BBO Discussion Forums: single raise in minor after comp. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

single raise in minor after comp. preemptive raise is available.

Poll: single raise in minor after comp. (16 member(s) have cast votes)

whats the minimum for 2D here in a 15-17Nt setup.

1. 2D can be weak enough to not be GF vs 19 bal and a stopper (12 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. 2D should be strong enough to be GF vs 18 bal+ stopper (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 2D should be GF vs 19 pts but can stop in 2NT/3D vs 18pts. (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:44

AFAIK in a weak NT setup, 2Nt here show a hand worth 16-17 pts, with 18-19 bal and a stopper north is too strong to bid 2NT. This mean that 2D need to be somewhat constructive and if you dont want to play game facing an opening of 18-19 bal you must make make the preemptive raise of 3D or pass rather than make the single raise.

However if your in a strong NT setup do you also play that 2D is somewhat constructive or that 2D can be trash ? If 2D can be bid with only 4 pts, it mean that opener will need to bid 2NT wide ranging. 2NT could be some offshape 16 pts up to 19 bal.

If your NT range is 14-16 what does opener do with 19 bal & a stopper ? Do you bid 2NT wide ranging or you simply GF ?

My poll question, assuming that you play 15-17 1NT and a jump to 3D is preemptive what the minimum for 2D here ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-04, 07:26

If 2D is enough to be game forcing opposite a balanced 18 to 19 HCP, what are you supposed to do over the 1S overcall holding something like x, Kxx, QJxx, xxxxx?

You can't deny four card support to an honor with ruffing value. And if partner has spade values, they aren't very useful in producing tricks. You have to be able to take a bid in case partner has a hand like xxx, AQxx, AKJxxx, void - a 14 count that produces game and maybe even slam. But if partner has something like QJx, Axx, AKxx, AJx, being forced to bid on is just insane. 2NT is the right spot.

#3 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2016-March-04, 14:31

This look like a wtp 3D for me. For sure i would prefer to have 5 trumps but QJxx and a stiff is good enough.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-11, 08:00

I See no reason a 2d bid cannot look like xxx xx QJTx QJxx and I would not want that to be GF opposite 18-19 bal with a single spade stop. I also would have little qualms passing such a hand if playing inverted minors on in comp since opener has another chance to bid. Caitlynne ex would be a 3d bid IMHO no matter which way I was playing.

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-March-15, 11:14

+1 for gszes.

How are you playing 1 -(1 )-2 ? If limit+ in , then 2 ought to be exactly the hand gszes suggests.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users