• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Demonstrable Bridge Reason

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-08, 08:12

Game All; Dealer North. Matchpoints

West led the ten of spades and South won with the queen and played a club to the queen, then crossed to a diamond, West pitching the five of hearts (reverse attitude), and played a heart to the queen, West playing the two and East winning. East returned a spade, I think the seven, and South won and cashed a diamond, West throwing a club, and another diamond, West pitching a heart. Now South led the ten of diamonds, and West took perhaps a minute to pitch a spade, and on the last diamond, the nine of spades in tempo. East pitched a club and a spade. South exited with the club, placing West with K Jx - A at this stage, but West had the six of spades to cash, and declarer made exactly for 30%. 3NT+1 was about 75%.

South asked for a ruling, as he felt that West's tempo when he was down to just spades, the jack of hearts, and the ace of clubs, could have misled. West, when asked, stated he was considering discarding the jack of hearts, and the TD eventually, after consultation, ruled this was a demonstrable bridge reason. Do you agree? I have no idea whether they were playing Michaels cuebids, nor what East's carding would be. They were a first-time partnership.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-08, 09:46

View Postlamford, on 2013-April-08, 08:12, said:

I have no idea whether they were playing Michaels cuebids, nor what East's carding would be. They were a first-time partnership.

Did South have an idea whether they were playing Michaels cuebids? If East had four spades, he wouldn't have bid 3? Seems as if South stopped thinking after mistakenly believing he would get the overtrick back from the TD.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 09:55

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-08, 09:46, said:

Did South have an idea whether they were playing Michaels cuebids? If East had four spades, he wouldn't have bid 3? Seems as if South stopped thinking after mistakenly believing he would get the overtrick back from the TD.

South had no idea whether they were playing Michaels, nor would he expect West to use it with such poor suits. It was game all, not love all, and East might not bid 3S over 2S on xxxx Ax Jxx Jxxx at matchpoints. But yes, South did assume West had K9x Jx - A at the time he took a long think, which is why he did not ask any questions. Should that deny South redress?

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-08, 10:40

I would not give South anything here.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-08, 10:44

View Postlamford, on 2013-April-08, 09:55, said:

But yes, South did assume West had K9x Jx - A at the time he took a long think, which is why he did not ask any questions. Should that deny South redress?

I believe that was my point. He didn't bother to ask the Michaels question, but played him for a Michaels hand. I think that fact should be considered when deciding whether to give redress. Declarer also didn't bother to ask about carding, and perhaps Righty's count card (can't be attitude) at trick one would have been a clue.

I stand by self-inflicted. Lefty said what his "demonstrable Bridge reason" was. Even though he probably should have done his reasoning before pitching down to the heart Jack, our criterion is whether he thought he had a Bridge reason, not whether he has any Bridge reasoning ability.

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 10:57

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-08, 10:44, said:

Even though he probably should have done his reasoning before pitching down to the heart Jack, our criterion is whether he thought he had a Bridge reason, not whether he has any Bridge reasoning ability.

I think you have misunderstood. He thought a trick after he had bared the jack of hearts. When he had K96x J none A. But two strong directors consulted both thought it was a bridge reason still. Gnasher, who was consulted, thought there were grounds for appeal, but South elected not to.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-April-08, 11:24

I can't see any bridge reason for thinking at the point that he did. Non-bridge reasons include:
- Thinking about the best spades to pitch in order to simulate a 5503 shape. I think this should be accepted as legitimate, but I understand that it isn't.
- Having just played 69 boards in nine hours, with another 24 to go.

I would not give South anything here.

Perhaps not, but we can still take West's good score away from him, and I think we probably should.

Should South keep his poor score? There are three candidates for a serious error by South:
- Failure to consider the possibility of a Michaels cue-bid on a 5503 shape.
- Failure to consider the possibility of a raise by East on a 4234 shape.
- Failure to find out what East's signal meant at trick one. We're not told what East played, but if it was a count signal South should have known the spade layout.
(South's possible misplay at trick four is irrelevant, as it occurred before any infraction.)

One of these, or perhaps two or three of them in combination, might make South's play a serious error. I'm not sure.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2013-April-08, 11:26

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 11:43

View Postgnasher, on 2013-April-08, 11:24, said:

- Failure to find out what East's signal meant at trick one. We're not told what East played, but if it was a count signal South should have known the spade layout.
(South's possible misplay at trick four is irrelevant, as it occurred before any infraction.)

The only question South asked about carding obtained the answer "reverse attitude". South considered playing a second club at trick four, but West might win and play another, giving an awkward guess. I don't think any of the points you raise are remotely SEWoG. And one might not make a Michaels Cuebid on K109xx Jxxxx none Axx at game all opposite a passed partner?

And I agree that West should not keep his 3NT=, and that was an error by the TD who accepted West's statement that he was considering pitching the JH and that this was a bridge reason.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-April-08, 12:19

Lamford writes "Game All; Dealer North. Matchpoints. West led the ten of spades and South won with the queen and played a club to the queen, then crossed to a diamond, West pitching the five of hearts (reverse attitude), and played a heart to the queen, West playing the two and East winning. East returned a spade, I think the seven, and South won and cashed a diamond, West throwing a club, and another diamond, West pitching a heart. Now South led the ten of diamonds, and West took perhaps a minute to pitch a spade, and on the last diamond, the nine of spades in tempo. East pitched a club and a spade. South exited with the club, placing West with K Jx - A at this stage, but West had the six of spades to cash, and declarer made exactly for 30%. 3NT+1 was about 75%. South asked for a ruling, as he felt that West's tempo when he was down to just spades, the jack of hearts, and the ace of clubs, could have misled. West, when asked, stated he was considering discarding the jack of hearts, and the TD eventually, after consultation, ruled this was a demonstrable bridge reason. Do you agree? I have no idea whether they were playing Michaels cuebids, nor what East's carding would be. They were a first-time partnership."

IMO West may advance some nebulous "bridge reason" for his hesitation, but he could have known it was likely to fool South. South's play and interrogation of opponents may be imperfect -- but his play is well short of a SEWOG, and he did try to protect himself, so both sides should get the same score.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-08, 12:43

Again, we don't get to assume that dumb thoughts are not Bridge thoughts to the person doing the alleged thinking. We need something more than this to decide the hesitator had nothing to think about and could have known...

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 13:19

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-08, 12:43, said:

Again, we don't get to assume that dumb thoughts are not Bridge thoughts to the person doing the alleged thinking. We need something more than this to decide the hesitator had nothing to think about and could have known...

In my opinion, the baring of the jack of hearts in tempo and the long BIT - about a minute - with nothing to think about merited a PP. This was a player who had won the event on more than one occasion (I find that I was misinformed and he won it only once).

Surely, demonstrable bridge reason means that - more than dumb thoughts.

This post has been edited by lamford: 2013-April-09, 04:43

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-08, 13:43

I wonder if that is applicable when the player has already demonstrated dumb thought, regardless of whether is won something previously.

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 14:01

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-08, 13:43, said:

I wonder if that is applicable when the player has already demonstrated dumb thought, regardless of whether is won something previously.

If the thought could have been cunning, yes.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-08, 14:46

View Postlamford, on 2013-April-08, 14:01, said:

If the thought could have been cunning, yes.

It takes two things: no Bridge reason, AND could have been cunning. My point is we haven't got the first one, from which we would then go to the second. We don't get to say maybe no Bridge reason, and maybe cunning= nail em.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-April-08, 14:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-April-08, 12:43, said:

This was a very experienced player. I do not think, in any case, that L23 is supposed to be applied as narrowly as that -- ie you must determine whether the actual person, in the actual circumstances most likely "did know". I agree that it is not to be applied so broadly that we acknowledge that anyone could have known anything at any time. In this particular case, an experienced player (especially one who had bared the J quickly, could know that declarer might be deceived by the long hesitation now.

The director didn't quite understand, and thought that there was no redress unless a hesitation was done deliberately to deceive.

I disagree with gnasher about whether thinking to decide on a deceptive card should be considered a legitimate bridge reason, but I do think that both positions are reasonable.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-08, 16:05

After the first 7 tricks West was holding K963, J, A. West knew that he had to discards 2 more cards on . In trick 6 he had already pitched a in order to make South believe that he did not need to protect an honor. But what if South would not care but cash KT? On the other hand, if East had the Ten, it would be reasonable to discard the J so that his partner would know that he must keep his Ten guarded.

In my view this was really enough bridge reason to be allowed to think about it.

Karl

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-April-08, 16:38

View Postmink, on 2013-April-08, 16:05, said:

After the first 7 tricks West was holding K963, J, A. West knew that he had to discards 2 more cards on . In trick 6 he had already pitched a in order to make South believe that he did not need to protect an honor. But what if South would not care but cash KT? On the other hand, if East had the Ten, it would be reasonable to discard the J so that his partner would know that he must keep his Ten guarded.

In my view this was really enough bridge reason to be allowed to think about it.

And, after taking all the extra time, he might have realized that pitching the heart jack can only lose or break even while saving it can only gain or break even..and chose correctly to keep it.

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2013-April-08, 17:02

View Postmink, on 2013-April-08, 16:05, said:

In trick 6 he had already pitched a in order to make South believe that he did not need to protect an honor.

Indeed that was good play, reinforced by the tank a trick later.

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-April-09, 00:00

View Postlamford, on 2013-April-08, 13:19, said:

In my opinion, the baring of the jack of hearts in tempo and the long BIT - about a minute - with nothing to think about merited a PP.

For what infraction?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-April-09, 00:04

View Postlamford, on 2013-April-08, 11:43, said:

The only question South asked about carding obtained the answer "reverse attitude".

Did South ask that question specifically about the trick-one card, or was this a general question about carding? Also, did he ask what card East would play back at trick five from different spade holdings?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users