Can Dummy Call Director?

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-June-05, 21:00

View PostVampyr, on 2013-May-30, 20:35, said:

Taking back a card and replacing it with another surely calls attention to the irregularity. So dummy may call the director.

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-June-05, 07:33, said:

I don't believe it does. Rather it is committing another irregularity which has not been drawn attention to. The second irregularity was not necessarily consequent upon a prior irregularity, (the card withdrawn could have been played legally) so I don't think you can say it was an action that could be considered as drawing attention to an irregularity.

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-05, 08:53, said:

In practice, the manner in which the player takes back and replaces the card usually makes it clear why they're doing it, which calls attention to the original irregularity. The OP said he "put the card back in his hand and apologized". I think the apology calls attention to the lead out of turn.
I tend to agree with Vampyr but law-makers should be more explicit about what they mean by "calling attention to an irregularity".

#22 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 01:52

View Postnige1, on 2013-June-05, 21:00, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2013-May-30, 20:35, said:

Taking back a card and replacing it with another surely calls attention to the irregularity.

I tend to agree with Vampyr but law-makers should be more explicit about what they mean by "calling attention to an irregularity".

Taking back a card and replacing it with another is an irregularity

Making some statement to the effect that a played card was irregular draws attention to that irregularity, and then taking back the card and replacing it with another is a premature rectification of this irregularity

No, just committing an irregularity as a premature rectification of another irregularity is not drawing attention to the first irregularity.

#23 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 02:43

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-05, 08:53, said:

In practice, the manner in which the player takes back and replaces the card usually makes it clear why they're doing it, which calls attention to the original irregularity. The OP said he "put the card back in his hand and apologized". I think the apology calls attention to the lead out of turn.

Yes, the explicit verbal apology calls attention. Not the action of putting a card back into your hand. As to "the manner of doing something", well I suppose that is possible - you can talk in other ways than with your mouth, but we don't have any information on that in the present case. But in view of the restrictions on his rights, I think dummy should carefully avoid calling the director until something clear and undeniable draws attention - the apology is enough, mannerisms may be harder to justify.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 04:15

View Postpran, on 2013-June-06, 01:52, said:

Making some statement to the effect that a played card was irregular draws attention to that irregularity, and then taking back the card and replacing it with another is a premature rectification of this irregularity

No, just committing an irregularity as a premature rectification of another irregularity is not drawing attention to the first irregularity.

Agree with the first two. As for the third, I most emphatically do not agree.

Aside from that, the player also apologized for his actions, presumably as he was replacing the card. Even if you insist on your third statement, that apology drew attention to both irregularities, or the irregularity and premature rectification, take your pick.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 04:29

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-June-06, 02:43, said:

Yes, the explicit verbal apology calls attention.

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-June-06, 04:15, said:

Even if you insist on your third statement, that apology drew attention to both irregularities, or the irregularity and premature rectification, take your pick.

On this point there seems to be 100% agreement.

Edit: plus this one from pran:

Making some statement to the effect that a played card was irregular draws attention to that irregularity

(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-June-06, 05:05

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-June-06, 04:15, said:

Agree with the first two. As for the third, I most emphatically do not agree.

Aside from that, the player also apologized for his actions, presumably as he was replacing the card. Even if you insist on your third statement, that apology drew attention to both irregularities, or the irregularity and premature rectification, take your pick.

Maybe yoy were a little bit careless when reading my comment?

Something like an apology for the first play is "some statement to the effect that a played card was irregular".

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-06, 11:49

My dictionary defines "call attention to" as "cause people to notice" (it doesn't have a definition for "draw attention to", the actual phrase used in the Laws, but everyone seems to use these phrases interchangeably, so I'm going to treat them as synonymous).

Don't you think a player deliberately taking taking an unusual action, such as withdrawing his card, is surprising enough that it would cause the other players to notice the irregularity that prompted it, even without a verbal announcement? If dummy notices this, and realizes why it was done, hasn't it called attention by the above definition, so dummy is permitted to call the TD?

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-June-06, 12:46

My answers: yes and yes.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-06, 13:21

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-06, 11:49, said:

Don't you think a player deliberately taking taking an unusual action, such as withdrawing his card, is surprising enough that it would cause the other players to notice the irregularity that prompted it, even without a verbal announcement?

"Doing something unusual" and "Calling attention" are different things. Sometimes the first also accomplishes the second, but not always, and we shouldn't assume the second from the first.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#30 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-June-06, 14:28

My dictionary defines "call attention to" as "cause people to notice" (it doesn't have a definition for "draw attention to", the actual phrase used in the Laws, but everyone seems to use these phrases interchangeably, so I'm going to treat them as synonymous).

Don't you think a player deliberately taking taking an unusual action, such as withdrawing his card, is surprising enough that it would cause the other players to notice the irregularity that prompted it, even without a verbal announcement? If dummy notices this, and realizes why it was done, hasn't it called attention by the above definition, so dummy is permitted to call the TD?

Do I understand you correct that you assume a player will never try to change his play unless his first play was illegal?

#31 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-June-06, 17:10

View Postpran, on 2013-June-06, 14:28, said:

Do I understand you correct that you assume a player will never try to change his play unless his first play was illegal?

I don't think Barmar said that.

If you make an illegal play and then try to change it, that draws attention to the illegal play. There may be other occasions where you may make a legal play and then try to change it, but that doesn't affect the meaning of an illegal play followed by a correction.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#32 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-07, 01:08

Don't you think a player deliberately taking taking an unusual action, such as withdrawing his card, is surprising enough that it would cause the other players to notice the irregularity that prompted it, even without a verbal announcement?

No. It's one thing to do something that makes it likely that people will notice something else. It's another thing to explicitly bring it to their notice.

As noted before, withdrawing a played card is not contingent upon the original played card being irregular. So whilst it might draw people's attention in the direction of you and that card, it does not explicitly bring the prior irregularity - which may not even be present - to their notice.

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-07, 01:09

View Postpran, on 2013-June-06, 14:28, said:

No, I'm saying that trying to change his play will cause the other players to take notice of what led up to it. If that was an illegal play, they'll notice it, and hence the withdrawal called attention to it.

#34 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-07, 02:30

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-07, 01:09, said:

No, I'm saying that trying to change his play will cause the other players to take notice of what led up to it.

They may take notice or they may not. In an ideal world everyone at the table will be paying attention to what's going on, but that's not always the case in real life.

IMNSHO we would do best to require actual attention-calling such as saying "Hey!" or waving and pointing to constitute drawing attention to an irregularity. Otherwise we may have a long list of gestures, grimaces, and long sighs that some would say constitute calling attention.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#35 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-June-07, 02:42

Just on the grammar here, draw attention is slightly broader than call attention here since it encompases passive actions that cause attention to be brought to the irregularity, whereas call attention assumes a more active action. That makes it noteworthy that dummy may not call attention; but that they may call the Director when attention has been drawn. In this it seems that the Lawmakers are using unusually precise language.
(-: Zel :-)

#36 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-June-07, 03:04

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-June-07, 02:30, said:

They may take notice or they may not. In an ideal world everyone at the table will be paying attention to what's going on, but that's not always the case in real life.

IMNSHO we would do best to require actual attention-calling such as saying "Hey!" or waving and pointing to constitute drawing attention to an irregularity. Otherwise we may have a long list of gestures, grimaces, and long sighs that some would say constitute calling attention.

I think this makes the point precisely.

An irregularity is committed. It might be an irregularity on its own or it might be a premature attempt to rectify a previous irregularity. But until attention to the previous irregularity is explicitly drawn we have no foundation for stating that the second irregularity itself draws such attention.

If no player other that dummy noticed the first irregularity and drew attention to it dummy may certainly not draw such attention, nor may he call the director.

#37 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-June-07, 03:09

It seems to me that if a player puts a card in the played position, says "oops" or the like, picks up the card and puts it back in his hand, he has drawn attention to at least one irregularity. OTOH, he may not say anything, in which case he probably hasn't drawn attention to any irregularity. OTGH, if he tries, or appears to be trying, to change the played card surreptitiously, then he's probably in violation of 72B3. In the last two cases, I think dummy has to wait until the play is over before calling the director.
--------------------

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-June-07, 05:49

View Postpran, on 2013-June-07, 03:04, said:

But until attention to the previous irregularity is explicitly drawn we have no foundation for stating that the second irregularity itself draws such attention.

The Laws do not say that attention must be "explicitly drawn", and in fact are mute on what constitutes drawing attention.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#39 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-June-07, 06:32

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-June-07, 03:09, said:

It seems to me that if a player puts a card in the played position, says "oops" or the like, picks up the card and puts it back in his hand, he has drawn attention to at least one irregularity. OTOH, he may not say anything, in which case he probably hasn't drawn attention to any irregularity. OTGH, if he tries, or appears to be trying, to change the played card surreptitiously, then he's probably in violation of 72B3. In the last two cases, I think dummy has to wait until the play is over before calling the director.

He has drawn attention to exactly one irregularity: That he changed his mind on what card he intends to play.

There is no indication whatsoever here that the (first) card he played constituted an irregularity.

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-June-07, 08:19

View Postpran, on 2013-June-07, 06:32, said:

He has drawn attention to exactly one irregularity: That he changed his mind on what card he intends to play.

There is no indication whatsoever here that the (first) card he played constituted an irregularity.

No, but those at the table would know (eg if the second card was correcting a revoke).

In any case, one irregularity is enough.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users