• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Judaism 101

#41 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-19, 18:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-April-19, 10:03, said:

I had him on ignore, but without me doing anything I now see his posts again, how do I actually make the ignore permanent ?

I've not had any problem with the ignore function. I would check to see if he's still on ignore in my settings, and if he is report the bug to BBO. If he's not, ignore him again. If that doesn't take, again report it as a bug. Or send a PM to Ben (Inquiry).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-19, 20:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-April-19, 18:51, said:

I've not had any problem with the ignore function. I would check to see if he's still on ignore in my settings, and if he is report the bug to BBO. If he's not, ignore him again. If that doesn't take, again report it as a bug. Or send a PM to Ben (Inquiry).

If it's a bug, don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. We can't report it to IPS, since we're running an old, unsupported version.

Hopefully one of these days we'll upgrade to a recent version, but until then things are pretty much stuck the way they are.

#43 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-April-20, 00:50

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-17, 21:57, said:

Judaism is an old-school religion.

Judaism is the oldest known religion, the one claiming that your God is the one who created the universe and everything in it. Some of the religions that sprung up after it adopted many of your teachings after giving them a new flavour.

I challenge you to come and post a link here to every religion older than, or which preceded Judaism, which also makes that claim. Hrothgar made an attempt but failed.

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-18, 06:11, said:

The "Jewish Bible" is the Old Testament - the five books of Moses - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (to use the common English names rather than the Hebrew names). There are additional books - Prophets (Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and The 12 Prophets) and Writings (Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra and Nehemiah, and Chronicles).

Your own scriptures, the "Jewish Bible" or Old Covenant, contains plenty of examples where you guys, the Jewish nation, turned your back on your own God to worship the gods of the pagan nations around you, even going so far as to sacrifice your own sons and daughters to Molech. Yet to your credit, your scribes, the guys tasked to ensure not only the preservation thereof, but also the accuracy of your scriptures, never incorporated any of these pagan beliefs into your own scriptures.

You guys, the Jewish nation, were chosen by Yahweh to lead all the goyim to the one and only true God. A handful of Messianic Jews have finally stepped up to the plate. What about the rest of you (including you)? Have you guys finally and forever turned your back on your own religion, your own scriptures, and your own God?

#44 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 01:33

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 00:50, said:

Judaism is the oldest known religion
That's patently false. Without having to know anything about history, when you read the bible it explicitly mentions other, false, religions. Thus, those other religions must've predated Judaism.

#45 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 02:29

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-20, 01:33, said:

That's patently false. Without having to know anything about history, when you read the bible it explicitly mentions other, false, religions. Thus, those other religions must've predated Judaism.

You conveniently only read the part of my post which suited you. This is what I said. I have now underlined the part I am challenging you to respond to.

Judaism is the oldest known religion, the one claiming that your God is the one who created the universe and everything in it. Some of the religions that sprung up after it adopted many of your teachings after giving them a new flavour.

I challenge you to come and post a link here to every religion older than, or which preceded Judaism, which also makes that claim. Hrothgar made an attempt but failed.

Let me repeat the question for more clarity. Come and post a link here to every religion older than Judaism which claims that it is their God who created the universe and everything in it.

#46 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 02:34

View Postmikeh, on 2014-April-19, 08:50, said:

Hey...look what happens when one feeds the troll! Fortunately, I don't read the troll's stuff, because I have him on ignore, but I get segments of what he wrote because some of his feeders quote him. He is quite clearly deranged, so anyone hoping to see him change his mind when his errors are pointed out is wasting his or her time, folks.

The challenge I made to Art and Antrax I extend to you as well. Here is a shortened version of it.

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 02:29, said:

Come and post a link here to every religion older than Judaism which claims that it is their God who created the universe and everything in it.

#47 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-April-20, 02:40

On this day the holist of holy days.

Yes today is the holist of all Christian days....funny but many don't know that

This Sunday is the big day for Christians.

What makes Christ?

At the very least he is risen...today.

#48 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-April-20, 05:12

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-19, 20:38, said:

If it's a bug, don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. We can't report it to IPS, since we're running an old, unsupported version.

Hopefully one of these days we'll upgrade to a recent version, but until then things are pretty much stuck the way they are.

One would think that enough bug reports might induce you to upgrade. :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#49 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 07:38

http://en.wikipedia....urism#Mythology

#50 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 10:06

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-20, 07:38, said:

Your link is to the Ancient Mesopotamian religion, which refers to the religious beliefs and practices followed by the Sumerian and East Semitic Akkadian, Assyrian, Babylonian and Chaldeans living in Mesopotamia (a region encompassing modern Iraq, Kuwait, south east Turkey and north east Syria) that dominated the region for a period of 4,200 years from the fourth millennium BCE throughout Mesopotamia to approximately the 10th century CE in Assyria.

Do yourself a favour and click on all the sub-links in the article to get a fuller understanding of who all these people were. Take note of how many times reference is made to the Jews as well. Then get out your Jewish Bible and start reading the five books of Moses. Take note of how many of these people appear in those five books. Take note also that some of them are actually distant relatives of yours (via Ishmael and Esau). Take note of how, even after receiving the Torah and repeated promises to obey it, rebellion soon followed when you guys started interacting with these nations. Once you have done that come and tell me which son of Isaac, Jacob or Esau, influenced the religion of the other.

Yet this religion disappeared in the 10th century CE (after being around for 4,200 years), swallowed up by Syriac Christianity. Your link confirms my statement in this post that it is unavoidable that every other religion will eventually be swallowed up into Messianic Judaism.

#51 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 12:49

View PostVampyr, on 2014-April-17, 12:08, said:

I had really hoped that there would be no replies to this thread.

+1

I started to believe this guy (32519) knows what he is doing and I started to give him credit for what he is trying to achieve. Because he gets what he wants each and every single time. It may not be everyone's taste but he loves this.

Unfortunately BBF is hopeless when it comes to avoid jumping on bait like a sea bass each time this troll (32519) sends a line in the water. I can only imagine him laughing his @$ off on the other end of the line when sees more than a dozen on each hook.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#52 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-20, 13:48

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-20, 12:49, said:

+1

I started to believe this guy (32519) knows what he is doing and I started to give him credit for what he is trying to achieve. Because he gets what he wants each and every single time. It may not be everyone's taste but he loves this.

Unfortunately BBF is hopeless when it comes to avoid jumping on bait like a sea bass each time this troll (32519) sends a line in the water. I can only imagine him laughing his @$ off on the other end of the line when sees more than a dozen on each hook.

The forums aren't too useful for bridge discussion any more, but at least be provide a happy home for cranks of all kind...

I was always opposed to creating the Watercooler.
I'd be happy to see it go gentle into that sweet night
Alderaan delenda est

#53 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 21:28

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 10:06, said:

Your link is to the Ancient Mesopotamian religion, which refers to the religious beliefs and practices followed by the Sumerian and East Semitic Akkadian, Assyrian, Babylonian and Chaldeans living in Mesopotamia (a region encompassing modern Iraq, Kuwait, south east Turkey and north east Syria) that dominated the region for a period of 4,200 years from the fourth millennium BCE throughout Mesopotamia to approximately the 10th century CE in Assyria.

Do yourself a favour and click on all the sub-links in the article to get a fuller understanding of who all these people were. Take note of how many times reference is made to the Jews as well. Then get out your Jewish Bible and start reading the five books of Moses. Take note of how many of these people appear in those five books. Take note also that some of them are actually distant relatives of yours (via Esau). Take note of how, even after receiving the Torah and repeated promises to obey it, rebellion soon followed when you guys started interacting with these nations. Once you have done that come and tell me which son of Isaac, Jacob or Esau, influenced the religion of the other.

Yet this religion disappeared in the 10th century CE (after being around for 4,200 years), swallowed up by Syriac Christianity. Your link confirms my statement in this post that it is unavoidable that every other religion will eventually be swallowed up into Messianic Judaism.
Thanks for the synopsis. That being said, religion, pre-dates Jews, has creation myth. gg.

#54 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 23:12

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-20, 21:28, said:

Thanks for the synopsis. That being said, religion, pre-dates Jews, has creation myth. gg.

You are the first Jew I have encountered to pass your religion off as a Myth. How many of your fellow countrymen share your view?

To your credit, your scribes, the guys tasked to ensure not only the preservation thereof, but also the accuracy of your scriptures, never incorporated any of these pagan beliefs into your own scriptures.

When both Christianity and Islam turned to your God, to your beliefs, and adopted your scriptures, neither had the discipline nor the will to retain your scriptures without corrupting them (read, adding their own flavour to them). A classic example here is that both Christianity and Islam introduced a fictitious character called satan into the text. This fictitious character appears at least 18 times in the Old Testament of every English translation of the Bible, a fictitious character that does not appear at all in the Hebrew text.

The point I am trying to make is that a new religion copied and then altered, deviates from the true religion, and is therefore no longer true or accurate. The Orthodox Jewish Bible’s translation of the New Covenant reads 100% better than every English translation I have ever encountered (I have a copy, despite ArtK78’s vehement protestations to the contrary). Unfortunately this translation still contains some of the known corruptions of the New Covenant. As soon as, between the Vatican and the most revered Jewish rabbi’s, the uncorrupted books and letters enter the public domain, accompanied by an accurate translation thereof, an unprecedented revival will start sweeping across the globe. When the dust settles Messianic Judaism will be the religion everyone will be following.

#55 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 23:17

Mikeh: I am still waiting for you to post a link here to every religion older than Judaism claiming that their God created the universe and everything in it. So far we have had an attempt by the following –
1. Hrothgar
2. Cyberyeti
3. Antrax

Anyone following this thread is welcome to come and bail mikeh out. Just state whether –
a) you are bailing him out, or whether
b) it is your own attempt.

#56 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-21, 01:47

As far as I can see, you are like a carnival game that refuses to give the promised teddy bear to the participants, no matter how well they hit the target. What is worse, you are putting the winners on a "loser list," shamed periodically. Is it any wonder that people are losing interest in your business?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#57 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-21, 05:12

View Postgwnn, on 2014-April-21, 01:47, said:

As far as I can see, you are like a carnival game that refuses to give the promised teddy bear to the participants, no matter how well they hit the target. What is worse, you are putting the winners on a "loser list," shamed periodically. Is it any wonder that people are losing interest in your business?

Why would anything that 32519 does surprise you?

In a previous thread he promised to leave the forums forever.
He was back in about three days.

He's an inveterate liar, a miserable ambassador for his religion, and almost certainly mentally unbalanced.

On any decent forum, the moderators would have tossed his ass out on the sidewalk.

Sadly, ours don't seem to place much value on sparing the community this kind of unending swill.
Alderaan delenda est

#58 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-April-21, 05:35

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-April-21, 05:12, said:

Why would anything that 32519 does surprise you?

In a previous thread he promised to leave the forums forever.
He was back in about three days.

He's an inveterate liar, a miserable ambassador for his religion, and almost certainly mentally unbalanced.

On any decent forum, the moderators would have tossed his ass out on the sidewalk.

Sadly, ours don't seem to place much value on sparing the community this kind of unending swill.

Oh, for sure I was not surprised by his behaviour. For some reason it is still fun to point it out, not sure why. I definitely didn't want to reply to this thread but I joined in after 30 posts, thinking it can do no major harm.
      George Carlin

#59 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-21, 06:19

View Post32519, on 2014-April-20, 23:12, said:

The Orthodox Jewish Bible's translation of the New Covenant reads 100% better than every English translation I have ever encountered (I have a copy, despite ArtK78's vehement protestations to the contrary).

The assertion that there is an Orthodox Jewish Bible's translation of the New Covenant is the single most stupid comment I have ever seen in print.

#60 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-April-21, 09:54

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-21, 06:19, said:

The assertion that there is an Orthodox Jewish Bible's translation of the New Covenant is the single most stupid comment I have ever seen in print.

Actually there is a 2002 translation with that name:

http://www.biblegate...wish-Bible-OJB/

(the New Testament starts at Markos 1)

It's quite unreadable for me but I don't speak Yiddish...

Mark 1:8 reads

8 I give you a tevilah in a mikveh mayim, but he [Moshiach] will give you a tevilah in the Ruach Hakodesh.

George Carlin

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users