• You cannot reply to this topic

Invite? Vul IMPs

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-05, 01:34

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-September-04, 21:10, said:

Although five card majors is almost universally accepted,

Glad that is settled then. I knew those Norwegian Monacans would never amount to anything!

View Postgehrhorn, on 2014-September-04, 13:39, said:

Agreed. I'm still very much an improving beginner and all I have experience with is SAYC and, more recently, 2/1. If the opening bid in Acol denies a 4card major then there's no chance of missing a 4-4 fit. For the systems I've played 1 is a mandatory bid by responder.

A 1 opening does not deny a 4 card major in Acol but the requirements for a 2/1 in the Stone Age style are very low. Responder will continue with a 2 rebid so the 4-4 spade fit is not lost. In other versions, EBU Modern Acol for example, the hand would be too weak for this bidding sequence.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-05, 03:19

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-September-04, 21:10, said:

Although five card majors is almost universally accepted,I like playing the old fashioned 4 card major system.It has it's advantages.Opening 1 spade deprives the opponents of vital bidding space.Their one level over calls with 6 plus HCP are no longer available.Rarely, it conceals the eight card spade fit which they may be having.In a fixed partnership it makes partners life comfortable.If one employs the Canapé style it allows the partnership to play a two or three level contract in a minor with partner already knowing your nine cards without having to reverse.In fact a combination of Super Precision and Blue Team Club has allowed our partnership to play in great comfort as compared to SAYC.Of course I know that practically all are going to dissent my views but my success in some high level tournaments says otherwise.

Have a look at Roy Hugues' "Building a Bidding System" book. He explains the reasons 4-card majors were dropped.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users