BBO Discussion Forums: Lebensohl alert - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lebensohl alert

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-February-11, 09:26

View PostCSGibson, on 2014-February-11, 01:53, said:

Its hard to tell sometimes when you don't use the quote. And, of course, what the hell is a kit (rhetorical, I don't care, but obviously not a term that's universal).

Kit - From kitbag, or kit bag, is what soldiers called their bags that held, well, everything they needed to carry around with them. Often used with Kaboodle or Caboodle ("the whole kit and kaboodle"), which also referred to a collection of items or friends, and may be derived from inheritance or estate. Kaboodle was often shortened to boodle, and in that form it may be interchangeable with bootie, as in illegally obtained funds.

That may not be what Ed is referring to, but I like it. :)

#22 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 10:10

On a related topic, should I alert an opening bid of 1? I play it as natural and non-forcing with at least a five-card suit. However, it can lead to many conventional situations.

Perhaps a description such as "natural, but may lead to Kaplan inversion, Jacoby, two-over-one relay auction or some coded splinter situations." Perhaps through laziness, I have been letting it slide and I am feeling a bit guilty.

#23 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 10:44

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-February-11, 10:10, said:

Perhaps through laziness, I have been letting it slide and I am feeling a bit guilty.

Do you really need to alert this? Doesn't the EBU accept the divine right of kings?

#24 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-February-11, 10:46

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-February-11, 10:10, said:

On a related topic, should I alert an opening bid of 1? I play it as natural and non-forcing with at least a five-card suit. However, it can lead to many conventional situations.

Perhaps a description such as "natural, but may lead to Kaplan inversion, Jacoby, two-over-one relay auction or some coded splinter situations." Perhaps through laziness, I have been letting it slide and I am feeling a bit guilty.

Perhaps it would be safest to alert all your bids. And maybe the passes too.

#25 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 11:09

but at least in some ZOs, not the doubles or redoubles, and they are by regulation "self-Alerting". You'll get in trouble if you do that.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 12:21

View Postmycroft, on 2014-February-11, 11:09, said:

but at least in some ZOs, not the doubles or redoubles, and they are by regulation "self-Alerting". You'll get in trouble if you do that.

We also get in trouble if we assume Phil was serious.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-February-11, 14:17

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-11, 12:21, said:

We also get in trouble if we read Phil's posts. They should come with a warning label. :)

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-11, 15:19

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-11, 14:17, said:

We also get in trouble if we read Phil's posts. They should come with a warning label. :)

Maybe they should be alerted.

#29 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-11, 16:17

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-11, 09:26, said:

Kit - From kitbag, or kit bag, is what soldiers called their bags that held, well, everything they needed to carry around with them. Often used with Kaboodle or Caboodle ("the whole kit and kaboodle"), which also referred to a collection of items or friends, and may be derived from inheritance or estate. Kaboodle was often shortened to boodle, and in that form it may be interchangeable with bootie, as in illegally obtained funds.

That may not be what Ed is referring to, but I like it. :)

Just pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile :) :) :)

Kit could also refer to that guy who wrote Partnership Defense. I think it won an award or two.

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-February-11, 12:21, said:

View PostArtK78, on 2014-February-11, 14:17, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2014-February-11, 15:19, said:

Maybe they should be alerted.

The right half of my brain says it's only an announcement, like over 1NT openings in the ACBL. The left half of my brain says it's not only Alertable, but is actually a pre-Alert at the start of every round.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-12, 06:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-February-08, 20:05, said:

As I understand it, if you have no "kit", then your suit response to partner's double of a weak 2 is natural, probably five or more cards in the suit, and anything from 0 HCP up to just below whatever you would cue bid with. IOW a natural and (nearly) unlimited bid. As near as I can tell, given that the ACBL alert regulations don't directly address this auction at all, such bids do not require an alert. An assumption here is that you would pass the double only with a hand that wants to convert it to penalty. I think (I could be wrong) that if you would also pass on some hands because you are "not strong enough to bid", that still requires no alert.

I think you misunderstand. If you are playing Lebensohl, a 3-level response to partner's takeout double promises values. I cannot imagine this not requiring an alert.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 08:12

View PostVampyr, on 2014-February-12, 06:51, said:

I think you misunderstand. If you are playing Lebensohl, a 3-level response to partner's takeout double promises values. I cannot imagine this requiring an alert.

Maybe I have misunderstood something now, but does this say what you meant to say? I have always alerted a 3-level response to partner's take-out double precisely because it promises values whereas it would not do so if I weren't playing Lebensohl. It therefore shows something that would be unexpected by an oppo who didn't know I was playing Lebensohl. Isn't that a good reason for an alert?

#32 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-February-12, 08:33

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-February-12, 08:12, said:

Maybe I have misunderstood something now, but does this say what you meant to say? I have always alerted a 3-level response to partner's take-out double precisely because it promises values whereas it would not do so if I weren't playing Lebensohl. It therefore shows something that would be unexpected by an oppo who didn't know I was playing Lebensohl. Isn't that a good reason for an alert?

LOL there was a "not" missing in my post. I have gone back and fixed it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-February-12, 10:41

View PostVampyr, on 2014-February-12, 06:51, said:

I think you misunderstand. If you are playing Lebensohl, a 3-level response to partner's takeout double promises values. I cannot imagine this not requiring an alert.

But blackshoe said "if you have no kit", meaning that you're not playing Lebensohl. He meant "kit" to refer to a convention or gadget that allows you to be more specific than traditional responses to takeout doubles.

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-12, 12:28

'Kit" is British slang for, I think, "tools" or some such. Stefanie (Vampyr) used it, so I replied in kind. Sorry if it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was what I was doing. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   kevperk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-13, 13:09

View PostCSGibson, on 2014-February-11, 01:53, said:

Its hard to tell sometimes when you don't use the quote. And, of course, what the hell is a kit (rhetorical, I don't care, but obviously not a term that's universal).

I think it is similar to gadget, tool, convention.

#36 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-February-13, 14:25

I thought a kit was a collection of tools, conventions, gadgets....similar to the rhetorical "bag". So, if we have no kit, Lebensohl is just one of the things we don't have available for the occasion.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users