BBO Discussion Forums: Repeating 5 cards is stupid, but 3 cards is ridiculous - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Repeating 5 cards is stupid, but 3 cards is ridiculous

#1 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2014-August-11, 13:35

http://tinyurl.com/pyz4qbl

And at level three at that. Lead by a 10.

Will someone ever teach GIB NT and the benefits of right-siding a contract?

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-11, 14:13

Very valid point. I can't imagine why GIB would not bid 2NT.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 14:24

Gib don't play Western cuebid actually, here Gib can't know how to describe,so it need some bidding rules.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 14:33

Western cue bids are not relevant. Whether GIB plays them or not, when is a hand suitable for 2N, if North is not it?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-11, 19:39

One could also ask why south made the silly bid of 2S and did not bid Cs to reach a perfectly good 3NT.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-11, 19:59

View Postthe hog, on 2014-August-11, 19:39, said:

One could also ask why south made the silly bid of 2S and did not bid Cs to reach a perfectly good 3NT.

And Gib will bid NT over clubs and not 2 because?!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 20:23

Because I would expect 2NT on the actual sequence to accept the game try. North doesn't have extras, so the only bid available is 3D on the three card suit. North's bidding looks totally normal with this hand. South could have asked for a spade stopper by bidding 3S over 3D and then you would reach 3NT.

Over a forcing 2C response, 2NT doesn't show extras.

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 21:44

GIB didn't rebid a 3-card suit. You promised diamond support (4+ cards) and it made the default rebid (retreating to your fit at the lowest level) to show a minimum hand, rejecting the game try.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-11, 22:44

I didn't read a 2N rebid by N as being forcing. Style thing. Back to the books.What should South do over 1S with

S:xx
H:AQx
D:Kxxx
C:QTxx

?

Too strong for 1N.
Values and shape for 2N but no spade guard
Not enough H length for X.
3D is workable, but maybe only 7 card fit. Anyway I would play that as a bit weaker and shapelier
2S shows the same fit and values and leaves 2N open where 3D does not.

(I agree that 2C on the OP hand is better than 2S)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 07:01

View Postsfi, on 2014-August-11, 20:23, said:

Because I would expect 2NT on the actual sequence to accept the game try. North doesn't have extras, so the only bid available is 3D on the three card suit. North's bidding looks totally normal with this hand. South could have asked for a spade stopper by bidding 3S over 3D and then you would reach 3NT.

Over a forcing 2C response, 2NT doesn't show extras.

I suppose you are right that 2NT would show extras since it is hard to come up with a different explanation for the 3 bid. But I also think that it is ilogical to have 2NT being forcing after a 2 freebid but nonforcing after a 3 rebid. While this South hand has an alternative to 2, it is easy to construct a South hand that has to bid 2 with 4-card diamond support, and then it's nice to have a NF 2NT rebid available.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-12, 07:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-11, 22:44, said:

I didn't read a 2N rebid by N as being forcing. Style thing. Back to the books.What should South do over 1S with
S:xx
H:AQx
D:Kxxx
C:QTxx
?
Too strong for 1N.
Values and shape for 2N but no spade guard
Not enough H length for X.
3D is workable, but maybe only 7 card fit. Anyway I would play that as a bit weaker and shapelier
2S shows the same fit and values and leaves 2N open where 3D does not.

(I agree that 2C on the OP hand is better than 2S)

A couple of deacdes ago, we'd make negative doubles with this hand. The double said "I have enough to bid, but nothing in particular to say". The majority of the time you had four of the unbid major, but not always. It appears that style is unacceptable now.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 07:11

I think it's silly not being able to show Kxxx of diamonds when partner almost always has 4+ of them and is likely to be facing a raise of spades. After a nebolous (Precision) 1 opening, I have more sympathy for a negative double.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 14:04

I disagree with the notion that 2NT would accept the game try. It is natural and non-forcing. Not to mention the only sensible call with this hand type.

#14 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-12, 19:46

View Postiandayre, on 2014-August-12, 14:04, said:

I disagree with the notion that 2NT would accept the game try. It is natural and non-forcing. Not to mention the only sensible call with this hand type.

Everyone knows most likey game with a fit is 3N not 5. So it is beneficial for Gib to be able to bid 2N with a hand with near perfect stoppers in all suits for there to be any chance to play in 3N. Rebidding 3-card suit could easily end-up in 4-3 fit as here (yes 2 would have been better but 2 has to have an eye one 3N. bidding 3 later would be a game force.

I agree with landayre there is no reason 2N needs extra values. Gib can bid non-forcing 2N after in inverted minor raise which seems analogous.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users