BBO Discussion Forums: what has BBO done to the hands ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what has BBO done to the hands ? the deals have been altered, bring back NORMAL DEALS

#1 User is offline   Kortenhoef 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-December-18, 21:23

lately the deals have been altered on BBO .....I am not the only one to notice these awfull unusual deals which are designed to be unmakable or goulash or total misfit. Too many of these deals going on to be co-incidental..
BBO please reset Deals to Normal deals...NO TWEEKING

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-December-18, 21:47

there is an interesting theory about tweaking--the more "interesting" the hands the more entertaining. The problem is one

of ethics. Tweaking the hands is a form of cheating. The vast majority of players have systems designed to handle the

normal/seminormal hands. The more "exotic" hands thrown into the mix the odds of their succeeding go down in favor

of those playing more exotic systems at the expense of some normal/seminormal hands. Let us just hope that whomever

creates the "random" hand generators reads this and does not tinker with truly random results:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-December-18, 21:47

View PostKortenhoef, on 2013-December-18, 21:23, said:

lately the deals have been altered on BBO .....I am not the only one to notice these awfull unusual deals which are designed to be unmakable or goulash or total misfit. Too many of these deals going on to be co-incidental..

I would be astounded if this were happening. I did read, way back when computer randomized hands were 'new' that many players were 'sure' that the computer removed some boring hands and made up more freaks, but the explanation was far more mundane. Hand shuffling rarely adequately randomizes the deck, so once we start getting random hands, they end up appearing to be skewed.

Perhaps more to the point: what the heck is in it for the BBO programmers to skew the deals? What do they gain from it to justify the efforts?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 21:53

View PostKortenhoef, on 2013-December-18, 21:23, said:

Wow, you are unlucky. You need to change seats. Every time I opened a suit lately, partner always has at least 5 card support. I can't remember the last time I had a losing finesse or a bad break in a side suit. You might consider sending the BBO programmers a very nice Christmas present so you can get on the "lucky" list. :rolleyes:

#5 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 09:17

We try to use random hands.

There are some exceptions

1. In "best hand" tournaments, south is known to have no fewer HCP than the other players
2. In some contexts the player is allowed to cook his own hands ( example: partnership bidding, teaching tables )
3. Tournament directors are allowed to define and use their own hands

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 10:16

This brings memories of the old poker forums where noobs were always complaining of having their aces cracked by 52o due to the faulty dealing program.

Five star thread! B-)

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2013-December-19, 10:33

View Postuday, on 2013-December-19, 09:17, said:

We try to use random hands.

There are some exceptions

1. In "best hand" tournaments, south is known to have no fewer HCP than the other players
2. In some contexts the player is allowed to cook his own hands ( example: partnership bidding, teaching tables )
3. Tournament directors are allowed to define and use their own hands

I hope that your not telling me that some tourneys on BBO don't use random hands?

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-19, 10:35

View Postneilkaz, on 2013-December-19, 10:33, said:

I hope that your not telling me that some tourneys on BBO don't use random hands?

Yes that's what he is telling you. You can see in the tournament description if they use goulash hands. If nothing is indicated they will use random hands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2013-December-19, 19:02

Right. I've seen some TDs use a set of non-goulash "interesting" pre-dealt hands but usually pre-dealt tourney hands tend to be goulashes, for some reason...

#10 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-20, 03:47

I was complaining just the other day how I'm getting dealt a lot of 4333 hands lately.

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-December-20, 10:59

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-20, 03:47, said:

I was complaining just the other day how I'm getting dealt a lot of 4333 hands lately.

You should play with or against Kortenhoef. There is a good chance at least one of you will have your complaints about the hands resolved.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-20, 13:28

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-20, 03:47, said:

Yesterday my partner and I got about five 4441 hands in seven deals. We were practicing strong-club bidding, and our devices for those hands sure got a workout.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users