• You cannot reply to this topic

Losing Options

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-07, 01:54

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

So you check your options when partner's 5 bid comes around to you and you see that EVERY NON-CLUB BID IS A CUE BID and your only other options are to pass or raise. Hint: it will cost you 17 IMPs to pass and 20 IMPs to raise. Your only winning option is to cue bid s, getting a cue bid back from North, and then bidding s at the 6 level, which North will now miraculously pass. Equally miraculously, this contract makes with hearts splitting 3-2 and the K onside.

This makes no sense. If North can have Jxxx for its 5 bid, South must have the option of correcting to 5. In reality, though, North should double 4. At IMPs, the 5 level belongs to the opponents. South can't double because he doesn't know that North has an opening bid of his own - the last time I doubled in an auction like this with a hand like South's, North was 6-5 in the reds with a 6-count for its negative double (and left the double in!) and the opponents made with 2 overtricks.

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-07, 12:27

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-February-07, 01:54, said:

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

So you check your options when partner's 5 bid comes around to you and you see that EVERY NON-CLUB BID IS A CUE BID and your only other options are to pass or raise. Hint: it will cost you 17 IMPs to pass and 20 IMPs to raise. Your only winning option is to cue bid s, getting a cue bid back from North, and then bidding s at the 6 level, which North will now miraculously pass. Equally miraculously, this contract makes with hearts splitting 3-2 and the K onside.

This makes no sense. If North can have Jxxx for its 5 bid, South must have the option of correcting to 5. In reality, though, North should double 4. At IMPs, the 5 level belongs to the opponents. South can't double because he doesn't know that North has an opening bid of his own - the last time I doubled in an auction like this with a hand like South's, North was 6-5 in the reds with a 6-count for its negative double (and left the double in!) and the opponents made with 2 overtricks.

I need to save my post about GIB bid descriptions and just post it every time when it's appropriate. Because it is very frequently appropriate. The idea that your 5H call is anything but natural is silly, and clearly N should pass. But here we are, the BBO people who deal with GIB barely have time to visit this forum and respond to our issues occasionally, they obviously do not have the extensive time it would require to go through the database and bring the bid descriptions up to par. That is on BBO management.

#3 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-February-12, 07:14

Thanks for reporting it.

Should be fixed now ( will show it as natural selection, not cuebid ) and also will show reduced values , not more than 14TP, as you didn't bid that major earlier.

#4 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-12, 09:54

My link

Here is another example of the cue bid trap - I was unable to correct 4 to 5 because it would have been a cue bid. We have struggled to find a fit and suddenly we're looking for slam in what is (not even) a 4-3 fit.

#5 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-February-13, 08:37

In last link 3 showed actually 5+ major cards which is impossible as South would have bid them in the lower level and won't bid 3.

Fixed this in next version, so once South ( opener rebids his minor, major cards will be limited to 4 ( over FSF sequence ).

That make the task a bit easier so to raise this North needs 4+ cards ( and also will promise them ).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users