BBO Discussion Forums: To report or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To report or not?

Poll: To report or not? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

To report or not?

1. Report it (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. Laugh it off (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   bestguru 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-December-03, 10:02

The other day I sat down at a table in the main lounge. On our first hand and first card played, my p left the table and then was mildly abusive from the lobby. I'm thick skinned and I found it rather funny so I did not report the incident. I am starting if I did a disservice to the bbo community by not reporting.

what do you think?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-December-03, 10:21

Just email a report to abuse@ you know wherer (bridgebase dot com. You can still do it right now, if you want. Your complaint will be logged.. enough of these, and action will be taken...even one or two and a warnng issued.

ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-03, 16:34

Hi,

I think it is important that you report this. Whilst you are thick skinned, other users are not. I suspect there are many report "petty" offenders who regularly are insulting to partners, leave in the middle of a hand, type rude comments and these people are bad for BBO and make BBO unpleasant for the majority of casual users. BBO and the Yellows have the power and ability to deal with the irritants, but only users bring the problem to Admin's attention.
If people reported these "minor" foibles more thoroughly, Yellows can quickly determine who was just having a bad day, and who are the scourge of BBO who must reform of be banned.

Dean

#4 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-December-03, 17:43

Hi bestguru,

I think eventually its up to you. I suggest you don't report it, however.

Reason being if you find it mild and enough a bit amusing, give the writer the benefit of doubt, maybe he meant it that way. Mild infringements generally get a reminder to read bbo rules, maybe a warning. If you didn't like playing with him, I encourage passive aggression (of a sort)--blackmark him (make enemy) or make some sort of comments by his name to remind yourself of what he did.

If you do want to email abuse, please take screenshots of the rude words. If you need help in taking screenshots, email support@bridgebase.com or abuse@bridgebase.com .

Hoping we can eventually start logging table hoppers and board leavers and impose auto-bans like the auto-tourney bans.

Hope this helps.

Rain
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2004-December-04, 08:36

What do you do in this situation?

An opponent makes a bid, you ask what it means, and they:

1) wont tell you, just ignoring your question, even if you reask it several times

or

2) reply in a smart alecky way "What do you think it means"

3) reply in a smart alecky way "None of your business" or "I dont have to tell you"
(after you patiently explain that the laws of Bridge prohibit secret agreements)

LHO bid 1NT, RHO bid 2 (Stayman), and LHO replied 2NT.

I asked what the 2NT bid meant, and was not given a straight answer.

This same LHO was dodging my questions on other bids as well, and I found it very annoying as it greatly slowed down the game. I finally left after they would not explain the 2NT response.

I occasionally run into a pick up pard who also behaves in childish ways. Example: A pard made a terrible play, after I played my last card I asked them "P, I bid twice, how come you didn't lead them?". I had made no other comments, no other criticisms, nothing even mildly angry or offensive.
Their response was to just sit there and not play their last card. As if I had insulted their mother!! They just sat there, not playing their card, held the game hostage, and since I was not the host I couldnt boot them, so I left.

#6 User is offline   ack_hh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:carrots, bees, and PCs :)

Posted 2004-December-04, 12:24

ArcLight, on Dec 4 2004, 03:36 PM, said:

1) wont tell you, just ignoring your question, even if you reask it several times

or

3) reply in a smart alecky way "None of your business" or "I dont have to tell you"
(after you patiently explain that the laws of Bridge prohibit secret agreements)

Say "last hand, thx all", finish the hand, leave the table and ask your p to follow you.
I usually open with 13 cards

#7 User is offline   bestguru 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-04, 22:22

Thanks for your replies.

Inquiry: Unfortunately, I do not have a record of the incident.

DeanRover: I agree completely. Fortunately this incident ended up positive for me. I'm working through "How to Play a Bridge Hand" and double checking this hand because of the negative criticism of an "Advanced" player satisfied me that the work is paying off. I am afraid that another learning player might have reacted differently and taken a step backwards here.

Rain: Point taken. I am also grateful for all the positive criticism I have recieved and would hate to have lost out on that because of some report happy whiners. I will take your approach if for players I merely find obnoxious.

It will probably be a tough call sometimes, but I will try to make the impact on other aspiring bridge players the criteria for reporting and not my personal reaction.

#8 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-December-05, 01:14

ack_hh, on Dec 5 2004, 07:24 AM, said:

ArcLight, on Dec 4 2004, 03:36 PM, said:

or

Say "last hand, thx all", finish the hand, leave the table and ask your p to follow you.

I agree akk_hh - BUT I would also report player to abuse , and hope that the person gets banned if enough of us report players like him/her, as I an SURE that Fred and all the others responsible for this site wish EVERYONE to obey the rules of Bridge :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users