A2

ATxx
AT9x
Kx
KQ9

P p 2h* 2N
P 3N p p
X AP

2H =8-11, 5-6hearts and no voids or stiffs. Spoiler - if you opt to win the club in hand RHO will play the J.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-30, 00:18

The lead was a club I take it then?

It seems I can make this if the 2H explanation is correct just by going after spades. I don't expect diamonds to break 3-3, so after I win the opening lead I will duck a spade. Unless I can get the full spots in the spade and diamond suit, that'll have to do for now.

#3 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-30, 01:46

View Postmr1303, on 2013-December-30, 00:18, said:

The lead was a club I take it then?

It seems I can make this if the 2H explanation is correct just by going after spades. I don't expect diamonds to break 3-3, so after I win the opening lead I will duck a spade. Unless I can get the full spots in the spade and diamond suit, that'll have to do for now.

If you are going to duck a spade, it makes sense to win the first club on the board, just in case righty's no singletons has an exception for a stiff K or Q of spades 3rd seat. But even if you get a spade, that makes for 2 spades, 1 heart, 2 diamonds and 3 clubs - 8 tricks, not 9.

Phil, I really want the spot lead in clubs before making my plan, it will help me decide on the possible shapes around the table.
Chris Gibson

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-December-30, 04:51

Lead was the c5 sorry.
Hi y'all!

#5 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2013-December-30, 10:42

ok. Lefty has presumably 5 or 6 clubs - probably 5 - and I'm guessing honors in every suit - it looks and feels like he's taking a shot. I'm picturing a hand like KJ(x) Qx QTx(x) Txxxx, leaving righty with Qx(x) KJxxx Jx(x) Jxx, possibly - or something along those lines. I don't like the 2H bid with that shape, personally, but he's 3rd seat so maybe. Anyway, I'd ask if they generally make that bid with 5-3-3-2 shape, but I'm inclined to play for 3-3 diamonds, personally, even though that's not the answer when posted on the forums. Win the club in hand, K of diamonds then duck a diamond is my intitial play. I might revise if I think that opponents will show count by rote on the diamond K.
Chris Gibson

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-December-30, 12:14

View PostCSGibson, on 2013-December-30, 10:42, said:

ok. Lefty has presumably 5 or 6 clubs - probably 5 - and I'm guessing honors in every suit - it looks and feels like he's taking a shot. I'm picturing a hand like KJ(x) Qx QTx(x) Txxxx, leaving righty with Qx(x) KJxxx Jx(x) Jxx, possibly - or something along those lines. I don't like the 2H bid with that shape, personally, but he's 3rd seat so maybe. Anyway, I'd ask if they generally make that bid with 5-3-3-2 shape, but I'm inclined to play for 3-3 diamonds, personally, even though that's not the answer when posted on the forums. Win the club in hand, K of diamonds then duck a diamond is my intitial play. I might revise if I think that opponents will show count by rote on the diamond K.

This mirrored my thinking but I'm not sures it's correct in retrospect.

LHO had KQx K J9xx Txxxx. RHO had Jx QJxxxx QT Jxx. If LHO is sane then the double should warn of bad breaks and 4-2 diamonds / 6-1 hearts seems more likely than 33+52. After trying diamonds I couldn't take more than 7 tricks.

If you draw this inference the hand plays itself - set up the spade for 8 and RHO has to give you the HT at T13 after you cash your minor tops.

At the time I thought 33 diamonds was a lot better than 36 % since RHO shouldn't have a singleton.

Maybe there's a better line that combines chance.
Hi y'all!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users