• You cannot reply to this topic

What's the point?

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-12, 08:45

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I'm noticing that with frustrating regularity the robot does not have what the system notes say it should have for its bids. Is there a reason for this? Notice the display hand. Here, North is supposed to have 10-11 HCP and biddable hearts for its double. North is fully a queen short of the HCP requirement; and I'm not sure what "biddable" means in this context, but North might not have a trump trick were it not for South's holding.

This South has obviously seen North's act before, and earned a good result by pulling the double and settling for a small minus. Not quite as clever, though, as the person who guessed to pass a full opening bid. 15 South's sat for the double of 2, which is a lock for -100; but each time North defended so as to insure that a beatable contract would be made.

The irony is that the robot enforces HCP requirements on South with an iron hand. If you make a call in the pass out seat for which you are a little light, North (who has passed through the first rounds of bidding despite having a good hand) will wake up and leap to game. If South will be punished for overbidding, is it unreasonable to suggest that the robot have the goods for the bids that it makes?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-12, 10:06

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-August-12, 08:45, said:

... and I'm not sure what "biddable" means in this context...

There is a posted document that explains all the "code words" used in GIB explanation. To view it, go to the pinned "Understand GIB bid explanations" thread near the top of the GIB section, and click on the link in the first post there. (The direct link is: http://doc.bridgebas...criptions.xhtml ) Of course, North doesn't have "biddable" hearts, any more than he has 10-11HCP, but that's where the definitions are documented.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users