BBO Discussion Forums: Conventions and playing online - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Conventions and playing online How do you know what convention your partner plays online?

#1 User is offline   ivdlinde 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-22, 01:20

I've started off learning ACOL, but playing online I don't know whether my partner understands my calls, or whether I understand hers/his. The few games I've played so far I had the impression that some players are totally confused with my calls. How to solve this?

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-22, 02:43

Hello and welcome to the forums! The first thing to do when you get a new partner is to take a look at their profile. You can do this by putting the mouse on their name and seeing the pop-up (might need a click on the other version). Most players list the convention the like to play here. Having done this, you can now agree some or all of your partner's card. If your partner does not have a filled-out profile, or there are additional conventions you would loike to use, then feel free to ask.

Now some points specific to Acol. If you sit at a random table in the Main (or Relaxed) Bridge Clubs then the chances of getting a partner who understands Acol are minimal. Unless they have Acol specifically written in their profile, expect that they have no idea about it. Similarly, be wary of Dutch players with Acol written in the profile - it usually has a different meaning for them.

The simplest way of finding a partner who understands Acol is to visit the Acol Bridge Club, which you can find under Public Bridge Clubs. There, 4 card major Acol with a weak NT is the default system and you can generally sit down and agree a 2 bid structure (typically Benji, 3 weak 2s or strong 2s) and start playing with relatively few misunderstandings.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   oberiko 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-28, 20:42

Further to Zelandakh's good advice of sticking to the Acol Club, and viewing partner's profile, I'd also recommend staying away from the fancy stuff unless it's in both yours and partners profile (which most of it won't be...).

I'd recommend reading Sandra Landy's "Standard English Acol", published by the EBU. I don't know of anyone who plays SE fully (seems more like a compromise system between older and more modern styles) but is probably about 80% accurate for how folks in that club play.

Be sure to mark other Acol players you get along with as friends! It can help you to find a partner when the main club is emptied for the night and a few Acol-ites are out there playing in the main lobby.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-29, 03:43

Standard English does not include transfers while most players in the Acol club do play transfers, although it varies in which situations they think transfers should apply. However, the Acol club is quite relaxed so opps will probably be ok with you asking partner whether transfers apply or not, when the situation comes up.

Of course if you are playing a tournament or team match you can't ask partner such questions during the auction so you will have to discuss the most important details before the tourney.

For this and other reasons I will recommend playing in the Acol club for some time until you have enough experience with only play to swimm into the deeper waters of tourneys and team matches (or main room for that matter).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users