BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#7781 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-October-31, 10:24

View Postolegru, on 2017-October-31, 08:59, said:

You mean that indictments will be used in order to blackmail Manafort and squeeze him to give a testimony what investigators would like to have? Very effective method, I agree.

I recently took free online course about wrongful convictions in USA. I was shocked to find out how effective is USA criminal system in convicting and punishing people for a crime ... unrelated if alleged crime was actually committed by the accused person or not.

One of the leading cause of that miscarriage of justice is:

I, honestly, would prefer no so effective, but less error prone methods.

I would suggest you read up on how the FBI goes about investigating and charging organized crime families as the Trump sphere is more closely aligned with that type of organization than any normal political organization.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7782 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-October-31, 11:55

Thinking further about the indictments, I'm inclined to believe the Friday leak about the sealed indictments to CNN, a network despised by Trump, may have been approved by Mueller as a message to Trump that his claims of "fake news" have no effect on the special prosecutor's investigation.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7783 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-October-31, 11:59

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-October-31, 11:55, said:

Thinking further about the indictments, I'm inclined to believe the Friday leak about the sealed indictments to CNN, a network despised by Trump, may have been approved by Mueller as a message to Trump that his claims of "fake news" have effect on the special prosecutor's investigation.

It is interesting to note the numbering scheme for the indictments.

In particular, the fact that there are three numbers missing between the first and the last...
Alderaan delenda est

#7784 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-October-31, 12:02

View Postolegru, on 2017-October-30, 15:06, said:

Thanks for your link. Interesting document.
Seems like 2 lobbyists done some job for Ukrainian Government (pro-Russian Ukraine Government 2010 - 2014) without disclosing it in USA and without paying taxes. Crime for sure.
The only problem ... there is Russian collusion?

Michelle Goldberg, columnist for the Washington Post, answers your question in an opinion piece:

....We learned that one of the Trump campaign’s foreign policy aides, George Papadopoulos, pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about his attempts to solicit compromising information on Hillary Clinton from the Russian government. Despite Trump’s hysterical denials and attempts at diversion, the question is no longer whether there was cooperation between Trump’s campaign and Russia, but how extensive it was.

In truth, that’s been clear for a while. If it’s sometimes hard to grasp the Trump campaign’s conspiracy against our democracy, it’s due less to lack of proof than to the impudent improbability of its B-movie plotline. Monday’s indictments offer evidence of things that Washington already knows but pretends to forget. Trump, more gangster than entrepreneur, has long surrounded himself with bottom-feeding scum, and for all his nationalist bluster, his campaign was a vehicle for Russian subversion.

#7785 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-October-31, 12:04

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-October-30, 15:57, said:

No flames yet but the smoke is growing blacker and the temperature is getting awfully high for this time of year.

Vanity Fair reports:

Reportedly, the two lobbying firms identified in the indictment are a Republican lobbying firm (Mercury) and a Democratic lobbying firm (the Podesta Group).

So both potentially face charges as unregistered agents of a foreign government.

#7786 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-31, 12:37

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-October-30, 16:08, said:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio did some pretty horrendous stuff and he was pardoned on a whim...

Not sure why you think Trump would hesitate to pardon Manafort if he thought that it with forestall testimony.
(Indeed many people argue that pardoning Arpaio was a signal that Trump would take care of his cronies)

It's amusing to see how the left are always asking about pardons. Maybe, you got used to pardoning as a way of life under the pardoner-in-chief Barack Obama.

It seems to me like an attempt to create "fake news" by making President Trump's failure to answer or not answer those questions a story. Then you can waste a lot of time speculating whether he will or will do it. It's not news, it's just noise. Just more progressive BS.

I would be shocked if President Trump pardoned anyone charged by the Special Counsel.

Maybe it would be better to focus on the bigger story out of the Manafort/Gates indictments -- just how widespread the corruption is in Washington.

#7787 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-31, 12:38

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-October-31, 12:04, said:

Reportedly, the two lobbying firms identified in the indictment are a Republican lobbying firm (Mercury) and a Democratic lobbying firm (the Podesta Group).

So both potentially face charges as unregistered agents of a foreign government.

Podesta?? TIME TO IMPEACH HILLARY!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7788 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-31, 12:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-October-31, 11:55, said:

Thinking further about the indictments, I'm inclined to believe the Friday leak about the sealed indictments to CNN, a network despised by Trump, may have been approved by Mueller as a message to Trump that his claims of "fake news" have effect on the special prosecutor's investigation.

Isn't that leak a crime?

#7789 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-October-31, 14:50

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-October-31, 12:39, said:

Isn't that leak a crime?

I found this answer for you from Chris Christie:

“First off, it’s supposed to be kept secret,” Christie, a former prosecutor, said on ABC’s “This Week.”

“There are very strict criminal laws about disclosing grand jury information. Now, depending on who disclosed this to CNN, it could be a crime,” he added.

The answer to your question is a definite "maybe".

#7790 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-October-31, 16:10

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-October-31, 11:59, said:

It is interesting to note the numbering scheme for the indictments.

In particular, the fact that there are three numbers missing between the first and the last...

Not to mention there are also multiple grand juries in different districts. I read somewhere that there is a sealed indictment "A" that was not unsealed - I don't recall who was "B" was but perhaps Papadopoulos.

Edit: Found this:

Steve Reilly ✔@BySteveReilly
U.S. District Court for D.C. has four sealed cases in its docket with case numbers between Papadopoulos' (182) and Manafort's (201).
1:15 PM - Oct 30, 2017

#7791 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-October-31, 20:44

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-October-31, 12:37, said:

It's amusing to see how the left are always asking about pardons. Maybe, you got used to pardoning as a way of life under the pardoner-in-chief Barack Obama.

It seems to me like an attempt to create "fake news" by making President Trump's failure to answer or not answer those questions a story. Then you can waste a lot of time speculating whether he will or will do it. It's not news, it's just noise. Just more progressive BS.

I would be shocked if President Trump pardoned anyone charged by the Special Counsel.

Maybe it would be better to focus on the bigger story out of the Manafort/Gates indictments -- just how widespread the corruption is in Washington.

I think this article would be helpful for you to read:

....The point is to muddy the waters, to divert attention from actual scandals. This is something conservative media is uniquely good at. The question is, why? Why is conservative media so much better than liberal media when it comes to making its preferred narratives stick?

To answer this question, I reached out Charlie Sykes, a leading conservative radio host in Wisconsin for nearly three decades. A vocal critic of Trump, Sykes eventually walked away from his show after alienating some of his pro-Trump listeners.

I asked Sykes, the author of the 2017 book How the Right Lost Its Mind, how right-leaning media is able to construct alternate realities for its base, and why it succeeds in ways liberal media does not.

“The conservative media has done a really great job of convincing conservatives that they're under siege,” he told me. As a result, “the conservative media has become a safe space for people who want to be told that they don't have to believe anything that's uncomfortable or negative.”

#7792 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-01, 08:56

I think I have figured out the issue with Trump's "NO COLLUSION" tweet - he thinks collusion is when your car hits another car. And if he did have a collusion, it would have been the best collusion probably ever. :P

#7793 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-01, 09:24

I wonder if the new revelations about Manafort's travel habits will have an effect on verifying the information in the Steele dossier. The dossier claims Manafort traveled to Europe to meet with Russians but Manafort has claimed he did not travel during the time period - but now it has come out that he had 3 passports and has a recent history of traveling under an alias, using an alias e-mail account, and using an alias cell phone account.

With his denials in place, a confirmation that he did attend those meetings for the campaign would probably be checkmate for this administration.

There is also speculation that of the 4 still sealed indictments one of them is for Flynn, who likely has already been flipped - very bad news for Trump administration.

#7794 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-01, 13:40

The APA has been conducting its Stress in America poll every year since 2007, and the latest one finds that 59 percent said this is the “lowest point in our nation’s history that they can remember.”

To be fair, this is also the same 59% who can't remember what they had for breakfast, what they came into this room for, or what they were supposed to do today. :P

#7795 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-01, 13:56

And McClatchy is reporting about the dog that didn't bark in the night:

BY ANITA KUMAR, DAVID GOLDSTEIN AND KEVIN G. HALL
McClatchy Washington Bureau

OCTOBER 30, 2017 7:08 PM

WASHINGTON
Almost immediately after Hillary Clinton campaign emails were hacked, Russians turned to Donald Trump —and not his Republican opponents — to try to use the documents against her.

A professor with ties to the Russian government contacted Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos in April 2016 to tell him Russians had “dirt” on Clinton in the form of “thousands of emails,” according to records released Monday.

Those details come from a plea agreement released after former Trump adviser George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to federal officials about his contacts with Russian officials during the presidential campaign.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the only two Republicans remaining in the presidential race in April 2016, were not contacted by anyone offering similar information, according to the campaign officials.

I had not thought of that connection - of three Republican candidates, the only one that Russia reached out to was the Trump campaign, and records show that no one in the Trump campaign ever bothered to notify the FBI that Russia had promised stolen information.

#7796 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 13:56

What's the difference between $2.6mil and $136mil? About 2 months. Anyone else here that needs 3 different passports? Clearly nothing to see here - all perfectly ordinary, a complete nothingburger. :unsure:
(-: Zel :-)

#7797 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 15:46

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-November-01, 13:56, said:

What's the difference between $2.6mil and $136mil? About 2 months. Anyone else here that needs 3 different passports? Clearly nothing to see here - all perfectly ordinary, a complete nothingburger. :unsure:

3 US passports or from different countries? Some of us are (quite legally!) citizens of multiple countries and therefore have multiple passports. But not three from the same country. With the US at least, when you get a new passport your old one is supposed to be voided.

ETA: I was actually able to open the article (I usually can't open WP articles so I didn't before I posted) and see that it is three US passports. That seems rather strange.

This post has been edited by Elianna: 2017-November-01, 15:48

My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#7798 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-01, 15:57

View PostElianna, on 2017-November-01, 15:46, said:

3 US passports or from different countries? Some of us are (quite legally!) citizens of multiple countries and therefore have multiple passports. But not three from the same country. With the US at least, when you get a new passport your old one is supposed to be voided.

ETA: I was actually able to open the article (I usually can't open WP articles so I didn't before I posted) and see that it is three US passports. That seems rather strange.

It used to be possible to have multiple passports (at least here I believe) when you needed to visit 2 countries where if you've visited one and a visa was stamped in, you couldn't visit the other. Also I believe if you were a business traveller that frequently went to multiple places that needed visas so you would permanently have one or more sent away to get it stamped you could get another.

#7799 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-November-01, 19:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-November-01, 15:57, said:

It used to be possible to have multiple passports (at least here I believe) when you needed to visit 2 countries where if you've visited one and a visa was stamped in, you couldn't visit the other. Also I believe if you were a business traveller that frequently went to multiple places that needed visas so you would permanently have one or more sent away to get it stamped you could get another.

For someone who travels frequently worldwide, there could be legitimate reasons for 3 passports. Some countries won't accept a passport if it shows the person having been to another country at odds with its views.

Still, 10 requests for passports in 10 years seems out of line.

#7800 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-02, 05:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-November-01, 15:57, said:

I forgot about that. I was BORN in a country boycotted by a few others, so getting a second passport would not help me enter one of those boycotting countries.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

407 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 407 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google