BBO Discussion Forums: Disclosing a nonstandard 1NT opening (ACBL) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disclosing a nonstandard 1NT opening (ACBL)

#1 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:19

One of the systems I play on a very occasional basis (but perhaps soon to be more frequently) has a 1NT opening that shows a balanced 11-14, denying a 4-card major or 6-card minor.

I would like to know how my opponents would like to hear about it.

I believe just announcing "11-14" is inadequate.

One reading of the ACBL policy says I should do just that anyway, since it's a natural notrump. Another interpretation is that this is nonstandard enough I should say "Alert" rather than announcing a range. Then I can say describe the bid when asked, and get a lecture about how rude it was of me not to announce it.

What I want to do is just announce "11-14 no 4CM" in the first place. Doing so is, however, clearly a technical violation of the rules.

(Yes, I posted this in general discussion, not the laws forum: I know all three approaches are going to occasionally lead to director calls and annoyed opponents. What I want to find out is which one will annoy the fewest opponents.)

#2 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:27

How is telling your opponents what your bids mean annoying or improper? (never played in the US so this is extremely confusing to me...)
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:41

Just speaking form me, I would be happy with the "11-14, no four card major" announcement. I can imagine that there might be follow-up inquiries later. For example, 2, what ever it is, does not ask for a four card major.

There are other features that could be harder to fully deal with. Sometimes in defending a hand I will reason along the lies of "Rho cannot have such and such, because s/he would have opened 1NT with that holding". The reasoning would be invalid against you because the explanation for the non-1NT opening could be possession of a four card major. But I see this as something of a general problem. We all have out own styles and so reasoning out opponent's hand based on what s/he did not do has risks. Playing at highly competitive levels I suppose this is dealt with, but you have to ask them just how.
Ken

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:43

kenberg, on 2013-January-01, 17:41, said:

Playing at highly competitive levels I suppose this is dealt with, but you have to ask them just how.

They use some fancy gizmos called "convention cards".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2013-January-01, 17:48

mgoetze, on 2013-January-01, 17:43, said:

What on earth is this witchcraft you speak of?
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:00

Without going into a huge amount of detail, you have information about your partner's 1NT opening that opponents cannot be expected to know or deduce, and announcing the range does not adequately convey that information. So you alert partner's 1NT opening. I would then describe it as "11-14, natural, denies a four card major or six card minor". If they object to your alert, or "instruct" you that you're supposed to announce, ignore that. If they persist, call the director.

I sympathize with your desire to streamline things by changing the announcement, but we get enough people doing that (incorrectly) already. Let's not add to that problem.

The number of people in the ACBL who actually look at convention cards system cards the back of the score card is very small and, I think, dwindling.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:01

I believe it's alertable:
"Most natural calls do not require Alerts. If the call promises about the expected strength and shape, no Alert is necessary. Treatments that show unusual strength or shape should be Alerted."
"In general, when the use of conventions leads to unexpected understandings about suit length by negative inference, a natural call becomes Alertable."

Alerting it is also safe:
"there is no penalty for Alerting unnecessarily"

However, for the sake of an easy life it's probably better to announce it instead, even if that's technically a breach of procedure. It's hard to imagine anyone objecting to your doing this.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:06

They'll object as soon as they find out the bid denies certain holdings, particularly if they got a bad score on the board.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:08

gnasher, on 2013-January-01, 18:01, said:

However, for the sake of an easy life it's probably better to announce it instead, even if that's technically a breach of procedure. It's hard to imagine anyone objecting to your doing this.

If I was his opponent I wouldn't say anything since I rarely do in these situations, but I'd definitely feel like he is doing the wrong thing. Alerting seems like the clearly correct answer to me. I don't see how alerting makes my life tougher than announcing (if anything isn't someone more likely to object to the incorrect procedure anyway?)
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:11

blackshoe, on 2013-January-01, 18:06, said:

They'll object as soon as they find out the bid denies certain holdings, particularly if they got a bad score on the board.

I think gnasher was suggesting that he make the non-regulation announcement, not just announce the strength.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:11

blackshoe, on 2013-January-01, 18:06, said:

I think gnasher was suggesting that he make the non-regulation announcement, not just announce the strength.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:42

barmar, on 2013-January-01, 18:11, said:

Yes, that's what I meant.

My suggestion to announce it related to an environment where one might "get a lecture about how rude it was of me not to announce it."
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:45

But if you do it against me, you'd get a (polite) reminder that you should only use the standard announcements, anything else should be alerted.

I do the same thing when people announce transfers to minors, instead of alerting them as they should. I've also run into occasional players who announce Jacoby 2NT, I point out that this is wrong as well.

#14 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2013-January-01, 20:02

I play a similar system where an opening 1NT denies a 4-cd Major:

September 2012
To: rulings@ACBL.org

I am beginning a new partnership this week and we are going to play: 1NT = 11-14 nV or 14-16 V without a 4-cd Major (unless 4M333 hand with Jxxx or less in the major). This is the old Match Point 1NT bid played by Anderson and Wei.

What are our obligations for alerting and pre-alerting?

ACBL reply:

You are required to announce the range of the NT opener. If you want, you could tell the oppoents at the beginning of each played round that 1NT denies a four card major. At the end of the auction on hands your side declares, you should offer to disclose this inference to your opponents (if your subsequent auction has not already made it clear).
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-01, 21:02

PrecisionL, on 2013-January-01, 20:02, said:

ACBL reply:

You are required to announce the range of the NT opener. If you want, you could tell the oppoents at the beginning of each played round that 1NT denies a four card major. At the end of the auction on hands your side declares, you should offer to disclose this inference to your opponents (if your subsequent auction has not already made it clear).

I have heard that answers from the ACBL are very hit-and-miss. It doesn't seem to me that this information should be given at the end of the auction unless you want a lot of MI rulings; and there seems to be no instruction on when to give the information if your side defends. If you give it at what this answer would suggest is the appropriate time (after the hand is finished) you will receive misinformation rulings on the auction and the play.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-01, 21:27

mgoetze, on 2013-January-01, 17:43, said:

Yes, I have heard of those. And I am easy on these matters. But when I am thinking through an opponent's likely holding, part way through the hand after an auction where NT was never bid, I don't think it would occur to me to pick up their convention card and see if the fact that declarer holds four hearts might be the explanation for why 1NT was not opened. If at that point I was convinced that he had a point count in the opening NT range, and had not opened 1NT, I would expect more dramatic distribution than the possession of a four card major.

I do think that this is a common problem, not just one fir this particular agreement, hence my lack of vigor in contesting this. But really it simply would never occur to me to think "Oh, he has four hearts. I had better check his cc to see if that explains the non-opening of 1NT". I would look elsewhere for the explanation.

You can count it as my error if you like.
Ken

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-01, 23:20

gnasher, on 2013-January-01, 18:42, said:

Yes, that's what I meant.

My suggestion to announce it related to an environment where one might "get a lecture about how rude it was of me not to announce it."

"Director, please!" After which I would explain to the TD that I alerted because I felt there was pertinent information that might get lost if I merely announced, and also that I did not appreciate being lectured by my opponent.
--------------------

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-01, 23:24

"rulings@" is not official, and in fact is wrong often enough to be worrisome.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-01, 23:39

Are announcing and alerting mutually exclusive? If not, why not do both?

#20 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-January-02, 01:43

barmar, on 2013-January-01, 18:45, said:

But if you do it against me, you'd get a (polite) reminder that you should only use the standard announcements, anything else should be alerted.

I do the same thing when people announce transfers to minors, instead of alerting them as they should. I've also run into occasional players who announce Jacoby 2NT, I point out that this is wrong as well.

I would really find this annoying and I do not think it is proper. As a player it is not my job to tell the opponents what they should and should not do. If there is a problem the only proper action is to call the director. As a director if a problem developed because you were telling the opponents what to do then I would and frequently I do apportion the blame primarily towards the person who tried to tell the opponents what to do.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users