders in Northern European countries do. They will say things like: "This is a fantastic night for our party." or "We are going to make this a better place.". But you will never, ever hear anything like "Switzerland is the greatest nation on Earth.". And "We will show the world." is absolutely out of the question. It is just not something we would do. In fact, if any politician would say something like that, he would be laughed at and drop 10% in the polls. People are simply to aware that "We could show the world, but why would the world be interested enough to look?".

The general emotion that lives in Northern Europe is not "We are the greatest nation". It is more like: "We live. We happen to live in Sweden, which is nice. If we would live in Germany that would probably be nice too.". Nationalism and pride only exist in sports. Outside sports the whole idea of "We are the best" (whoever "we" might be: the country, the company that we work for, our family) simply does not exist.

In America this "We are America and America is the best" is continuously reinforced. The extreme (from a European point of view) American nationalism is not exclusive for American leaders. You see it everywhere in American culture. You practically can't organize a spelling bee without the American flag standing on the stage and the Star Spangled Banner being played. In Europe, you might hear the national anthems on the national holidays and before sports matches between two countries the anthems of both teams will be played. Most people don't know the lyrics of their national anthems. (I studied in the USA and you bet that I know the lyrics of the American anthem... and I will not forget them.)

In the USA, everybody is continuously aware that they live in America, the greatest nation on Earth. (Whether this is actually true or not is irrelevant. The awareness is continuously there.) You can see the examples everywhere. After 9/11, "Take me out to the ball game" in the seventh inning stretch is replaced by "God bless America". Northern European cultures don't even have songs like that, let alone that they play them in the middle of a fun family event. Nobody will think in terms of "God bless Belgium". (If someone would say those words, Belgians would instinctively wonder "Why would He?".) This kind of nationalism doesn't exist here. Only in France, you might hear people say "Vive la France". In other European countries, that is simply not done.

American school kids pledge allegiance to the flag. In Europe that would be perceived as creepy. The idea would make people feel sick. In America it is normal. I can go on and on with examples of American nationalism that do not exist in Northern Europe.

Obama's speech was fine. It was meant for Americans and it should appeal to Americans. It did. But in Europe a speech like that would not work at all. It appeals to a sense of nationalism that we don't have and that we are uncomfortable with. This is something that Americans should keep in mind when they go outside their country (or speak to the world, rather than the USA). The American pride can be very offensive. Americans are unaware of that and that doesn't help them to achieve their goals.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#974 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-07, 18:11

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-07, 17:41, said:

That reminds me. The guy who runs UnskewedPolls.com reduced his prediction from 311 EV for Romney on Thursday to 275 EV by election day. Then he argued today that his results weren't that much worse than Nate's: "I only missed four states -- Colorado, Ohio, Virginia, and Florida."
:D

I saw an interview with him today where he basically said "My methods were really flawed and I made a big mistake trusting Rasmussen"

Not often that you seem people admitting that...
Alderaan delenda est

#975 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-07, 18:19

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-07, 17:59, said:

In America this "We are America and America is the best" is continuously reinforced. The extreme (from a European point of view) American nationalism is not exclusive for American leaders. You see it everywhere in American culture. You practically can't organize a spelling bee without the American flag standing on the stage and the Star Spangled Banner being played. In Europe, you might hear the national anthems on the national holidays and before sports matches between two countries the anthems of both teams will be played. Most people don't know the lyrics of their national anthems. (I studied in the USA and you bet that I know the lyrics of the American anthem... and I will not forget them.)

I know the words to the Deutschlandlied... You don't hear the early stanza's too much any more, but it starts like this:

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält.
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt!

And don't think for a moment that folk's aren't think of these lyrics when the current German national anthem is sung... (The CDU tried to get the first stanza re-incorporated as recently as the 1980s)
Alderaan delenda est

#976 User is offline   mike777 

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-07, 17:59, said:

Before I say anything, let me acknowledge that it was an excellent speech and that I was not offended by it. I saw the whole speech and I found it impressive rather than offensive. Please keep that in mind when you read my answer to your question:

Well yes, that is typically what leaders in Northern European countries do. They will say things like: "This is a fantastic night for our party." or "We are going to make this a better place.". But you will never, ever hear anything like "Switzerland is the greatest nation on Earth.". And "We will show the world." is absolutely out of the question. It is just not something we would do. In fact, if any politician would say something like that, he would be laughed at and drop 10% in the polls. People are simply to aware that "We could show the world, but why would the world be interested enough to look?".

The general emotion that lives in Northern Europe is not "We are the greatest nation". It is more like: "We live. We happen to live in Sweden, which is nice. If we would live in Germany that would probably be nice too.". Nationalism and pride only exist in sports. Outside sports the whole idea of "We are the best" (whoever "we" might be: the country, the company that we work for, our family) simply does not exist.

In the USA, everybody is continuously aware that they live in America, the greatest nation on Earth. (Whether this is actually true or not is irrelevant. The awareness is continuously there.) You can see the examples everywhere. After 9/11, "Take me out to the ball game" in the seventh inning stretch is replaced by "God bless America". Northern European cultures don't even have songs like that, let alone that they play them in the middle of a fun family event. Nobody will think in terms of "God bless Belgium". (If someone would say those words, Belgians would instinctively wonder "Why would He?".) This kind of nationalism doesn't exist here. Only in France, you might hear people say "Vive la France". In other European countries, that is simply not done.

American school kids pledge allegiance to the flag. In Europe that would be perceived as creepy. The idea would make people feel sick. In America it is normal. I can go on and on with examples of American nationalism that do not exist in Northern Europe.

Obama's speech was fine. It was meant for Americans and it should appeal to Americans. It did. But in Europe a speech like that would not work at all. It appeals to a sense of nationalism that we don't have and that we are uncomfortable with. This is something that Americans should keep in mind when they go outside their country (or speak to the world, rather than the USA). The American pride can be very offensive. Americans are unaware of that and that doesn't help them to achieve their goals.

Rik

interesting post thanks for putting it up.

Yes, there appears to be a huge difference between your European view and being American.

fwiw I strongly disagree with your last sentence but then that is the whole point of your post.
--

But in Europe a speech like that would not work at all. It appeals to a sense of nationalism that we don't have and that we are uncomfortable with. This is something that Americans should keep in mind when they go outside their country (or speak to the world, rather than the USA). The American pride can be very offensive.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

----

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth

#977 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

He gave this outcome (assuming FL goes to O) a 20% chance. So he hit the 1/5.

I don't know what odds he gave the correlations in the senate races.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#978 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-07, 19:30

For the first time in my life, I find myself supporting Herman Cain

(The yahoo is calling for a third party)
Alderaan delenda est

#979 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 21:22

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-07, 14:07, said:

This is scary stuff for the rest of us:

"And together with your help and God’s grace we will continue our journey forward and remind the world just why it is that we live in the greatest nation on Earth."

To me this is unbelievably arrogant.

I'm pretty sure he meant this as aspirational, i.e. the future actions, choices and achievements of the US will demonstrate that they are the greatest nation on Earth. Not literally reminding people as in just saying "hey, don't forget we're the greatest and you're not".

#980 User is online   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-07, 21:25

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-07, 18:11, said:

I saw an interview with him today where he basically said "My methods were really flawed and I made a big mistake trusting Rasmussen"

Not often that you seem people admitting that...

Yeah, I found a writeup on that. Something like this is what I was remembering:

“You can make all the models you want, but they’re not going to tell you what voters are going to do.”

“The bottom line is that even though it did make the difference, I was only wrong on maybe three to four states, depending which way Florida goes,” he adds. “That’s still a pretty good batting average.”

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

48 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 48 guests, 0 anonymous users