BBO Discussion Forums: Doubles and redoubles are not alertable - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doubles and redoubles are not alertable

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-02, 21:32

Many times I disagree with the TD in my club in Chiangmai. The latest issue is about not alerting doubles and redoubles. If you click the link below you can read about it. Lets say my partner overcall 1 with 1 and next opponent bids 2. If I double that to show minimum 5-5 in the unbid suits shudnt that be alerted. My partner knows something opponents dont know but our TD says that its not alertable. Also the opponent can double my partners overcall and I can redouble to show A or K so my partner know he can underlead his Ace if in lead. I think my redouble shud be alerted.

http://www.bridgeweb...mai/page39.html

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-02, 21:37

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-December-02, 21:32, said:

Many times I disagree with the TD in my club in Chiangmai. The latest issue is about not alerting doubles and redoubles. If you click the link below you can read about it. Lets say my partner overcall 1 with 1 and next opponent bids 2. If I double that to show minimum 5-5 in the unbid suits shudnt that be alerted. My partner knows something opponents dont know but our TD says that its not alertable. Also the opponent can double my partners overcall and I can redouble to show A or K so my partner know he can underlead his Ace if in lead. I think my redouble shud be alerted.

http://www.bridgeweb...mai/page39.html

No doubles being alertable is a dreadful regulation. I think that if your agreemen is unusual, though, alerting anyway is probably the right thing to do.

The Rosencranz redouble is probably sufficiently well-known that in the given regulatory climate you shouldn't alert.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   bgm 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-02, 21:51

I guess it is similar to the WBF alerting policy, where players should not alert DBL and RDBL during the bidding process without the use of screen. If your side becomes the declarer side, you can explain that to your opponent during the clarification period. It would be better if you have CC along with you, and you may pre-alert when you meet your opponent before the start of that round.

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 03:18

I am no big fan of those alert regulations ("Announce 'transfer' without saying what it is a transfer to", WTF?) but at least the club made am effort to make some reasonably concise alert regulations so I think you just have to live with it. Ask opps to pre-alert any unusual dbls or redoubles.

The first double you describes is normaly played as negative. It is a bit unusual to have it show 5-5 in the minors specifically but I think that here it is more important to alert the pass ("could be a hand on which most normal people would double such as 2-2-5-4 10-count") than to alert the double. Anyway, the regs say you don't alert so you don't alert.

From what I have seen you post previously from that club it sounds like the club has bigger problems than this. BTW I pressume the TD is a volunteer and that it is a multinational club in a country without a resourceful local bridge federation so I think it is prudent to tolerate a bit of amateurism. Hopefully it is a pleasant club to play at nonetheless. I will surely visit next time I come to Chian Mai :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 10:30

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-December-03, 03:18, said:

I am no big fan of those alert regulations ("Announce 'transfer' without saying what it is a transfer to", WTF?) but at least the club made am effort to make some reasonably concise alert regulations so I think you just have to live with it. Ask opps to pre-alert any unusual dbls or redoubles.

The first double you describes is normaly played as negative. It is a bit unusual to have it show 5-5 in the minors specifically but I think that here it is more important to alert the pass ("could be a hand on which most normal people would double such as 2-2-5-4 10-count") than to alert the double. Anyway, the regs say you don't alert so you don't alert.

From what I have seen you post previously from that club it sounds like the club has bigger problems than this. BTW I pressume the TD is a volunteer and that it is a multinational club in a country without a resourceful local bridge federation so I think it is prudent to tolerate a bit of amateurism. Hopefully it is a pleasant club to play at nonetheless. I will surely visit next time I come to Chian Mai :)

Helen, in that case it happened to be the minors but its offcource 5-5 in the two unbid suits. Its a nice friendly club with people from UK, USA, France, Holland, Scandinavia and more. You are very welcome to visit. Notice me if you will somtimes in future.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 17:17

By the way, I do not think reducing the number of alerts is not a reasonable goal for a regulation.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-03, 21:40

Also consider if someone doubles on the one level for penalty when 99% use that as negative I think that must be alerted.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users