• You cannot reply to this topic

Comments on bidding

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-04, 07:25

MP's
MP's

My partner did hold this hand (or at least similar) at a club tournament against very weak opponents.
- 1: 4+c
- 1: 4+c (I would have changed the bidding to make it look more natural, but then the 2 reverse would not be possible).
- Opp did bid 2 without asking questions about the alerted 1.
- 2: reverse.
- 3NT: to play (2NT would have been lebensohl)
=> What do you think about the bidding with this hand? (Where) would you have bid differently?

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-04, 07:55

First things first. When I have seven diamonds and five spades, partner will have his work cut out for him to convince me the hand belongs in NT. I would probably bid 4D over 3NT even without a 4C bid, and I certainly would do so after the 4C. It could be right to play this in 3NT, but after 4C that option doesn't exist and so I bid 4D.

As to the opponent's 2H bid, who knows? You describe them as weak. It's a relative term but my guess is that most pairs have not discussed the meaning of their 2H bid when the opponents have bid spades to show hearts, and they cannot explain a bid they haven't discussed. My guess is that it shows hearts, and the club bid shows clubs to go along with their hearts. But still, who knows?

Anyway, I bid 4D directly over 4C. And if for some reason I pass 4C, I pull the double. Undiscussed, I think that passing 4C and then pulling the double to 4D is weaker than bidding 4D directly over 4C. No doubt this could be a huge misfit all around and no one can make anything, but I am bidding my diamonds. If after that they go on, and then partner doubles, then I pass. I think at that point it is his choice.
Ken

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-04, 08:39

4 or 4 at third round sounds appropriate to me. 4 already shows 7-5 for me, but I bet this is not mainstream.

4 on the other hand leaves partner room to cuebid A, given that partner (you) are limited to around 12 (from what I gathered from your system on another hand, 2NT+3NT is stronger than direct 3NT) he will find it easy to cuebid with A and another useful card ([p]KQ, Q) if he has some diamonds. And then we will reach a good slam.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-04, 09:20

All fine, but I think 4 over 4 would have been preferable. You bid a 7-5 like a mere 5-4 or 6-4 :)

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-December-04, 09:25

Upon reflection, I agree that 4S is better than 4D. His partner passed over 4C and I was focused on the pass/bid question. but yes, 4S seems better.
Ken

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-04, 11:56

Why am I not bidding 4 on my rebid?

#7 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 03:01

View PostTylerE, on 2014-December-04, 11:56, said:

Why am I not bidding 4 on my rebid?

Because 1 was for .

#8 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-05, 03:04

Thank you for the answers.
4X made (K, A and a cross ruff). Partner had 10 pts and 3=4=2=4.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-December-05, 15:44

If I'm South, I'm certainly taking a call over 4 . The 2 reverse call was based on being a big playing hand rather than HC points. But partner can't know that. If you pass, you are saying you have no clear cut bid. That implies a reverse based more on HC values than distribution.

Although I believe in that old adage "What do you call a 7 card suit? Trump!", I think with this hand a 4 bid is best. Partner is still allowed to have 3 for the 3 NT bid. More importantly 4 shows 5+ spades and longer s implying at least 6-5 hand. So partner will have a pretty good picture of what the hand is. Then, any further action partner takes on the hand is more likely to be right.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users