Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Point a Board Scoring unplayed board

#1 User is offline   NeilDT 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-February-01, 03:42

At our club last evening a Point-a-Board competition was played with 9 teams playing 8 x 3 board matches. One table did not play the third board of the round, what would need to be entered for this result in order to achieve a score for the board?

Thanks

Neil

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-01, 06:31

NeilDT, on 2014-February-01, 03:42, said:

At our club last evening a Point-a-Board competition was played with 9 teams playing 8 x 3 board matches. One table did not play the third board of the round, what would need to be entered for this result in order to achieve a score for the board?

Thanks

Neil

It does rather depend on what regulations you have (if any) for this sort of eventuality. We've just had our first major Point-a-Board competition in the EBU, and our regulations for it are in the final two pages of the programme. I think the ACBL do something similar, but they don't allow final scores of fractional points, so they have (I think) a regulation that 0.8 to 1.2 is a draw, and lesser/greater scores are losses/wins.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-01, 06:36

Here are the ACBL regulations. I was not exactly right in my earlier email - 0.8 is a loss & 1.2 is a win, with in-between scores being awarded a draw.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-03, 11:42

I bet this isn't ACBL, because in the ACBL, it isn't Point-a-Board, it's Board-a-Match.

But if it is, I like the way it scores: matchpoint the other table against the room (only time we do that!) and then add 40% to that matchpoint score (assuming both sides were at fault for not being able to play it). Then, 40%|80%|120% we go, independently for each side.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 03:32

mycroft, on 2014-February-03, 11:42, said:

I bet this isn't ACBL, because in the ACBL, it isn't Point-a-Board, it's Board-a-Match.

The link I gave to the ACBL regs talks of Board-a-Match (and scores 1, 0.5, 0) and the link I gave to the EBU regs talks of Point-a-Board (and scores 2, 1, 0). I bet you're right that the original post didn't come from the ACBL, but I thought someone might be interested in the ACBL regs too.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 08:06

gordontd, on 2014-February-04, 03:32, said:

The link I gave to the ACBL regs talks of Board-a-Match (and scores 1, 0.5, 0) and the link I gave to the EBU regs talks of Point-a-Board (and scores 2, 1, 0).

Anyone else find it curious that board-a-match scoring awards one point per board, while point-a-board scoring actually awards two points per board?

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 08:25

WellSpyder, on 2014-February-04, 08:06, said:

Anyone else find it curious that board-a-match scoring awards one point per board, while point-a-board scoring actually awards two points per board?

It's the well known difference between the USA and Europe (the rest of the world?). When you play MP pairs in Europe, you will get 2 MPs for each pair you beat and 1 MP for each pair you tie. When you play MP pairs in the USA, you will get 1 MP for each pair you beat and 1/2 MP for each pair you tie.

Different strokes. In the end, it doesn't matter. (We could also divide all the bridge scores by 10 and drop the last 0. This would lead to 62 points for making a vulnerable 4.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-04, 11:15

I think WellSpyder was just remarking on how the points awarded in England specifically do NOT match the name they use for the event. It should be called "2 Points-a-Board".

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 11:43

barmar, on 2014-February-04, 11:15, said:

I think WellSpyder was just remarking on how the points awarded in England specifically do NOT match the name they use for the event. It should be called "2 Points-a-Board".

Exactly. I do realise that it doesn't matter at all, and that it corresponds to the historical different calculation of match points. I just thought it was a bit ironic that in England we happen to use a name that corresponds very well to the US system of match-pointing even though that isn't actually what we do.....

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 13:17

WellSpyder, on 2014-February-04, 11:43, said:

I just thought it was a bit ironic that in England we happen to use a name that corresponds very well to the US system of match-pointing even though that isn't actually what we do.....

Whereas in America they use a name that doesn't correspond to anything that anyone does.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-04, 13:19

barmar, on 2014-February-04, 11:15, said:

I think I was sleeping when I read Wellspyder's post.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-04, 15:12

gnasher, on 2014-February-04, 13:17, said:

Whereas in America they use a name that doesn't correspond to anything that anyone does.

But it makes a nice acronym: BAM!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users