BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11981 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2019-January-31, 16:09

Yahoo reports: (emphasis mine)

Border agents in Arizona made the largest seizure of fentanyl in the agency’s history, officials said Thursday.

Customs and Border Protection officers made the discovery on Saturday when they stopped a 26-year-old man at the Nogales border checkpoint.

Build that checkpoint! Build that checkpoint!
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11982 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-31, 16:16

And this is why it took a number of armed agents for Stone:

FBI agents seized several years worth of Roger Stone’s communications following his arrest last week, prosecutors told a federal judge on Thursday. In a motion to ask for more time to bring Stone’s case to trial, the feds said one reason is because discovery is “both voluminous and complex,” adding up to “several terabytes of information.” It includes results of search warrants served on Stone’s Apple iCloud accounts and email accounts, as well as warrants served on his home, apartment, and office that seized Stone’s cellphones, computers, and hard drives.
(my emphasis)

You really don't want all that evidence disappearing, do you?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11983 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 17:08

Winstonm, on 2019-January-31, 16:16, said:

(my emphasis)

You really don't want all that evidence disappearing, do you?

He has a Nixon tat, right? Didn't Nixon say something like "Golly, I I think I should have burned the tapes"?
Ken

#11984 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 18:06

Lowest energy president in history

Trump accused of 'stopping working' as schedule reveals he averaged one event per day in January

Former US ambassador to Russia, Dan Shapiro, suggested the president “sitting around watching Fox News and hate-tweeting all day” was better than “doing serious work to advance a terrible agenda”.

I can't see anything that would make me disagree with Dan Shapiro.

It comes after Axios reported last year the president was often only beginning his official day by 11am, in order to give him more time to watch TV, make phone calls and send tweets in what White House officials dubbed “executive time”.

And end of day is usually well before 6PM according to other sources.

Ok, a solid 6 hour day with probably an hour plus for lunch. Americans should feel proud that their president is working his tail off for them.

At least he is able to play 18 or is it 36 holes of golf using a golf cart when he takes a near weekly vacation to his golf properties.

#11985 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 18:28

johnu, on 2019-January-31, 13:58, said:

Chas_R_Stone never really stopped after saying he would. He had a petulant, childish outburst because his mostly ridiculous links and quotes from right fringe sources were skewered by actual facts and started to decompose once they saw the light of day. If I was a moderator, I would have held him to his word and helped him keep his dignity by taking away his posting privileges. Just like the BBO playing area, you can just create a new ID and keep on playing/posting.

I'm just trying to help him get a fresh start. B-)

I just pass through occasionally for the entertainment. Kenberg's well-thoughtout musings always give me something to think about while your juvenile antics always give me something to laugh at. So it's a double-header. I get something to stimulate my thinking and something to ridicule. Thank you for your contribution. I'll probably be back.

#11986 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-January-31, 19:10

Winstonm, on 2019-January-31, 16:16, said:

Why do they need rifles to seize email, iCloud accounts, computers, etc.?

I have no problem with sending agents to arrest him and seize evidence rather than issuing a summons. But it does seem like an excessive show of force to apprehend a 66 year old man.

Maybe they were showing that they're trying to expand unnecessary force beyond just unarmed black men. OTOH, they didn't actually shoot him. #OldWhiteLivesMatterToo.

#11987 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-January-31, 19:14

barmar, on 2019-January-31, 19:10, said:

I have no problem with sending agents to arrest him and seize evidence rather than issuing a summons. But it does seem like an excessive show of force to apprehend a 66 year old man.

The Fed's don't need rifles to seize computers, but thats not why they sent armed agents

Stone has threatened violence on multiple occasions.
That tends to get people's attention.
Alderaan delenda est

#11988 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-January-31, 19:26

hrothgar, on 2019-January-31, 19:14, said:

The Fed's don't need rifles to seize computers, but thats not why they sent armed agents

Stone has threatened violence on multiple occasions.
That tends to get people's attention.

Yeah, I heard about that. I assume he'd hire hit men, not that attack them personally. He's not Al Capone or John Dillinger running around with machine guns, or even an armed bank robber. He's more like an evil mastermind.

#11989 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-January-31, 19:38

barmar, on 2019-January-31, 19:26, said:

Yeah, I heard about that. I assume he'd hire hit men, not that attack them personally. He's not Al Capone or John Dillinger running around with machine guns, or even an armed bank robber. He's more like an evil mastermind.

Feel free to make whatever assumptions you want, however, the real question is whether or not or the arrest was consistent with the standards and policies used by the FBI.

The commentary that I have seen all seems to suggest that it was and that the far right is crying crocodile tears trying to distract from the real story
(That Stone has been arrested and massive amounts of data seized)
Alderaan delenda est

#11990 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-January-31, 20:29

Well, well, what have we here:

An organization run by a former Trump campaign statewide director is being investigated by the New York Attorney General’s office for its role in submitting potentially hundreds of thousands of fraudulent comments to the Federal Communications Commission during the agency’s 2017 efforts to rollback Obama-era net neutrality rules.

Research by Gizmodo reveals the group’s deep ties to prominent GOP firms, including one paid more than $31 million by the Republican National Committee to provide email lists of potential voters during the 2016 campaign. Americans whose names were attached to fraudulent FCC comments linked to the ex-Trump campaign staffer confirmed during a series of interviews that their identities had been stolen.

#11991 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 22:35

barmar, on 2019-January-31, 19:10, said:

I have no problem with sending agents to arrest him and seize evidence rather than issuing a summons.

Thought question for you. How many armed FBI agents should be sent to take Don Jr into custody? He's known to have large caliber rifles (and probably handguns) that are powerful enough to take down the biggest elephants in Africa. I'm not saying that he will forcibly resist the FBI, but there's a possibility.

#11992 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 22:37

Chas_P, on 2019-January-31, 18:28, said:

I'll probably be back.

Given your demonstrated lack of self control and "tegridy", I wouldn't bet against that.

#11993 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-31, 23:07

barmar, on 2019-January-31, 19:26, said:

?
OK
bed

#11994 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-01, 04:12

Another successful Dennison distraction to the daily news by using Roger Stone to create a fake controversy about how many agents were sent to arrest him and what sort of weapons they were carrying. I can only imagine the fake outcry when the Feds arrest Don Jr for various felonies.

In the meantime, Dennison's venture into delusion is picking up considerable steam:

Trump Claims Intelligence Chiefs’ Live Testimony Was ‘Totally Misquoted’

President Dennison claimed on Thursday that his top intelligence officials told him their Senate testimony was “totally misquoted” — even though it had aired live on TV. Dennison also insisted that these officials applied the “fake news” label to media reports that they had contradicted key presidential warnings about global threats.

Misquoted? Yes, that is "fake" news. The intelligence chiefs were televised by all the national news networks and all agreed that Korea has not reduced it's nuclear arsenal and it still a yuuuge threat, ISIS is not defeated and is still very dangerous, and Iran was complying with its nuclear treaty. They also had a prepared written summary of their latest intelligence which matched exactly what their oral testimony delineated.

Dennison is becoming more delusional by the day and is a threat to national security. Congress and the cabinet need to prepare to invoke the 25th Amendment when it's clear to even diehard Republicans that Dennison belongs in a white padded room, not the White House.

#11995 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-February-01, 07:27

johnu, on 2019-February-01, 04:12, said:

In the meantime, Dennison's venture into delusion is picking up considerable steam:

Trump Claims Intelligence Chiefs’ Live Testimony Was ‘Totally Misquoted’

Lawfare has a nice podcast where you can hear the relevant testimony

https://www.lawfareb...mmittee-no-bull
Alderaan delenda est

#11996 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-01, 07:52

johnu, on 2019-February-01, 04:12, said:

Another successful Dennison distraction to the daily news by using Roger Stone to create a fake controversy about how many agents were sent to arrest him and what sort of weapons they were carrying. I can only imagine the fake outcry when the Feds arrest Don Jr for various felonies.

Trump Claims Intelligence Chiefs' Live Testimony Was 'Totally Misquoted'

Misquoted? Yes, that is "fake" news. The intelligence chiefs were televised by all the national news networks and all agreed that Korea has not reduced it's nuclear arsenal and it still a yuuuge threat, ISIS is not defeated and is still very dangerous, and Iran was complying with its nuclear treaty. They also had a prepared written summary of their latest intelligence which matched exactly what their oral testimony delineated.

Dennison is becoming more delusional by the day and is a threat to national security. Congress and the cabinet need to prepare to invoke the 25th Amendment when it's clear to even diehard Republicans that Dennison belongs in a white padded room, not the White House.

The continuing claims of media bias/fakery need to be addressed. Part of this could be taking greater care. I will illustrate.
From the cited article:

officials testified that North Korea isn't likely to give up its nuclear weapons

Now, from WaPo , an exact quotation of what was said by Coats:

He said that North Korea was "unlikely to completely give up its nuclear weapons and production capabilities," which the country's leaders consider "critical to the regime's survival."

The WaPo quote is exact, which is better. It does a better job of portraying at least some nuance. "unlikely to give up" and"unlikely to completely give up" are different statements.

My point si not what NK is likely to do, although I doubt negotiations will produce much. I am addressing credibility, and I am saying that if a wrter wants to point out how Trump misstates things then that writer would be well-advised to get his/her quotes correct. Of course in the Papenfuss article she did not put quotes around [isn't likely to give up], but that argument is a bit evasive. It reads like a quote and I imagine she figured people would treat it like a quote. How about using the exact quote?
Try this: If NK is not willing to budge at all on its nukes, then negotiation is pointless. Otoh, if NK is willing to seriously negotiate on some restrictions and monitoring, although unwilling to completely give up nukes, then negotiation is not pointless. My guess is that negotiation is pointless, but I'm not the head of national Intelligence. If he said "completely", the story about what he said should not delete "completely".

I will give another example, although I don't have direct quotes handy. This has to do with the shutdown. Trump spoke with Pelosi and offered her a "deal", She turned it down, after which the media said she refused to negotiate. Not really. I do not have the Trump tweet handy but I read it carefully at the time. He said that his offer was to open the government if Pelosi would agree that 30 days later she would give him his wall, or maybe he said barrier. That was the offered deal. He did not offer to cut back to 4B for a lesser wall, or anything like that. His offer was to wait 30 days, after which he would get his wall. Of course she turned that offer down. That's not reusing to negotiate, that's refusing an offer to give Trump everything he wants in exchange for a 30 day grace period.

This often happens, and by no means always in one direction. The credibility of the media is under assault. This will be tough to deal with, but a good start would be to take care. Don't leave out words in what appears to be a quote, and if something must be paraphrased be careful, maybe have two or three other people read it to see if it really correctly captures the meaning.

Added: It seems to me some Senator should have asked: "Ok, not a complete denuclearization, that's not really a surprise, but do you think that anything useful can be achieved through negotiations?". Maybe someone did ask that. Whether someone asked that, if so what the answer was, and if not why on earth it wasn't asked, this would be the real story. The Senate has perhaps the most knowledgeable people in the country standing in front of them, the topic includes the NK nuclear program, and they don't ask this? Surely they must have.
Ken

#11997 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-01, 14:04

For the taking a position files -- from Meet the folk hero of Davos: the writer who told the rich to stop dodging taxes by Dylan Matthews at Vox:

It feels like I’m at a firefighters conference and no one’s allowed to speak about water, right? Just stop talking about philanthropy and start talking about taxes. … We can invite Bono once more, but we’ve got to be talking about taxes. That’s it. Taxes, taxes, taxes. All the rest is bullshit in my opinion.

Dylan Matthews -- How’d you wind up talking at Davos?

Rutger Bregman -- My book was more or less the ticket to Davos. As you know, basic income is a hugely popular subject in Silicon Valley and I guess they wanted me to talk about that.

During the conference, I started getting this uncomfortable feeling, like no one’s talking about the elephant in the room, right? So it’s all about education, and climate change, and feminism, and inclusion and blah, blah, blah. The solutions are so pathetic, to be honest. It’s, “We’re going to organize another workshop on transparency,” or, “We have this great initiative with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.”

And I mean, there’s some great philanthropy, right? But philanthropy is not a substitute for democracy or proper taxation or a good welfare state. So then I started to think, I can’t just go on promoting my book on Friday. I just can’t do that. I can’t live with myself. I’ve got to state the obvious.

So on Thursday, I basically went to my hotel room and prepared a speech, and I learned it by heart. I got a question the next day from Edward Felsenthal, the editor-in-chief of Time magazine. And he asked me a question about basic income and about poverty and blah, blah, blah. I more or less ignored it and just gave my speech.

The response in the room was quite mixed. Some of the younger participants really liked it, and some journalists really liked it, but as you can see in the video, the Yahoo CFO — and there were quite a few other people like him — really hated it.

And then on Monday and Tuesday, it completely exploded.

Dylan Matthews -- You did a very nice TED talk on the book. Was the attitude at the TED Conference similar or different to Davos?

Rutger Bregman -- I thought that TED was a pretty bizarre experience as well. Don’t get me wrong, I love being able to do that. It’s a fantastic stage to stand on, it’s a really good team that you work with, and I thought that most of the Ted talks I saw at that conference in 2017 were incredible, given by people who really know their subject and did their very best to condense it all into one talk.

But then at the same time, you realize that it’s actually a networking event for the rich and powerful. So onstage you have this progressive leftist thing, but then in the halls, you hear some conversations and talk to some people and realize, “Whoa, you’re from another planet.” I remember a guy who was explaining to me that government always fails and that we should basically try to abolish it. It all sounded completely ridiculous to me.

Dylan Matthews -- I’m curious how your thinking about philanthropy has evolved in recent years. Part of why your speech blew up is it captured this feeling expressed in recent books by folks like Anand Giridharadas or Rob Reich, that philanthropy has gotten a pass and the ways in which it can undermine democracy or entrench inequalities have gone underexamined.

Rutger Bregman -- Take someone like Bill Gates, or the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I’ve got very mixed feelings about them. There’s extraordinary evidence that they are doing a lot of good. They’re basically saving millions of lives, and who could be against that?

But I don’t want to live in a society where we are dependent on the charity of one guy and his wife for something like that. That’s not what a just society looks like in my mind. In any just society, philanthropy should play a very small role, and you need to have a strong welfare state, strong governments, so that together, you can democratically decide on what you want to do.

That’s a point that Anand makes very well, that this philanthropy can be an excuse, a distraction from talking about the real issues. So at Davos you’ve got all these people who earned their money through exploitation, rent-seeking, you name it, and then they do a little bit of philanthropy to distract from all of that. And it can do real damage if you give that a lot of attention.

Dylan Matthews -- I find myself split on this. I look at billionaire philanthropy, and a lot of it is just pure waste — see, for instance, the American hedge fund manager Steve Schwarzman, who gave $150 million for a new performing arts center at Yale.

But my conviction that this is wasteful, and an anti-democratic exercise of raw power, is challenged by the existence of people like Gates. My belief that we ought to have a real democracy where billionaires don’t have that kind of influence through their gift-giving conflicts with my desire to not have lots of people die from malaria.

I’m curious if you reconcile those real benefits that a small number of philanthropists provide with your broader critique.

Rutger Bregman -- It’s interesting to think about a hypothetical world where billionaires like Bill Gates don’t exist, where inequality is way lower in the US, and what that would look like. How much malaria would there be in the world?

I don’t think it will be a worse world. I think you could make a case that it would be a better world — you would be not giving your talks about effective altruism in front of philanthropists, but in front of government officials. I think that’s the world I would want to live in.

Now, I understand that obviously in the short term, we’ve got to work with what we have. So I’m not saying that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation should be abolished or anything. They’re doing great work. But I would want to live in a society where they’re not necessary, where they’re not the people who are doing the work.

And let’s also remember that Bill Gates is not in the majority. Most millionaires don’t have a foundation like that. And indeed, they fund a lot of stupid things. As Branko Milanovic put it, they will fund the Philharmonic Orchestra and then exploit their workers once again.

Dylan Matthews -- A particularly persuasive part of your book is your critique of paternalistic government programs (giving food instead of cash, for instance) and your argument for the decentralizing power of basic income, its ability to give citizens more control over their benefits.

I think for a lot of people in Silicon Valley and the Davos ecosystem, that kind of reasoning can serve as a justification for their role: We can’t trust the government to micromanage, when it intervenes it should be in minimally regulated ways like universal basic income, and the rest of the world should be up to us, as independent capitalist actors, to sort out for ourselves without the government pushing us around.

Obviously, you think that’s the wrong conclusion to take.

Rutger Bregman -- Often, we frame the debate as something between capitalism and communism, or market versus state, or whatever. And I think there’s actually a way around that. It’s what I call the anarchist state. I think the state should think like an anarchist. What you need is a big state in terms of redistribution. You need to have relatively high tax levels so that you can spread the wealth around, and give everyone a bit of venture capital in the form of basic income to make their own choices. But you don’t need a huge amount of bureaucrats in health care, for example, that decide how specifically that health care is being delivered.

A great example from Holland is an organization called Neighborhood Care, or Buurtzorg. They have 10,000 employees in all self-directed teams, obviously funded by the state with taxpayer money.

But then these professionals do everything themselves. They decide for themselves who they want to employ, what kind of education they need; they’re relatively cheaper than the competitors, they’re hugely popular with their clients, and they pay their employees higher wages as well. It’s almost like an anarchist organization, but then funded by the government.

That’s what I’m interested in, if we can scale up those kinds of models. But from a European perspective, for something like universal health care, it’s just not a discussion here. We know it works. It’s hugely popular. I really see a basic income as a supplement to those great achievements.

Dylan Matthews -- One critique I’ve heard from the left of basic income is that it lacks a political economy. Traditionally, the base of left politics has been labor unions and mass worker organizing, who then agitate for what they want from the bottom up. By contrast, there’s a perception that basic income is an idea imposed from the top, that even if it benefits a lot of people, it’s coming from Silicon Valley, from figures like Mark Zuckerberg, as a top-down attempt to pay the proletariat not to eat them.

Has your experience as a visitor in Davos and TED changed how you think about how a basic income could be achieved?

Rutger Bregman -- It’s not necessarily a bad thing if a good idea comes from the top. There are good examples throughout history of real leadership — in American history, presidents going forward even though public opinion is not behind them. Take the example of Porto Alegre, the Brazilian city that started with participatory democracy and participatory budgeting. That was really implemented from the top but then became hugely popular from the bottom up as well.

There’s a lot in basic income for labor unions as well. Obviously not the version where you abolish the whole welfare state and give people one small cash grant, as some libertarians and Silicon Valley want, but if it’s a substantial basic income, then it’s also a universal strike fund. You can always go on strike, stop working. Labor unions should like that.

It was a completely forgotten idea on the fringes of the political debate, and now is being invited to places like Davos. The first talks I gave about it were for small groups of anarchists, and now it’s places like this. It’s another example of what I tried to show in my book: that new ideas start on the fringes and they move toward the center.

It’s the same with what’s happening around Elizabeth Warren’s tax plan and [Alexandria] Ocasio-Cortez. It’s the Overton window moving in the right direction.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11998 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2019-February-01, 14:36

How individual-1 made his money while avoiding gift taxes:

#11999 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-01, 15:40

kenberg, on 2019-February-01, 07:52, said:

The continuing claims of media bias/fakery need to be addressed. Part of this could be taking greater care. I will illustrate.

Try this: If NK is not willing to budge at all on its nukes, then negotiation is pointless. Otoh, if NK is willing to seriously negotiate on some restrictions and monitoring, although unwilling to completely give up nukes, then negotiation is not pointless. My guess is that negotiation is pointless, but I'm not the head of national Intelligence. If he said "completely", the story about what he said should not delete "completely".

Just considering the issue of North Korea.

US analysts say they found secret North Korean missile sites. But Trump says there’s ‘nothing new’

In one of the most specific reports on Pyongyang’s recent nuclear activities, the International Atomic Energy Agency observed actions consistent with the enrichment of uranium and construction at the country’s main nuclear site.

Duyeon Kim, an adjunct senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security, said: “The Singapore summit wasn’t a nuclear deal and there’s no agreement between Washington and Pyongyang that would encourage North Korea to act any differently.

Kim Jong-un knows how to lie to and flatter Dennison and even if he agrees to decommission the known nuclear sites, they are still building new sites and production facilities to replace those that are decommissioned. As it is, continued building of nuclear bombs could only be considered progress by a mentally unstable genius.

#12000 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-01, 15:51

Trump campaign spending erupts as president enters reelection mode

Dennison’s campaign went on a massive spending blitz at the end of 2018 — a sharp increase in outlays, driven by midterm election rallies and digital advertising, that marks an unofficial kickoff to his 2020 reelection effort.

He's already been spending millions of taxpayer dollars on political rallies since the first months of the inauguration. I just hope that he remembers to save some of those "official" campaign funds to pay for more lawyers in his criminal and impeachment cases coming up soon. In particular, Rudy needs a raise. :rolleyes:

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

50 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. kenberg