• You cannot reply to this topic

learning fantunes

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-October-27, 13:58

After learning the 170-page book by Bill Jacobs (not) my p and I got in trouble on this board (MP, none vulnerable):

2*-2NT*
3-?

AQJxxx
Kx
xxx
Kx

Partner showed 5+ hearts and 4+ diamonds with 10-13 points (not 5422) while we showed an inv+ hand with spades so partner denied 3 cards in spades already.

3, 3 would both be non-forcing here while 4 is undiscussed but should be a COG I guess. At least this is what we would take them as, there is nothing in the 170-page book on this!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-October-27, 14:16

Looking at the notes on my page, it appears that you could try 2H-3S (forcing good 6+crd suit) to start, planning perhaps to remove 3N to 4H. Also, it is possible that in the real system 2H-2N-3m-3S is forcing (mild suit). The former has more solid evidence. You might want to transfer the book to notes, and then create your own notes to fill the holes in that version. Use my notes to guide you, though I haven't updated it in a year or so.

Thanks,
Dan

#3 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-October-27, 14:55

3 looks pretty obvious at MPs here - even though it's not forcing partner would rarely pass unless he has a real minimum with singleton spade. You can also just bid 4 and hope trumps to break well.

#4 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 16:40

gwnn, on 2013-October-27, 13:58, said:

After learning the 170-page book by Bill Jacobs (not) my p and I got in trouble on this board (MP, none vulnerable):

2*-2NT*
3-?

AQJxxx
Kx
xxx
Kx

Partner showed 5+ hearts and 4+ diamonds with 10-13 points (not 5422) while we showed an inv+ hand with spades so partner denied 3 cards in spades already.

3, 3 would both be non-forcing here while 4 is undiscussed but should be a COG I guess. At least this is what we would take them as, there is nothing in the 170-page book on this!

#5 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-27, 16:40

try here http://www.fulviofan...i-a-fulvio.html

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-October-27, 17:13

I'm not asking about the system (despite the thread title), I'm asking what you would bid with the hand assuming my description is correct.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-October-27, 19:35

gwnn, on 2013-October-27, 17:13, said:

I'm not asking about the system (despite the thread title), I'm asking what you would bid with the hand assuming my description is correct.

4H.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-October-28, 00:36

I'm not convinced you want to force to game here non vul, most of the time partner is 1543 here and if 4M is better than a 3-3 break, he will often bid game over 3 of whichever major you bid, and which major to bid is basically a guess.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 04:47

Partner should raise with a maximum and two spades and almost always with Kx in spades.
Seems to me more likely that we belong in spades rather than hearts. I also want to protect the K from the lead.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-28, 12:54

3, it's what we have is it not? Really awful that you don't have a way to force with somehow.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-28, 19:42

I try 3S. The worst case is partner has a 13 and we miss 4S on this 'scramble to our least bad' hand.

#12 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:27

Endymion77, on 2013-October-27, 14:55, said:

3 looks pretty obvious at MPs here - even though it's not forcing partner would rarely pass unless he has a real minimum with singleton spade. You can also just bid 4 and hope trumps to break well.

3 may end up working the best, but I have my doubts about it being "obvious".
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#13 User is offline   Endymion77 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NFL, NBA, poker

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:53

RSClyde, on 2013-October-29, 06:27, said:

3 may end up working the best, but I have my doubts about it being "obvious".

I prefer it to 3 because it gives opener the option to pass with a dead minimum with singleton spade, and show 2 spade cards by bidding 3 otherwise. But I don't really object to 3, the suit is reasonably good to play against singleton. I wouldn't really consider any other option at MPs, we've already invited and without a known fit we don't have enough to force game.

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-October-29, 06:58

I just realised after making this thread that the only case where partner can have 2 spades is 2641 as he promised already a shortness and denied 3541. I bid 3 at the table which got passed out, unfortunately partner miscounted his points (related to the classic French/Dutch confusion about what a V means) and made 11 tricks. Maybe 4 is the best option, at least if we get high we get high in the wrong major?

Free, it seems that you think we do have an invitational hand with spades but at the same time you think we have a GF hand with spades? Could you clarify?
      George Carlin

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-October-29, 09:19

gwnn, on 2013-October-29, 06:58, said:

I just realised after making this thread that the only case where partner can have 2 spades is 2641 as he promised already a shortness and denied 3541. I bid 3 at the table which got passed out, unfortunately partner miscounted his points (related to the classic French/Dutch confusion about what a V means) and made 11 tricks. Maybe 4 is the best option, at least if we get high we get high in the wrong major?

Free, it seems that you think we do have an invitational hand with spades but at the same time you think we have a GF hand with spades? Could you clarify?

Realised this early on (2551 also ?), I think 3 is right because if partner is 1642, hearts will often play better than spades, and partner can bid 3 with a 2551

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-October-29, 09:27

Oh yes, 2551 of course. #mathfail
      George Carlin

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-29, 15:06

gwnn, on 2013-October-29, 06:58, said:

On this hand I don't think we have a GF so it's not really relevant to the discussion (partner will raise with any kind of support anyway), but I found it worth mentioning since you'll encounter hands where you have real slam interest. It's a shame for any system not to be able to force with . And I know the original system played by Fantunes does have that option (starting with 2-2NT if I remember correctly, and using 2-2 as a relay), which makes it even worse. What is 2-2 for you?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-October-29, 16:14

We play 2H-2S as an inv+ relay and 2NT as inv+ with spades (as in the Jacobs book). It could well be that 3S is better as forcing but it's not obv to me. I have a feeling that these 2-level openings are never really going to have proper scientific basis so we might as well play it old style with lots of limit bids and punts.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-11, 07:09

What does 2 - 2; AB - 3 mean? (where AB is presumably some call showing diamonds or strength range.) And partner can also have 2650 and 2740 (possibly also 2560) for shapes with 2 spades unless my counting ability is completely broken. Although perhaps 2740 would not show the diamonds...
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-12, 05:58

Zelandakh, on 2013-November-11, 07:09, said:

What does 2 - 2; AB - 3 mean? (where AB is presumably some call showing diamonds or strength range.) And partner can also have 2650 and 2740 (possibly also 2560) for shapes with 2 spades unless my counting ability is completely broken. Although perhaps 2740 would not show the diamonds...

3 shows 4 diamonds and 3 shows 5 diamonds (2NT shows 6 hearts, 3 shows 4+ clubs). 3 over any rebid is GF with spades. There should be a difference between the two of course, I suppose it's possible to play 2NT as strictly invitational with spades? But still it makes no sense to play 2NT as NF with 6 spades so why not put some GF hands in there as well.

With 74 we'd definitely show 6+ hearts as well as with most 6-4's I think. But 2650 is also true :) Awful maths. I can kind of blame Bill Jacobs for this as in the system files you can only describe the following shapes: 5431, 6322, 55xx. With other hands you kind of improvise. Not complaining of course, you started out on the 2-level already, it's already quite an achievement to describe all that.
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users