BBO Discussion Forums: Another disaster - what went wrong - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another disaster - what went wrong

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-December-31, 17:51

This was a total disaster here, losing 16 as I recall. I was South, who opened a precision diamond. I thought partner's 4C cue bid was a slam try agreeing diamonds, so decided to cue my ace of hearts. Partner thought I had hearts, so bid a grand in hearts. This went 5 off, as it appears most of our bidding disasters go 5 off.

Who was most to blame?

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2013-December-31, 18:41

Would start with 3 not 4. 3 is GF, is where the North hand is, and allows for finding a 4-4 fit if there's one to be found. After
1-(3)-3-(5)
5*-(P)-6-(P)
6-(P)-6-(P)
South is placed to make the 7-level decision.

*Since no fit shown, forcing pass is not available.

Both North and South could have bid better. 5 in lieu of 5 would allow South to make the 7-level decision. 5N looks like pick a slam. The one bid I can't understand is 7. I suppose North never heard "What do you call a 7-card suit headed by the AKQ? - TRUMPS!!!"
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-January-01, 09:56

The problem seems to be that you haven't discussed what 4C means. What would 3S have meant over 3C?

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-01, 11:40

The 4 bid promises diamonds in my neck of the woods and 3 would have been forcing. I may be wrong but thought that would be a default agreement without discussion.

I have no idea what 5nt was meant as but might have bid 7 over it and suggest that north should make a natural call before the 6 level (or 7 level if I do that).
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-January-02, 10:40

If this is an ATB, then 500% to North as I don't like any of his bids. LOL at holding 7 running and never bidding them and then pulling 6 to 7 on a presumed (he was wrong) 4-4 fit when he doesn't even know how good his PD's are. I don't like any of North's calls this hand to put it mildly.

#6 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 11:10

A sane auction would be

1-(3)-3-(5)
5-p-6-p
6-p-6-p
6/7-p-p-p

As others pointed out North had absolutely no idea what he was doing. How can you think 6 is void showing. I mean whats the point of showing a void when you have already forced the bidding to a grand slam? Besides bidding a grand is inconsistent with the inability to bid 6 at the last turn. You can hope partner holds -- AKxxxx AKxxxxx -- bun in this case he has misbid 5 times already.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users