Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO for Android

#1 User is offline   wodahs 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-21, 11:11

Was updated Jan 20, 2014. The older version was terrific on my Google Nexus 10 HD tablet (2560x1600), and just a teeny bit hard to read on my 4.5" HD phone.

The new version is a little easier to read on my phone so hurrrahhh! However on the tablet, the graphics have deteriorated somewhat. On the playing screen the lettering is stretched horizontally (pictures of cards OFF) and doesn't seem as crystal clear as on the older version.

Also I preferred the larger chat area on the older version. My vote would be to keep the older version for the tablet, and use the newer version for the phone.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-January-21, 12:35

View Postwodahs, on 2014-January-21, 11:11, said:

Was updated Jan 20, 2014. The older version was terrific on my Google Nexus 10 HD tablet (2560x1600), and just a teeny bit hard to read on my 4.5" HD phone.

The new version is a little easier to read on my phone so hurrrahhh! However on the tablet, the graphics have deteriorated somewhat. On the playing screen the lettering is stretched horizontally (pictures of cards OFF) and doesn't seem as crystal clear as on the older version.

Also I preferred the larger chat area on the older version. My vote would be to keep the older version for the tablet, and use the newer version for the phone.

Hi wodahs,

Thank you for the feedback. Can you please send a screenshot with the stretched cards to fred at bridgebase dot com ? We didn't notice any unusual stretching during tests, and we can't replicate this problem at the moment, but we did get another email signalling the same issue after the release. A screenshot would help our developer figure out what's wrong and fix it. Thanks :)

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-21, 13:15

Yes this is going to take some getting used to, particularly the treatment of the chat area, and perhaps I have yet to understand the features, and when I do I will like it better. I also get the stretched cards, but that does not really bother me. I will screenshot it over to support by email.

It seems that you can now stretch the chat area, but it does not shrink the playing area. When you stretch it it overlays over the top of the playing area and obscures it. Not convinced that I like that. I would like to be able to decide how much of the screen I wish to devote to playing area, with the remainder to chat (apart from the options buttons of course).

On a Samsung Note 10.1, Android
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 13:24

Tap once in the chat area to revert it to its default location.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-21, 13:58

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-January-21, 13:24, said:

Tap once in the chat area to revert it to its default location.

Yup that helps, thanks.

I can see what y'all have done, which is to heavily concentrate your efforts on catering to devices with small screens.
And if that makes it actually a viable playable app on a mobile phone then more power to you. Probably right choice.
But there is a growing population of players who from preference use devices that run on iOS or Android and that have screens that are nearly as big as laptops. I am going to put myself down for the new Samsung 12 inch ProNote which was headlined in the recent expo. I expect I will get used to this "in yer face" hand presentation on these devices. Time will tell.

Very minor pet peeve: I see that I still have to use the task manager in the operating system to kill the app when I log out. There is plenty of room on the final screen to give an "exit app" option. Have made the point before. Low priority, but has to be an easy fix.

Thanks for providing invisible login option.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-January-21, 15:56

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-January-21, 13:58, said:

Very minor pet peeve: I see that I still have to use the task manager in the operating system to kill the app when I log out. There is plenty of room on the final screen to give an "exit app" option. Have made the point before. Low priority, but has to be an easy fix.

Ah, this could be hardware specific. On my Samsung Fame phone, exiting does kill the app, but on my Samsung Note 10.1 it does not. Probably slightly different versions of Android also. Doubt that there is anything to be done about it.

#7 User is offline   gabivh 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-21, 16:11

BBO has changed the layout of the Android App 3.70. Screen changed completly, no possibility to change to smaller card symbols, enlarging chatscreen will hide part of the game going on on the screen. I consider it a bad move.
More of the same feelings?

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-21, 17:43

View Postgabivh, on 2014-January-21, 16:11, said:

BBO has changed the layout of the Android App 3.70. Screen changed completly, no possibility to change to smaller card symbols, enlarging chatscreen will hide part of the game going on on the screen. I consider it a bad move.
More of the same feelings?

Hi Gabi,

New Android version is being discussed here:
http://www.bridgebas...bo-for-android/

For the chat, tap once in the chat area to revert to default size and location.

#9 User is offline   henkj 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-22, 01:24

It is nice to see BBO is trying to support people with small screens on phones.
However... as some said already, it is a pity that this new Android version is also the version for tablets with much bigger screens. Now the Board diagram occupies almost entire screen. Chat box now is very small. Oh yes, you can tap on it, but than it covers the board diagram. Especially watching interesting games with lot of useful chat, all this tapping to adjust the chat area for a while is really awful. Moreover, all other details like the buttons for board results etc. in the right upper corner also take more room from the chat area. And so unneeded. There was so much room in the corners of the Board diagram used in the earlier version. I really dislike the changes made, particularly being forced to use this new version also on my tablet. I really would appreciate that BBO will give back us the possibility of the older version to be used on tablets. And moreover rethink about using the empty useless spaces on the Board diagram for the other buttons, the board result etc.
Thanks in advance from a devoted BBO member Henkj

#10 User is offline   hummingway 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-25, 12:46

I haven't seen any one else mention this but on my tablet "Play Anonymously" does not connect. All the rest of the functionality seems there. I can watch anonymously and I can log in but I can't play anonymously. Android 4.2.1 on an Asus tablet.

The "Connecting to BBO. Please Wait..." just spins until I hit the Cancel button.

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-25, 22:10

hummingway, could you be having this issue? http://www.bridgebas...reconnect-hang/

#12 User is offline   hummingway 

• Pip

Posted 2014-January-26, 12:49

View PostAntrax, on 2014-January-25, 22:10, said:

hummingway, could you be having this issue? http://www.bridgebas...reconnect-hang/

Thanks Antrax. That does appear to be it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users