BBO Discussion Forums: BridgeIQ+ virus issue - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BridgeIQ+ virus issue

#1 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-January-01, 21:31

Just now, BBO showed me an ad for the software application BridgeIQ+ (at BridgeIQPlus.com). So I downloaded and tried to install it (on Windows XP). I got about halfway through installing it when my antivirus software, AVG, reported that it's infected and removed it.

The BridgeIQPlus.com site doesn't have any way to contact the purveyor, so I'm posting here in case someone at BBO (who sold them the ad) would be able to contact them and get the problem fixed before it hurts somebody.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-01, 22:49

View Postjdgalt, on 2014-January-01, 21:31, said:

Just now, BBO showed me an ad for the software application BridgeIQ+ (at BridgeIQPlus.com). So I downloaded and tried to install it (on Windows XP). I got about halfway through installing it when my antivirus software, AVG, reported that it's infected and removed it.

The BridgeIQPlus.com site doesn't have any way to contact the purveyor, so I'm posting here in case someone at BBO (who sold them the ad) would be able to contact them and get the problem fixed before it hurts somebody.

Thanks, we'll let the advertiser know. This must be some tech glitch, the software is legit and the programmer who created it, Kevin Wilson, is trustworthy.

I just tested with Windows 7 and everything went smoothly, no warnings or errors.

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 07:19

It's a small world. I knew Kevin Wilson when he was10 or so, swimming in Alice Yoke's pool. His parents, Marge and Bill, were bridge friends and Alice was a part owner of the Laurel Bridge Club. He was a good kid then and I expect he is a good guy now.

Ads and downloads are getting scarier, at least for me. I can remember when the dangerous ads had bad grammar and stupid claims about helping someone get his fortune out of Nigeria, They are getting more sophisticated, and I am getting more wary.

Added: This note is an example. I looked at it after posting and some of the words were highlighted, and linked to some ad,, and not by me. I don't much like someone else highlighting words in a message I post. Fortunately, clicking "Edit" and then "Save Changes" gets rid of it. Please don't eliminate this option to get de-highlight my words. At least as I view the posts with Firefox, both "application" and "install" are highlighted in the post above mine. One links to a degree mill, the other to camping supplies. It is my plan to never patronize an organization that links their ads to my posts through words that I, not they, have written.
Ken

#4 User is offline   Grypho 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-02, 09:59

I am Kevin Wilson and I'm investigating why your anti-virus program would reject BridgeIQ+. I believe that it was rejected as an "uncommon program". Not that many users in the world have tried to install BridgeIQ+. I went to AVG and have asked them to test the program and remove it from this status so that it will load properly. I understand the need for safety and I will make sure that AVG allows my program through their firewall as soon as I can. Thank you for reporting here so I am even aware there was an issue.

Long time no see Ken. I'm 44 now so that was some ago. I have very fond memories of Alice's pool. Thanks for the kind words.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-02, 10:29

View Postkenberg, on 2014-January-02, 07:19, said:

Added: This note is an example. I looked at it after posting and some of the words were highlighted, and linked to some ad,, and not by me. I don't much like someone else highlighting words in a message I post. Fortunately, clicking "Edit" and then "Save Changes" gets rid of it. Please don't eliminate this option to get de-highlight my words. At least as I view the posts with Firefox, both "application" and "install" are highlighted in the post above mine. One links to a degree mill, the other to camping supplies. It is my plan to never patronize an organization that links their ads to my posts through words that I, not they, have written.

AFAIK, that linking isn't done by our forum software. Sounds like you're infected with some adware -- check your Firefox add-ons.

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:18

View Postbarmar, on 2014-January-02, 10:29, said:

AFAIK, that linking isn't done by our forum software. Sounds like you're infected with some adware -- check your Firefox add-ons.

I will, thanks. I seem to get pop-ups from radio stations as well. I have no idea how this came about but I am glad to hear it isn't BBO.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:28

Yeah, it's well known adware. This might be relevant: http://botcrawl.com/...e-text-enhance/

#8 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:41

While you're at it, life is so, so, so much better with adblock plus.

Just disable it for all bridgebase sites!
OK
bed

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-January-02, 15:14

Thanks, guys. I started with Spybot since I had it on my computer already. I forgot I should log on as administrator to have complete control but it got rid of several things. These ads are getting very resourceful. Mostly I have had little trouble but some years ago I had an amusing, well sort of amusing, glitch. I was using Google to find the home page of a French mathematician, first name Francois. I found the correct last name, first name Francoise.. She was definitely not a mathematician and somehow her page would pop back up about ten minutes after I closed it. I had to get help from the IT guys to fix this. A bit embarrassing.

I will se if anything gets linked as I post this.

Link free. So far, so good.
Ken

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 21:55

View Postkenberg, on 2014-January-02, 15:14, said:

These ads are getting very resourceful.
You don't even want to know where real computer viruses are at, these days.

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-January-03, 06:59

View PostAntrax, on 2014-January-02, 21:55, said:

You don't even want to know where real computer viruses are at, these days.

Absolutely. For me, the scariest part of this NSF stuff is that if they can do it, so can others. Maybe NSA can do it better, but there must be plenty of folks who can do it well enough to cause a lot of havoc.
Ken

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-03, 19:32

My favorite memory regarding the NSA is the statement of a Navy LT who worked there. I ran into him at a computer security conference back in the 1980's. He said "If we had our way, there wouldn't be any users!"
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users